Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Partners stuck overseas

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Yes, it looks like that's going to be the way forward, and asap, before things get even more difficult/impossible.

There’s an SJ train leaving Kiruna at 18:29 tonight, direct to Arlanda airport. Arrives at 08:53 (a nice little 14 hour journey for those who don’t know how big Sweden is!). From there most flights are still operating

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Isn't the airline obliged to provide a refund or alternative means of completing the journey?

That's my understanding of the situation.

Mrs Trufflehound has been in Swansea since March 7 looking after her sick mother (but not COVID-19 sick). She's booked to fly home on Saturday, so keeping everything crossed that KLM doesn't shut down its Cardiff flights before then.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
There’s an SJ train leaving Kiruna at 18:29 tonight, direct to Arlanda airport. Arrives at 08:53 (a nice little 14 hour journey for those who don’t know how big Sweden is!). From there most flights are still operating

It's a hell of a journey, isn't it ? If she can get a flight sorted, today. I think she'll have to take the quickest option available, and that seems possible. Cheers.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Heart goes out to you mate but just astonished until last few days people were still happily flying around during a global pandemic.

Be glad you’re both safe, that’s the most important.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
My parents went to their holiday home in Spain 2 weeks ago and are obviously stuck there now! They figured where it is is very quiet compared to where they live in the UK so they could avoid the worst of it all but obviously now the country is in lock down and they have no option to come home.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Mine is in Tenerife.
Confined to the hotel. Not allowed by the pool or even to go for a walk.
Sounds like prison. And the weather is no good either.
She is told that the flight home is still ok for Thursday, but will only believe it if and when it takes off.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Heart goes out to you mate but just astonished until last few days people were still happily flying around during a global pandemic.

Be glad you’re both safe, that’s the most important.

I know, but when she went, it wasn't an issue - how quickly things have changed, eh?

And yes, that IS the most important, by far.

Thanks for the good wishes :)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Glad some good options for you have come through, and whilst knowing little about Swedish cities and their proximity to each other, getting to Stockholm and taking it from there does feel as though it would be the option giving her the best chance of success.

Good luck!

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

Can't speak for the OP, but we woke up at home as normal on the morning of March 7, only for Mrs Trufflehound to hear her 95-year-old mum had been taken into hospital overnight with a severe infection. Would you have not flown over to be with her if it was your mum?

Despite the surreality of the current situation, COVID-19 isn't the only thing happening in the world. Other shit stuff is also still going on all around us and we have to react accordingly.

I wouldn't say it was 'happily flying around'...

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Holding my breath until next Monday. If travel is still possible at that point, I can then fly back to the UK to be with my family. Otherwise will be stuck in Dubai.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Glad some good options for you have come through, and whilst knowing little about Swedish cities and their proximity to each other, getting to Stockholm and taking it from there does feel as though it would be the option giving her the best chance of success.

Good luck!

Many thanks, Bozza, and I extend my thoughts and best wishes to all in a similar position.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Holding my breath until next Monday. If travel is still possible at that point, I can then fly back to the UK to be with my family. Otherwise will be stuck in Dubai.

No way you can re-arrange plans to get back sooner to give you the best chance?

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
I'm stuck in Czech but I do have a house here and my wife lives here full time.

I divide my time equally between here and Brighton. I'm lucky because I use the company's office when in Czech. If I was to fly back to Gatwick I would not be allowed back in to Prague. I was due to fly back for the Arsenal game.

I do count myself lucky though as my house has it's own pub. You get a lot for your money here. Hope everyone gets sorted and stay safe friends.

Bar2.jpg

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
No way you can re-arrange plans to get back sooner to give you the best chance?

Thanks Darren*– I wish!

Trouble is, I'd then exceed the 90 days I'm allowed in the UK each tax year. Which could suddenly make my entire 2019-20 tax-free Dubai salary liable for UK 40% income tax! Not a possibility I want to risk – arguably these are exceptional circumstances that should make that rule null and void, but with no definitive advice from HMRC I have to verge on the side of caution.

In an ideal world, no money is worth not being with my family, but in the real world we can't afford to suddenly lose almost half of what we earned last year.

If I come back next Monday, I can then make it to April 5th on exactly 90 UK days during 2019-20.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Isn't the airline obliged to provide a refund or alternative means of completing the journey? Maybe push them on the latter and see what if anything they can do. We are booked up for a tour of the North of Sweden and Norway July/August, was really looking forward to exploring this part of the world (by train).

Under these extraordinary circumstances, the airline must provide a full refund or an alternative flight home. The latter being difficult just now. You can also reclaim other reasonable (marginal) costs from the airline, in completing the planned journey, keep receipts.

A flat rate compensation claim under EC261/2004 would fail.

Ambulance chasing solicitors may later come after your business, if they find out your details eg you look online at their website and enter contact details. It’s an extensive industry.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I'm stuck in Czech but I do have a house here and my wife lives here full time.

I divide my time equally between here and Brighton. I'm lucky because I use the company's office when in Czech. If I was to fly back to Gatwick I would not be allowed back in to Prague. I was due to fly back for the Arsenal game.

I do count myself lucky though as my house has it's own pub. You get a lot for your money here. Hope everyone gets sorted and stay safe friends.

View attachment 121115

Now, THAT'S what I call a house!

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I'm assuming that the UK has to allow its citizens back into the country? I'm also assuming that New Zealand will happily see the back of us next week. But I'm wondering what will happen if Singapore and / or Singapore Airlines stops flights. A train isn't a great option.

(Not quite in line with the thread title, but this is a "stuck with partner overseas" post. She doesn't have that war-time spirit we might need...)

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I'm assuming that the UK has to allow its citizens back into the country? I'm also assuming that New Zealand will happily see the back of us next week. But I'm wondering what will happen if Singapore and / or Singapore Airlines stops flights. A train isn't a great option.

(Not quite in line with the thread title, but this is a "stuck with partner overseas" post. She doesn't have that war-time spirit we might need...)

Thing is, she's a Swedish citizen, although has lived, worked and been with me, here, (joint mortgage etc) for nearly 20 years.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Thing is, she's a Swedish citizen, although has lived, worked and been with me, here, (joint mortgage etc) for nearly 20 years.

Sorry, I realise wasn't clear - I was hijacking your thread for a personal question. We're in NZ and wondering about getting home next week. Or not.

Good luck to your partner. It's worse to be apart.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here