Parking in Coldean - residents not happy.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Got my consultation stuff through today, highlights are:

Boundary will be the whole of Coldean (assume Moulsecoomb's shows Moulsecoomb boundaries)
Extra double yellows on corner of Hawkhurst & Rushlake Road, one side of Forest Road, some additional yellow lines on Park Road.
Scheme will operate all day on match days and outdoor events at Amex.
One permit for every vehicle registered at the DVLC.
One free permit (£10 if lost), £2.50 per permit to a max of 25.
Motorcycles can park anywhere
Council will not make a profit - Charges and fines will cover the cost of enforcement, management and maintenance of the scheme.
Consultation ends on 26th October. If there is support (not sure what this means), it could be in place by Spring 2013.

I will be voting against, I think the markings will suffice.

Interesting, thanks for that.

'Council will not make a profit', yeah, right. Is there ANYONE who believes that...expect some spectacularly high 'enforcement, management and maintenance' fees.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
let's just hope most residents see sense and vote "no", assuming it is a simple yes or no response that they want.

Pinkie Brown

Wir Sind das Volk
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR 🇩🇪

Boundary will be the whole of Coldean (assume Moulsecoomb's shows Moulsecoomb boundaries)
Extra double yellows on corner of Hawkhurst & Rushlake Road, one side of Forest Road, some additional yellow lines on Park Road.
Council will not make a profit - Charges and fines will cover the cost of enforcement, management and maintenance of the scheme.
Consultation ends on 26th October. If there is support (not sure what this means), it could be in place by Spring 2013.

25? ???

If any households have 25 cars, no wonder there is parking issue's up there!:whistle:

Smith DID score

formerly Harvey's Best
Apr 25, 2009
Worthing
In reality they have these issues about 25 periods (of about 4hrs) a year, come and live 400yds from the sea and they'll get it for about 10 weeks solid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

MIne hasn't arrived yet but I shall be voting no too. I think the planned yellow lines on Hawkhurst and Forest Road are needed regardless of the football - it's tricky for buses to turn into Forest and Hawkhurst is right by the school, I have to peer out between parked cars to cross the road there.

Mind you, I don't see what good yellow lines will do. When I went to work yesterday I counted 9 cars illegally parked - and that's in a stretch of about 600m. If existing restrictions are so widely ignored, I can't see what good others will do.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
One other thing about this: how do people know when match day is. Suppose someone who hates football drives over to see Uncle Jim for the weekend parks on Friday night, goes out for Saturday and comes back to find car towed away.Is is incumbent on people to know when the Albion fixtures are? Most parking restrictions are for named days (Mon to Fri for example or 10 and 14 Sep), I imagine a good lawyer could have a field day arguing the toss on this one.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
MIne hasn't arrived yet but I shall be voting no too. I think the planned yellow lines on Hawkhurst and Forest Road are needed regardless of the football - it's tricky for buses to turn into Forest and Hawkhurst is right by the school, I have to peer out between parked cars to cross the road there.

Mind you, I don't see what good yellow lines will do. When I went to work yesterday I counted 9 cars illegally parked - and that's in a stretch of about 600m. If existing restrictions are so widely ignored, I can't see what good others will do.

You can access the questionnaire here: http://consult.brighton-hove.gov.uk/portal/bhcc/env/parking/coldean_parking

It is an exact copy of what you get in the post.

Not sure what way the residents will go on this one. I fear the people that bother to respond will be the residents association and the moaners.

As I have said before, do the road markings and flood the place with wardens on matchdays, would catch fans and residents alike but would soon resolve the issues.

brightonlass2009

Sports sports sports!
You can access the questionnaire here: http://consult.brighton-hove.gov.uk/portal/bhcc/env/parking/coldean_parking

It is an exact copy of what you get in the post.

Not sure what way the residents will go on this one. I fear the people that bother to respond will be the residents association and the moaners.

As I have said before, do the road markings and flood the place with wardens on matchdays, would catch fans and residents alike but would soon resolve the issues.

Mine has just arrived in the post and I'm pretty sure everybody in my house will be voting no. Although I doubt it'll make any difference as all of the moaners and NIMBY's will be block voting yes. The only thing I agree with are the planned yellow lines for Forest Road, because it is too narrow on a normal day and people are too stupid to realise parking on both sides of the road will result in the bus getting stuck.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Mine has just arrived in the post and I'm pretty sure everybody in my house will be voting no. Although I doubt it'll make any difference as all of the moaners and NIMBY's will be block voting yes. The only thing I agree with are the planned yellow lines for Forest Road, because it is too narrow on a normal day and people are too stupid to realise parking on both sides of the road will result in the bus getting stuck.

Do the moaners and NIMBYs outnumber the non-moaners and non-NIMBYs?

brightonlass2009

Sports sports sports!

I don't necessarily think they outnumber us non-moaners and non-NIMBYs. However the people at the top of Coldean aren't really affected by football parking so they're unlikely to respond, and I think there are a large number of people who just won't give a stuff either way so won't put across their viewpoint. I could be wrong and people might be outraged at the fact they may have to use parking permits for around 23 days of the year, but I highly doubt it. It'll all go the resident associations way again.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

I think they probably do, as I said to the missus last night, just because someone is a STH doesn't mean they will automatically vote against. Those who are indifferent wont respond at all.

Coldean has a high number of elderly residents and they will go to the effort of responding as they may have been impacted by lack of bus service.

I hope the Hikers, the bookies, the shops and the chippies also try and mobilise some support both within and outside the area as they will see a serious drop off in business if people cannot park there.

Bodular

Jul 9, 2012
They should have double yellows all the way up one side of park road, Forrest road, rushlake road (keep the bus route clear )and stop people parking on the bloody corners. Those are my main issues but it's just common sense the roads are not big enough for parking both sides especially with buses coming up and down.

I like the idea of half an hour parking outside the shops , but to shut Coldean off completely is not needed

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
25? ???

If any households have 25 cars, no wonder there is parking issue's up there!:whistle:

Is it just me, or is this going to lead to some residents buying some additional permits at £2.50 and selling them on to fans who want to park in the area?

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley

So can i still park "safely and currently legal" in Hawkhurst this Friday as I dont have a F****G clue where to park if I cant.

Bodular

Jul 9, 2012
Is it just me, or is this going to lead to some residents buying some additional permits at £2.50 and selling them on to fans who want to park in the area?
Would not be a bad idea but you are only allowed 25 for the year that's the way I read it

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Having been born in Coldean, and still my spiritual home, I curse those NIMBY's....and much love to the good residents of Coldean!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports