Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Parking in Coldean - residents not happy.

brightonlass2009

Sports sports sports!
Look at Gwylan's post on the previous page. Most houses have more than 1 car. (seems to be based on 4000 homes at 2.5 cars per home, which is probably a bit high)

Hmmm I think I agree it does seem a bit high. Not everybody can afford to run a car nowadays. And even if it was 10,000 cars they wouldn't all be on the road as quite a few houses round the area have driveways

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Hmmm I think I agree it does seem a bit high. Not everybody can afford to run a car nowadays. And even if it was 10,000 cars they wouldn't all be on the road as quite a few houses round the area have driveways

I'd say quite a few if then would be out in ther cars on a Saturday! I admit to parking in coldean purely because generally I work up until the last minute and just about get to the ground for kickoff ..in the area I go to there are loads of spaces ...that buss incident which I saw wudnt hav happened if they had coned the area like thy did at the end if the season ..as regards to grass verge parking put som signs up and then get som tow trucks patrolling the area soon discourage bad parking

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I live in Coldean and nobody in my family has a problem with people parking sensibly and legally around the area during the football games. The problem we do have is with them parked on the corners, the grass verges, the pavements and over driveways. That is when it becomes dangerous and annoying.

Point is that the council should be towing anything parked illegally or dangerous. BHA should come to an agreement with the council that any fines for collecting cars from the pound should go towards funding the permit scheme. The more cars that are towed, the bigger the deterrent will be. Ideally, you could get to the stage where the only cars there are those from away fans and they end up funding it!!!!!

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Given the every increasing expansion of controlled parking zones by the Council, it is surely only a matter of time before the whole of the City is parking permit zones or pay and display, so why don't the Council leave Hanover which is receiving comments in the Argus and move straight to Coldean and surrounding area and spend the taxpayers money on implementing a 12 hour a day 7 day a week parking zone.

Job done, and happy local residents then can spend £150 a year or whatever it is, for the priveldge to park outside their home without football cars descending on their precious piece of tarmac for 1.5% of the year (based on hours).

brightonlass2009

Sports sports sports!
Given the every increasing expansion of controlled parking zones by the Council, it is surely only a matter of time before the whole of the City is parking permit zones or pay and display, so why don't the Council leave Hanover which is receiving comments in the Argus and move straight to Coldean and surrounding area and spend the taxpayers money on implementing a 12 hour a day 7 day a week parking zone.

Job done, and happy local residents then can spend £150 a year or whatever it is, for the priveldge to park outside their home without football cars descending on their precious piece of tarmac for 1.5% of the year (based on hours).

Or we could just do that outside of the people who have complained? Not that it'd bother us unless the council want to charge us for parking in our own driveway and garage.
But in all honesty this is the thing that bothers me. If the Coldean residents association continue they way they are going then the council will turn around and say they'll put in controlled parking zones for us. Then they'd complain about it being unfair that we have to pay to park in our own roads. It's a lose, lose situation.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
All the while it's legal to park your car (irrespective of any inconvenience), the people who do this aren't going to consider it their problem. If you have this mindset, extra P&R sites aren't going to be the answer. Even making the Uni and Bridge car parks cheaper isn't going to cut it, as parking Coldean or Moulsecoomb is free.

I agree £1m p.a. is horrific, so how should it be resolved?
If there's a road that needs a yellow line or two, for the sake of the buses, that should be down to the council. Where residents are unable to park during match days, I don't see a problem with the club supply residents with permits at cost, and providing wardens during game time (inc collecting the revenue from any contraventions). I'm sure this shouldn't be costing anything like £1m a year.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Back at Withdean outside the controlled parking zones there was never any outcry that I heard - and there were lots of people parking. The Club have created a rod for their own back on this one.

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
I sometimes have to park in Moulsecoomb for evening games due to the time I finish work. I pay my car tax, I park responsibly and not dangerously, most of the houses have driveways. If cars are parked illegally or dangerously tow the cars away, Simple. Whenever I can I will get the train but sometimes its just not possible and rather than miss the game or leave my seat empty I have to park there.

What time do the park and rides normally close before kick off!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I,ve parked in Newick and Ashurst Road at 6.15 6.30 ish on match nights, so I expect most people are back home from work then and there are often spaces to be found. I don't obstruct anybody there do I ?

Is it inconvenient for locals because they have their spots taken or is it dangerous because of obstructing buses and heaven forbid emergency vehicles. Two different arguments going on here.

I don't ever drive on a Saturday though as I like to drink copious amounts of beer.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The controlled parking zone has stretched to the slums of East Worthing where I live now.
So ? It happens everywhere..... Why are the Coldean lot so arsy with it all ? Let the council pay for it not the club.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
FFS

During our time at the Goldstone it was mayhem in all neighbouring streets including mine, but it was just a fact of life on match days and we all got on with it.

I would say to the residents of Coldean (and I used to be one) get off the NIMBY bandwagon.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Is it inconvenient for locals because they have their spots taken or is it dangerous because of obstructing buses and heaven forbid emergency vehicles. Two different arguments going on here.

The cynic in me strongly suspects it's mostly about the former, with a small degree of concern for the latter.

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
All the while it's legal to park your car (irrespective of any inconvenience), the people who do this aren't going to consider it their problem. If you have this mindset, extra P&R sites aren't going to be the answer. Even making the Uni and Bridge car parks cheaper isn't going to cut it, as parking Coldean or Moulsecoomb is free.

I agree £1m p.a. is horrific, so how should it be resolved?

Not at all. I often park in Coldean. I do it legally. Last year I forked out for 2 packs of travel vouchers and used them about 5 times. The reason being, the f'ing debacle of p&R buses. Load them up and ship them out and I will gladly use them again. Waiting till the end of the game to have to queue for 30 mins whilst a dickhead boards one bus at at a time from a single queue will not encourage me.

Get someone with 2 working brain cells to figure out how to load 2/3/4 at a time and problem solved, and money saved ffs

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
The cynic in me strongly suspects it's mostly about the former, with a small degree of concern for the latter.

I agree - but this is where the club didnt help themselves at the outset. The perception of the issue is perhaps far greater than the reality. They were slow to react and it allowed momentum to build up. I do suspect though that the real cost is limited (to print permits, sell some and give some away free plus pay for wardens) may only be c60 to 80k per annum which I think would probably be coming out of the costs of travel schemes being added to the season tickets.

brightonlass2009

Sports sports sports!
I would say to the residents of Coldean (and I used to be one) get off the NIMBY bandwagon.

Can you not tar all of us with the same brush? Because most of us really don't give a damn about people parking. As long as it legal, and doesn't stop the 24 bus service getting up there. That bus service is shocking enough as it is and doesn't need help.

brightonlass2009

Sports sports sports!

I think the cynic in you is correct. When the Resident's association have spoken about this they have never cited that their main concern is the emergency services and the buses. They just say it's an 'inconvenience' and a 'nightmare' for us all. When it clearly isn't as bad as they are making out.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Got my consultation stuff through today, highlights are:

Boundary will be the whole of Coldean (assume Moulsecoomb's shows Moulsecoomb boundaries)
Extra double yellows on corner of Hawkhurst & Rushlake Road, one side of Forest Road, some additional yellow lines on Park Road.
Scheme will operate all day on match days and outdoor events at Amex.
One permit for every vehicle registered at the DVLC.
One free permit (£10 if lost), £2.50 per permit to a max of 25.
Motorcycles can park anywhere
Council will not make a profit - Charges and fines will cover the cost of enforcement, management and maintenance of the scheme.
Consultation ends on 26th October. If there is support (not sure what this means), it could be in place by Spring 2013.

I will be voting against, I think the markings will suffice.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I agree - but this is where the club didnt help themselves at the outset. The perception of the issue is perhaps far greater than the reality. They were slow to react and it allowed momentum to build up. I do suspect though that the real cost is limited (to print permits, sell some and give some away free plus pay for wardens) may only be c60 to 80k per annum which I think would probably be coming out of the costs of travel schemes being added to the season tickets.

If only the Club had said this is not really the Clubs problem. And I don't think it is.

If cars are parked illegally - then let the authorities fill their boots with fines etc. If not - then let people park.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Jeez, if it's legal to park, big deal. There is a massive football ground 1 mile away so it's gonna happen. I used to live near a school and every morning and afternoon it was murder to park. Just a fact of living where I did. I don't see how many one can moan unless a car is parked illegally. You pay your road tax, park wherever is legal. I have never driven to a match yet, always take train or bus. But it does pee me off that some expect a football ground with 25k people in it not to fill parking spaces nearby. If they are illegally parked fine and tow, that's the councils business, if they don't do it, they are missing a trick and a few quid!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here