[Football] Parish v Barber: FIGHT!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
If playing does happen in June, it's likely that social distancing rules will have been relaxed a bit by then, with the "social bubble" thing that has been suggested:

"Under the social bubble proposal, people would be allowed to combine their household with one or two others, up to a maximum of 10 people."
Bad news, I fear. That looks like a recipe for a new rise in cases.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Elon Musk could arrange for all the matches to be played on the moon for all I care. Actually that's not a bad idea...

Well it was on the radio today that Tom Cruise is in negotiations with NASA to make a film on the ISS so you never know.

Although when I heard about that I though it may just be a cunning ruse to get rid of the mad, Scientologist dwarf. Like Sting and Bono..........

Sting and Bono.png

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Elon Musk could arrange for all the matches to be played on the moon for all I care. Actually that's not a bad idea...

Or better still. Cloud Cuckoo Land.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well it was on the radio today that Tom Cruise is in negotiations with NASA to make a film on the ISS so you never know.

Although when I heard about that I though it may just be a cunning ruse to get rid of the mad, Scientologist dwarf. Like Sting and Bono..........

And try this for a headline

unnamed.png

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
It's a bit of a different thing to head to the Amex on the day of a relegation decider, than travelling to, say, Old Trafford isn't it?

Maybe some will, but far fewer.

I'm also sure I read a suggestion that actual venues of each match will be kept secret to further limit that happening.

Even if they are kept secret to the last minute, theres always going to be some twit who'll get wind of it and release on Twitter or to our darling media.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Stick to your guns , Mr Barber.

The idea of changing the format of the PL competition midway through, with relegation places at stake .

Just.......NO

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I find it totally depressing that every club is thinking of nothing other than its short term self-interest.

Ours included

bobbysmith01

Feb 6, 2015
Simple, why don't we just play when it's safe to play and forget about all these crappy ideas re Neutral or Closed doors. Parish is thinking money and Barber what's best for the Albion and football. Best solution is for the government to say 'no sport until safe' and sorted, but they seem to scared to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
What is the thinking behind playing at neutral venues anyway? If there are no spectators why does it matter?

The thinking is that supporters are all stupid. Well some are. Perhaps some indeed are. But they don't think that the threat of a fine or arrest will stop the stupid ones from turning up.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Part of the problem, it seems to me, that the people who make decisions within the clubs are personally impacted financially. So Barber and other influential club figures will be on giant bonuses for staying in the Premier League. They’re not best placed to try to talk club owners, who clearly are directly impacted, that it might be best to think of the longer term health of football as a whole.

I could envisage a situation where some club owners might 5 to 10 years ahead. Directors in any organisation, rarely think of anything past their next bonus, knowing they’ll probably be somewhere else soon enough.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I do think that a modest police presence at likely venues, is enough to deter people.

I mean in the example that we stayed up on the last day of the season at a neutral venue, if police pre-warned that there would be automatic £100 fine for anyone outside the amex who is not immediately moving on, I don't think anyone would bother turning up.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I do think that a modest police presence at likely venues, is enough to deter people.

I mean in the example that we stayed up on the last day of the season at a neutral venue, if police pre-warned that there would be automatic £100 fine for anyone outside the amex who is not immediately moving on, I don't think anyone would bother turning up.

Do we want to be wasting police resources in this manner? And you'd probably need a fair few officers to cover a stadium rather than 1 or 2.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Barber what's best for the Albion and football.

I think there's a perfectly good argument that getting the season finished in whatever way possible and outcomes being decided on the pitch is better for football than various solutions that involve no tangible outcomes, or ones decided on 75% of a season being played.

It appears to me that we are dragging our heels because we are looking at being dragged back into a fight that we looked like losing a few months ago, and with very significant consequences for the club. And we do have a very good argument against it, which I for one fully support. I just think we need to accept we are being completely self-serving here, and drop any pretences about the greater good.

I can guarantee that if we manage to successfully lead the charge against resuming the season, we'll hear about it from other fans for a long time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here