Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Parish v Barber: FIGHT!

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Besides Barber being absolutely right about neutral venues totally destroying the integrity of the competition, I haven't seen anything about why it is actually essential that neutral venues are used at all.

Good point. It seems to be a 'given' that the police are of this view. I think the assumption is that there is more likely to be a 'crowd' around the ground at home games than at neutral ones. This would both cause a potential problem in terms (I guess) of policing that crowd and the consequent switching of police resources from other activities. Pat Nevin made the point last night on R5 that pubs would be heaving - assuming that pubs are open.

The test on this one is what if Palace were in the Albion position and vice versa? Would we instinctively be supporting the current Barber view if it came from the mouth of Parish?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
The bloke who Parish, allegedly, ripped off, Simon Jordan hit the nail on the head yesterday, they are waiting for the Government to say void the season and then they can claim some of the lost money back on their business insurance policies.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
My understanding was the hope that supporters wouldn't congregate outside grounds thus reducing any virus transfer risks

Yes - apparantly this was the main argument. Still a pants idea IMO.

If next season starts without fans would they consider doing the same thing - 10 'neutral venues'? If not in August then why now?

And what about the other divisions matches - there are 434 outstanding matches to be played across the four divisions - are they all going to be played at neutral venues?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I suspect supporters will still congregate outside neutral venues, or if this is impossible in groups elsewhere anyway.

SAC

May 21, 2014
I suspect supporters will still congregate outside neutral venues, or if this is impossible in groups elsewhere anyway.

I think it is more to do with the location of the neutral ground, the police want grounds chosen that are hard to get to, or easy for them to ensue that crowds don't get to.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Anybody stupid enough to turn up outside a home ground, is still going to travel to a neutral venue though surely....

It's a bit of a different thing to head to the Amex on the day of a relegation decider, than travelling to, say, Old Trafford isn't it?

Maybe some will, but far fewer.

I'm also sure I read a suggestion that actual venues of each match will be kept secret to further limit that happening.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Thinking about it further, if the games are televised then there will be lots of illegal parties/gatherings to watch some of the games.

I think neutral venues won't be the "cure all" that some envisage.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Someone on TalkSport yesterday had a 'plan B' that he was trying to arrange - for all games to be played in Australia, in a region with barely any Covid cases....

:shootself

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Anybody stupid enough to turn up outside a home ground, is still going to travel to a neutral venue though surely....

certainly few hundred, local fans

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Someone on TalkSport yesterday had a 'plan B' that he was trying to arrange - for all games to be played in Australia, in a region with barely any Covid cases....

Sun journalist Alan Nixon. Perth has a low infection rate, 4-6 suitable stadiums. Also talk that the local government there would support this venture as likely they'll benefit from it in £££

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003

Elon Musk could arrange for all the matches to be played on the moon for all I care. Actually that's not a bad idea...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Thinking about it further, if the games are televised then there will be lots of illegal parties/gatherings to watch some of the games.

If playing does happen in June, it's likely that social distancing rules will have been relaxed a bit by then, with the "social bubble" thing that has been suggested:

"Under the social bubble proposal, people would be allowed to combine their household with one or two others, up to a maximum of 10 people."

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here