Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Paper rounds

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I did a paper round delivering to Little Common and Cooden, 7 days a week, no lay ins for me :(
It was well paid considering the amount of papers / magazines I had to carry.
Sundays were rather special, as it felt I was lugging the New Forest around, given the extra supplements that there were..
Tips were great at Easter and Christmas
Bought my first boogie box with it, like the ones that were carried around Brixton on ones shoulders :D

scooter1

How soon is now?
I had a round at Taylor’s in Hove in the mid 80’s, they were the best players and seemed to have the monopoly on Church Rd and surrounding area. I think it was £10 Mon to Sat, and then £3 a round on Sundays. You could easily pick up a couple of extra rounds on a Sunday if you wanted them, and they were small area rounds(my Mon to Sat round, was down one side of 1st Ave, and back up the other).
Before I moved to that area, I had a Leader round and I think it was a penny a paper, plus a bit extra for leaflets on a Thursday afternoon.
And as someone else mentioned, most of it ended up in the machines down West St, minus the quid it cost me to get into the Goldstone on a Saturday

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Either you lot were vastly overpaid, or I am a lot older (sadly, probably the latter). In the very early 70's it was £1.10 for a morning round, 80p for an evening round and 55p for a Sunday morning :down:

Mexican Seagull

Jan 16, 2013
Mexico City
I had Surrendean Road, the upper part for 3 or 4 years every morning, Sunday became a nightmare as all the serious papers started to have supplements so needed 2 bags. Tips were the lowest of my mates that had Greenfield, Westfield Crescent etc. In my final year graduated to helping the newsagent mark the rounds and then doing one if someone didn’t turn up. My mum stuck a breakfast list on my door which I used to tick off before leaving, so ready to munch down before walking off to
Varndean

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I was always jealous of the American kids all they had to do was luzz a rolled up paper onto the front lawn whilst us lot had to try and squeeze a Sunday paper through the smallest of spring loaded snappy fecking letter boxes.
Got paid in £1 notes which always seemed worthwhile at the end of the week.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I had a paper round in 1980 when we lived in the NE. Every house ordered a national newspaper as well as the Yorkshire bloody Post, which was like a Sunday broadsheet in size. My round was all steep hills as well. It was amazing I had the energy for school after that ! The main upside was reading the sports coverage of all the nationals on my way round and I can particulary remember avidly reading up on whatever was the the latest Cram/Ovett face off or world record.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
My first paper round was in Ringmer Road, Chailey Road, Barcombe Road and Newick Road in North Moulsecoomb. There had been a particularly high turnover of paperboys on this round for some time and it didn’t take me long to work out why! Whoever came up with the road names had clearly envisaged quaint Sussex villages but hadn’t taken into account the ‘personalities’ of some of the residents!

Being a ‘posh’ boy from over the road in Coldean, I got twatted every day for the first few weeks by lads from one of the more notorious families until I chucked a (not particularly) funny one liner at the chief twatter, which he found amusing, and the twatting stopped.

After a few months, I was ‘promoted’ to the lush (by comparison) streets of Coldean, which set me up nicely for a Seagulls Lottery round every Sunday evening in all weathers but which got me my North Stand season ticket for free.

Character building, I think they call it!

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I used to deliver papers evenings and weekends in the Lewes road area of Brighton. This was around 1970. Used to get two shillings and six pence weekdays and the same for weekends. Weekends would comprise of one round on Saturday and two on Sunday due to the thickness and weight of the papers. That adds up to five bob a week. Child slavery came a close second:moo:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I still help deliver our free monthly town magazine. It's to every house, and I get the same number every time - yet I always either run out, or have a few spare at the end, as I'm still discovering little flats or doors round the back - or alternatively, find I've been delivering two to one house that looks like flats!

On the other side of the coin, I never had a paper round (I was more into washing cars on a Saturday morning to earn enough for the bus and 50p entry to the chicken run) - but we did get a paper delivered from Parishes in Southwick Square. They had an odd idea of what you would want - as when the Guardian didn't arrive (which wasn't uncommon then), they'd substitute it with the Telegraph as if it were almost like-for-like.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Very briefly delivered the Worthing Advertiser in the early 1990s. About 100 papers, which I had to add in a varying amount of flyers into every week and got paid about £3.

After a couple of months, I mistakenly delivered a paper to a house who said they didn't want it and then got £0 for the week, so I told them to poke it and moved on to the restaurant at Shoreham Airport.

These days I see more cars driven by parents doing paper rounds, either with their child or in their own! But then I often see one or two regular ones around this way early doors when I'm out for a run.

Good way to learn life lessons, hard way to earn money!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I see a young lad out on his bike delivering around Findon Valley/High Salvington most weekday mornings when I'm out with the dog.

Tend to pass him when I'm heading up the Gallops around 6:30, with him going the other way, and then again around 7:15 when we cross in the other direction.

It always impresses as the first thing I have to do when I get in is all-but-drag my 13-y-o out of bed to start getting ready for school.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
Used to get £2 a week for the evening week days plus 50p for Saturday evenings.....but you had to wait for the papers to come in because of the football scores.
I went in one day and was told I wan't needed anymore, as the blokes nephew was taking over my rounds. This nephew never turned up apparently and I got shouted at for not wanting my job back!

smiler

Jan 12, 2006
Shoreham by Sea
I had a morning round in 1966 while saving up for a trip to Sweden. It was 7 days a week for £1 . I rarely was able to do 7 days so I did not get the full £1!

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I had my own paper round, but would cover my mate's when he was on holiday. Unfortunately his was up Eldred Avenue in Westdene. It was a killer.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here