Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I had an Argus paper round in the early 80s, six afternoons a week, in Newhaven after school. From memory I was paid £2.50 to begin with and then had a whopping pay rise upto £3. Also had a Sunday round which was better money, £1.50 and tips. This was for Haven News, which is long gone.
Also had a round for the East Sussex Promotor, a free rag, but didn’t last long as it needed to go in every house and it took ages.
The money was used to attend Albion matches, when I could swap out a Saturday afternoon.
Can you remind me where Haven News was, Google isn’t helping me. I remember Dees, Baldwins, Book and Bacca (and Darkie Knight’s fishing tackle shop out the back).

NODC

Apr 19, 2012
My daughter has just started a paper round 6 days a weeks busiest day is 12 papers all for £25. I keep reminding her that in my day my paper round was 7days a week and I had 80 plus houses and a hotel at the end of the route, had to have 2 bags most days all for £10 a week!

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I delivered leaflets and the free Thursday local newspaper. It paid well and, within reason, it was up to me when I delivered them. Early morning was best because you could walk across gardens without being moaned at. When bovril cubes started , I had to deliver 500 sample cards, each card having two bovril cubes glued to the card. They were cumbersome to carry but the satisfaction of the mess Seaford dogs were making with them once they went through the letter box made up for it.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I did a round in Kemp Town and when we moved to Westdene I did 7 days a week there.
My later round was tough as Westdene is quite hilly and the round started a long way from the shop and all uphill with a bag that was really heavy.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
6 days a week in Coldean. I lived down the bottom end of Rushlake Road but my papers were collected from the top shops. Quite a big route that meandered all the way around the estate (village lol) and finished up on Ridge View so nice and close to home.
My 89 year old mum still lives in Ridge View. Mum and dad had the Argus delivered every night. She still does.We moved there in the early seventies in my early teens.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Did one around durrington for a few years about 15 years ago.

£11 a week which seemed very little as my Sunday round was MASSIVE and took around one and half hours alone.

Think the owner pocketed our cash

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Haven News was in South Road, near the chippie, opposite the Prince Of Wales.
I think I remember it. For some reason I remember a car accessory shop along that parade as well.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Thanks for this. It’s good to know paper rounds still exist. If I lived in the UK I’d definitely get a physical paper delivered.

I’m struggling to remember how much I made in the early 80s but I think it was around 30p a week. Sundays paid better but the real money was with the direct Argus round; I think this was a pound or two. A long evening which started with waiting at the bus stop opposite The Schooner Garage for a lady which drove an Argus van.
My lad’s round is a joke. We are in Warwick and he delivers to all the houses down by the castle with gardens backing onto the river and a few town houses in the town centre. Reasonable places. https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/140413427#/?channel=RES_BUY

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Did the morning papers 7 days a week and the Leader one evening. Sometimes did the Argus as cover (paid better).

Christmas bonuses were great. I wrote personal Christmas cards to all customers :)

Paul Schofield used to tip well :)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Seeing this still going, did three years of service from age 11, Valley Road Portslade.

Very few memories many years later other than getting mugged for my papers at the LCC reformed school on Mile Oak road by four of the little sods, a lady who would open the door in her 'nightie' to actually receive her paper and strangely, a little yappy dog halfway round that would grab the paper you posted.

So open letter box, peep through, line up paper and wait for the little shit to run up the hallway. If you hit the paper full force just has he jumped, you could knock the little bastard halfway back down the hall. There wasn't a lot of other entertainment in Upper Portslade on a Sunday morning :shrug:

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
7 days a week, 6am start every day for £12 in the late 90’s/early 00’s.

I lasted less than a year, I assumed we got our birthdays off and was fired the next day.

I have not been a morning person since

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes, and some sort of computer shop, and the police station at the end of the road. Morocco’s cafe down the road too.
I remember Morocco cafe...and Meeching Hall either next door or next door but one. I friend's relative had some connection to the chippy so we would occassionally go in there for free chips if we were over that way on our bikes (I lived on the valley estate).

Happy days.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Seeing this still going, did three years of service from age 11, Valley Road Portslade.

Very few memories many years later other than getting mugged for my papers at the LCC reformed school on Mile Oak road by four of the little sods, a lady who would open the door in her 'nightie' to actually receive her paper and strangely, a little yappy dog halfway round that would grab the paper you posted.

So open letter box, peep through, line up paper and wait for the little shit to run up the hallway. If you hit the paper full force just has he jumped, you could knock the little bastard halfway back down the hall. There wasn't a lot of other entertainment in Upper Portslade on a Sunday morning :shrug:
I delivered to one house that as soon as the paper went through the letterbox a dog would grab it. One day I decided to have a game with the dog and try and pull the paper back. This went on for a couple of days until the homeowner opened the front door, I was expecting to get a mouthful but the chap apologised and introduced me to his playful dog. :smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here