Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Panorama Tonight - 28th May

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Dont forget we played in the Ukraine in October 2009 and there was NO trouble.

England Away: A v Ukraine 10.10.2009

I am going and dont expect major problems. Dont foget the scare stories when Euro 96 was in England and they showed the Brighton v York match as reasons why Euro 96 was going to be a bloodbath!

There were some shocking scenes in the programme but you can make any country look bad.

UEFA will say that they hold tournaments in countries like Poland and Ukraine to drag them into the 21st century otherwise nothing changes.

Good post Mark, you probably more than most on here are qualified to give opinion on what its like following England abroad

Dec 29, 2011
Why are the nay-sayers and apologists persisting in saying that there are or will be no problems. There will be mayhem, the English will take over a few pubs, then get no protection once the boot boys get together for a rumble, in fact the English will probably get the blame, that's how it always goes.....
Only 6,000 England fans going apparently (however of these 6,000 a large majority are probably ultras, not foreign to a small ruck).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I am going and dont expect major problems. Dont foget the scare stories when Euro 96 was in England and they showed the Brighton v York match as reasons why Euro 96 was going to be a bloodbath!

hmmm. its a bit different. that was an isolated incident, the right wing doesnt appear to be isolated in the Ukraine. is the attack on the asians unique? the general racism isnt, its been mentioned before (wasnt there a Champions League incident?)

maybe its fine for English, also Germans, Dutch, Swedish and other "aryans". doesnt mean they wont be ok for the Asians and Africans visiting. i reckon it will kick off massively.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
that was horrendous, they are true scum bags and I for one am happy to be watching in the pub in good old England. If it does kick off (and I hope it doesnt) I hope the English give them a f***ing kicking. Evil people.

Poland and Ukraine are now firmly on my places NOT to visit.

Why write off whole nations because of a few f***ing numpties ? 40 000 000 people live in Poland and most are decent people that have rebuilt their nation after the Nazi's tried their level best to rape it, for that they have my respect.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
hmmm. its a bit different. that was an isolated incident, the right wing doesnt appear to be isolated in the Ukraine. is the attack on the asians unique? the general racism isnt, its been mentioned before (wasnt there a Champions League incident?)

maybe its fine for English, also Germans, Dutch, Swedish and other "aryans". doesnt mean they wont be ok for the Asians and Africans visiting. i reckon it will kick off massively.

So which Asians and Africans will visit the European Championships since they are different continents ?

Dec 29, 2011
So which Asians and Africans will visit the European Championships since they are different continents ?

There will be Asians and Africans watching the Euroes. Do you think everyone from Europe is white and of European decent, and also do you not thinking some people will come from Asia/Africa for the spectacle?

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
I think we all need to wait and see what happens to be honest - The TV companies etc love a good bit of scare mongering - What about all the stag do's etc that go to Poland do they get loads of hassle over there?

Cranky

Jan 13, 2007
Why write off whole nations because of a few f***ing numpties ? 40 000 000 people live in Poland and most are decent people that have rebuilt their nation after the Nazi's tried their level best to rape it, for that they have my respect.

Spot on I've been to Poland plenty of times and it's a great country with great people.

They do have problems with hooligans and racism, these programs have highlighted them. However they are far from the norm.

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
TV and papers are the same , if there is no news , make some . Apparently they have been filming for months , would you go back to the boss and say you have nothing to report ? They could easily have have filmed 99.9% of the population and see how sociable and friendly the locals are but it would not attract viewers.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Spot on I've been to Poland plenty of times and it's a great country with great people.

They do have problems with hooligans and racism, these programs have highlighted them. However they are far from the norm.

I think we need to realise that because a few idiots try and cause all sorts of shit it is not the measure of analysing a whole nation and tarring them all with the same brush. We of all nations should not be throwing stones after the riots and appalling behaviour last year and our own social standards and behaviour does not really come up to the required standards we ask and expect other nations to follow imo. Stones and Glass Houses.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

:blush: doh. though there are plenty of asian and african decendents who might like to go to football tournement. nevermind then, i'm sure it'll be fine.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I haven't seen the programme tonight, but I have a friend who lived in Ukraine for three years and went to a lot of football games there, especially in Kiev. He says he never heard or saw any racism, and he's convinced that everything's going to be fine. I really hope he's right.

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
It feels slightly strange to make make a thread about a programme I think will be interesting. And then not watching it. However, i have a valid excuse that was engaged in some pretty tense games of NBA 2k12 with housemates and was unable to bail.
Seems that this was a thought provoking programme but must be taken with a pinch of salt. One would assume the BBC wouldn't bother making a programme like this unless they were able to find racist behaviour and may, to make the show more interesting, have put greater emphasis on any issues than they necessarily deserve?
Anyway I shall watch it now, thank you virgin for on-demand tv and student contracts.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
It feels slightly strange to make make a thread about a programme I think will be interesting. And then not watching it. However, i have a valid excuse that was engaged in some pretty tense games of NBA 2k12 with housemates and was unable to bail.
Seems that this was a thought provoking programme but must be taken with a pinch of salt. One would assume the BBC wouldn't bother making a programme like this unless they were able to find racist behaviour and may, to make the show more interesting, have put greater emphasis on any issues than they necessarily deserve?
Anyway I shall watch it now, thank you virgin for on-demand tv and student contracts.

Totally get where you're coming from with 2k12. What a game.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
beorhthelm said:

What a ridiculous, ignorant comment. Presumably supporters of Asian and African/Carribean descent who support European teams? Or is it OK that they won't be made to feel welcome? I hope there won't be many black England fans travelling - it doesn't look as if they're going to get a warm reception from the locals, does it? It will also be interesting to see what response the supporters give to the non-white players in the tournament.

I do think the media tend to scaremonger over this kind of thing at times, tho - guess we'll find out in a few weeks, won't we...

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here