Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Panic Buying

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Don't think it's panic buying. It's been widely reported that there's distribution problems (partly Brexit - not enough UK resident truck drivers; partly so many of the truck drivers we still have are self isolating). And then in stores themselves, they're starting to report that self-isolation levels among staff in some areas is affecting their ability to put the stock on the shelves even if they have it.

Covid meant 50,000 HGV license examinations cancelled as well in last 18 months - I'm sure they would not all pass, but that is still a lot of new drivers not going into the system, and plenty retiring at the other end

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Covid meant 50,000 HGV license examinations cancelled as well in last 18 months - I'm sure they would not all pass, but that is still a lot of new drivers not going into the system, and plenty retiring at the other end

With considerably less 'cheap foreign workers coming over here taking all our jobs'.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Textbook Crodo getting Covid pompous

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Really don't know how people will cope without their local corner shop having such essentials in stock. I'm very worried - my local Co-op had literally NO Sun-dried tomatoes in EV olive oil. None.

What is the world coming to?

I went to my local shop and there were no Goji berries, Argan oil or Bonito flakes!!
Had to settle for cornflakes :(

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
You have to take your hat off to the government, getting the media to report on a 'pingdemic' to cover their Brexit incompetence. It's like Dom never left.

What?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It’s not a pingdemic, it’s a shirkers charter.

Fancy a few days off work ? Sorry boss I’ve been pinged, won’t be in until Monday week. Lucky me, nice and sunny too.

Geoffbn2

Feb 2, 2014
Just got back from Tesco’s and saw some bloke buying 4 x crates of San Miguel, 5 x Paella’s and 3 x Sombreros. I thought to myself ….
Hispanic buying

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Only selfish dickheads panic buy and useless supermarkets let them.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
What is the world coming to?

I went to my local shop and there were no Goji berries, Argan oil or Bonito flakes!!
Had to settle for cornflakes :(
Bet you had Pastizzi really.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Lorry driving is pretty much a crap job, little financial incentive to do it and we have made it incredibly difficult for foreign drivers to fill the gaps. Shapps has helpfully " allowed " drivers to work longer hours thus increasing the risk of accidents on the roads. Still, I'm hoping to get a new jar of Marmite in the morning.....and I'll be happy.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just got back from Tesco’s and saw some bloke buying 4 x crates of San Miguel, 5 x Paella’s and 3 x Sombreros. I thought to myself ….
Hispanic buying

Do they sell sombreros in Tesco?

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Lorry driving is pretty much a crap job, little financial incentive to do it and we have made it incredibly difficult for foreign drivers to fill the gaps. Shapps has helpfully " allowed " drivers to work longer hours thus increasing the risk of accidents on the roads. Still, I'm hoping to get a new jar of Marmite in the morning.....and I'll be happy.

One industry i wouldn't be starting out in. Trucks will be driverless in 5-10years.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom

Given drivers an extra hour a day driving for the same money. The pay has gone up a bit, due to the estimated 80 thousand HGV driver shortage, but the real problem is the industry is over regulated. You have to work to 2 different sets of hours, WTD, and EU driving hours. Introduction of a certificate of professional competence which is a load of bollocks. No proper rest areas unless you find a truck stop instead of the expensive services. In Kent your clamped if you park in a lay-by now overnight. Some service stations are now charging HGV drivers for stopping anything over 30 minutes.

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
It’s not a pingdemic, it’s a shirkers charter.

Fancy a few days off work ? Sorry boss I’ve been pinged, won’t be in until Monday week. Lucky me, nice and sunny too.
It does make you wonder, how it coincides with the best week of weather we’ve had this summer!

Looking at pictures of the number of kids at Gatwick, early this week, when state schools hadn’t broken up, I think there’s been a bit of bending of the truth?

My daughter is a teacher and she suspects that a lot of kids have been kept off school in the run up to their holidays abroad, to make sure that they don’t test positive?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria

Hispanic buying

Hispanic buying

Has the panic buying in the joke shop had the effect of only leaving one joke left on the shelves....

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Given drivers an extra hour a day driving for the same money. The pay has gone up a bit, due to the estimated 80 thousand HGV driver shortage, but the real problem is the industry is over regulated. You have to work to 2 different sets of hours, WTD, and EU driving hours. Introduction of a certificate of professional competence which is a load of bollocks. No proper rest areas unless you find a truck stop instead of the expensive services. In Kent your clamped if you park in a lay-by now overnight. Some service stations are now charging HGV drivers for stopping anything over 30 minutes.
Even more reasons why people are retiring and not being replaced by younger drivers not joining the profession!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Appears panic buying is rife again as stocks run low in supermarkets on key items, Mrs Crodo went to our local Co-op this morning to get some avocado, granola and almond milk for breakfast and the shelves were pretty much empty.

:nono:

Only seen the first post, but great fishing I think!

Have you tried toast, or cornflakes or porridge maybe?

Now for the rest of the thread from post #2

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here