Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Panic buying.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
People really don't seem to get that healthy people panic buying stuff might mean the vulnerable get sick/sicker and it massively escalates (I don't really mean U.K. but am sure it's relavent).

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
People really don't seem to get that healthy people panic buying stuff might mean the vulnerable get sick/sicker and it massively escalates (I don't really mean U.K. but am sure it's relavent).

But when NB was heavily castigated here for saying he stocked up he was told:

You can still get supermarket deliveries if you are self isolating.

So what’s the problem?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
It is stocking up in case of illness and self isolation. It is not a worry that the shops will run out of stuff.

But if you are ill with flu like symptoms you don't feel like eating and normally going to bed and sleeping is the best way to get through the high temperature and aches and pains, so why is there a need to overstock with items?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
But if you are ill with flu like symptoms you don't feel like eating and normally going to bed and sleeping is the best way to get through the high temperature and aches and pains, so why is there a need to overstock with items?

Spoticus. Onicus.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

You’re making some very certain declarations on the symptoms of Covid-19 there. What makes you so certain when you likely don’t have all the facts? (Hypothetical question).

I don’t know NBs age here, or how vulnerable he/she is.

But if they live on their own, and there’s a possible enforced self isolation and/or he can’t go out due to illness, how do you propose a person in this situation gets food, supplies?

Your medical suggestion implies they should just sleep through it and not worry about eating. Really?

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Isn't there a contradiction in that people are panic buying toilet roll and baked beans?

I'm going think smart and panic buy the triple thickness kitchen roll which can double up as toilet roll ( potentially reusable :)

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
You’re making some very certain declarations on the symptoms of Covid-19 there. What makes you so certain when you likely don’t have all the facts? (Hypothetical question).

Hypothetical answer just read the interviews with people who had the virus in China and you will have a clear picture of whether anyone contacting the virus will feel like tucking into several bowls of pasta a day

I don’t know NBs age here, or how vulnerable he/she is.

But if they live on their own, and there’s a possible enforced self isolation and/or he can’t go out due to illness, how do you propose a person in this situation gets food, supplies?

Home deliveries

Your medical suggestion implies they should just sleep through it and not worry about eating. Really?

See hypothetical answer

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
Isn't there a contradiction in that people are panic buying toilet roll and baked beans?

I'm going think smart and panic buy the triple thickness kitchen roll which can double up as toilet roll ( potentially reusable :)

I think the contradiction is buying lots of pasta and toilet roll.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
We’ve bought the type of food we will actually feel like eating ie soup and other light meals. We were both badly ill with flu at Christmas so don’t really need dietary advice from NSC. So odd that people need to constantly feel superior but whatever floats your boat I suppose. All the comments about it being selfish suggest that that those taking this view actually believe that food will run out. You probably need to stop panicking and realize that supermarkets will simply restock.

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
If I have to stay at home for a few weeks I will need things to do, so have a few DIY items to assemble, curtain material to make blinds and lots of reading material. I just need to panic-buy a couple of tins of paint then I can finally get the house in order.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
And very selfish.

This.

My family have actually just run out of loo roll and need some. Went to 3 different shops and all were sold out. Anyone who stockpiles unnecessarily is a selfish ****. Cheers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here