Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Panama Papers

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Interesting that this is headline news on the BBC the day of a Panama program on BBC tonight, usual self publicity. When exactly where these documents leaked?

Yesterday evening they became public. Interesting that you incorrectly and instantly hop on the usual anti BBC left wing bias guff, without even understanding anything!

Also surprised at the number of people who think because it may be technically legal then its OK! IMO its naive to think that everything that isn't illegal is OK.

Last edited:

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
the rich avoiding/evading paying tax................so whats new,try avoiding/evading tax yourself even a small amount and the bailiffs come calling, thats life, thats the way it is, now doff your caps and pay up

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This is massive news. People mocked the 'illuminati' theory but it's not looking so silly anymore.

still silly. the Illuminati theory is that some elite group are taking coordinated action to take over the world as a single world government. the Panama Papers reveal (the open secret) that some people in power may be hiding cash away for their own personal gain.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Interesting that this is headline news on the BBC the day of a Panama program on BBC tonight, usual self publicity. When exactly where these documents leaked?

The leaks have been going on over at least the last year (to a german newspaper). Very brave work by someone. But it's been a huge job to collate, examine and present the dat, and that is what has been done by the coalition of investigative journalists (this is exactly what good journalists should be doing). The BBC journos have been part of this work, so the Panorama programme is timed to coincide with the release of the data, not the other way round. Running a programme that presents the story that you have been part of researching is hardly 'self publicity'?

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
still silly. the Illuminati theory is that some elite group are taking coordinated action to take over the world as a single world government. the Panama Papers reveal (the open secret) that some people in power may be hiding cash away for their own personal gain.

Whats interesting to me is that national governments with all the intelligence available to them don't know that all of this is going on, or if they do they can't identify who is doing it, bring to justice or implement measures to stop them?? As Mossack Fonseca have said not a single criminal charge has been made against them in the entire time that they have been operating. I have already seen national leaders coming out in shock and surprise at this leak but I don't buy this, there has to be some implicit involvement of national governments (including the UK) in allowing this type of activity to take place. Whilst it would be a huge jump to suggest that this is an indication of the existence of an illuminati it does point out again the influence that the worlds rich can have on national governments and setting the policy agenda and how many have friends in very high places.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Exactly my view. I don't really bother reading this sort of thing anymore, in much the same way I don't bother voting. None of them are trustworthy and are only out for themselves, their families and associates. It was interesting to see that Cameron's dad was on the list though. Not to mention the company his wife works for is also based in a tax haven. #inittogether

Somewhat ironic that David Camerons mother has been campaigning to stop the cuts and yet her husband isn't contributing his fair share.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Whats interesting to me is that national governments with all the intelligence available to them don't know that all of this is going on, or if they do they can't identify who is doing it, bring to justice or implement measures to stop them?? As Mossack Fonseca have said not a single criminal charge has been made against them in the entire time that they have been operating. I have already seen national leaders coming out in shock and surprise at this leak but I don't buy this, there has to be some implicit involvement of national governments (including the UK) in allowing this type of activity to take place. Whilst it would be a huge jump to suggest that this is an indication of the existence of an illuminati it does point out again the influence that the worlds rich can have on national governments and setting the policy agenda and how many have friends in very high places.

The single biggest location (by some way) for registration of shell companies revealed in these papers is the British Virgin Islands. Controlled by the UK. Also the second (after Hong Kong) biggest location for the law firm and banks involved in facilitating all this activity is...the UK.

I think there is some implicit involvement yes.

I don't buy the 'illuminati' stuff. I don't need to. What we actually know is sinister enough.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Rich people and big businesses dodging paying tax, always has happened and always will happen. CBA getting angry about.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Rich people and big businesses dodging paying tax, always has happened and always will happen. CBA getting angry about.

Can you be arsed to get annoyed by poor people dodging paying tax or falsely claiming tax benefits?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Not really no.

So you can't be arsed to be annoyed by people taking advantage of you and your hard work and taxes that you pay?

Also by saying 'not really' implies that you actually are annoyed by poor people doing it but not rich people, bit weird!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
the rich avoiding/evading paying tax................so whats new,try avoiding/evading tax yourself even a small amount and the bailiffs come calling, thats life, thats the way it is, now doff your caps and pay up

Have you never paid a friend/acquaintance in cash for a bit of work?

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Have you never paid a friend/acquaintance in cash for a bit of work?

That is totally irrelevant as the money gets recycled into the economy. I might pay the window cleaner in cash but he then goes to the pub or Tesco and spends it. Hoarding it off shore is selfish, greedy and immoral behaviour - even if it is legal, which it shouldn't be imo

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here