Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace will always have the upper hand on us

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
A town near Charlotte, NC
Holloway was right when he said "God help us". Fair play to Palace for winning through the play-offs, but they are WOEFULLY short of quality and have simply gone up too early. And Holloway should know all about that having had the Blackpool experience.
Nonsense. Are you seriously suggesting Blackpool would have been better off kicking their heels for a couple more years in the Championship rather than going up, sensibly sticking to a budget, improving their squad, building their fan base, and rebuilding their stadium and filling their coffers in the process.

How long do you think Premier League quality players are happy to sit around waiting in the Championship for their club to decide that the time is right to go up? How long do you think fans are going to be happy to pay prices that will keep such players at the club (as I understand this all has to be done on 'merit')?

Who cares if Palace come right back down again? As long as they don't go all QPR on us, it's the best thing that could have happened to the club, plain and simple.

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
Let them go up, pay out extortionate wages and then come back down with 60million to keep paying the mercenaries with that 60million. Don't forget they have to pay 2 seasons worth of wages with that, this and next. Holloway got Blackpool relegated with what was a better team than Palace will put together. That PL money is always gonna be there, if we go up next year. It's ours. You know we'll be more sensible with cash than them. More fans better stadium, better place to live. Who has the upper hand?

The Blackpool team he took up that year was very poor, Charlie Adam aside. One year on and with a few new players, they were 30 mins away from survival. We already have Speroni, Ward, Jedinak and Williams who are easily Premiership standard and Murray as well who will be back in January. Garvan, Delaney, KG and Bolasie also have a chance of making the step up IMO. There are enough good players out there who are availiable for reasonable amounts and the loan system can also be used, there is no way you can say at this stage that we can't put together a competitve team, it is wishful thinking and sour grapes. Norwich, Swansea and West Brom have all stayed up in recent years and they are clubs in similar size to us and budget. And if we go down, so what? We would have made around £140 million more than if we had of stayed in the Championship, this money transforms our club and makes us very very strong long term.

I also fail to see where you are getting the idea that you will soon be getting promoted? I think this was your year if ever there was one, you missed your chance. Next year it's back to 0 points for all and only 3 teams out of 24 can go up. I can't see you making top 2 next year with QPR, Reading, Wigan, Forest, Bolton and Leicester all having bigger budgets than you and better players. If you make the playoffs it's only a 1 in 4 chance that you will get through. It really is the hardest league to get out of. And don't forget, you will prob be losing some of your better players in Bridcutt, Bridge and Upson and Vicente has already gone. You've also lost your manager who has got you to this point, that is a big blow and shouldn't be underestimated.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The Blackpool team he took up that year was very poor. We already have Speroni, Ward, Jedinak and Williams who are easily Premiership standard.

Agree with all on the list POSSIBLY(not easily, untested as of yet) being Prem standard except Speroni who has been fading badly, he's been awful by Champ standard at points this season.

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
Agree with all on the list POSSIBLY(not easily, untested as of yet) being Prem standard except Speroni who has been fading badly, he's been awful by Champ standard at points this season.

Sorry but unless you watch us week in week out, how can you know this? I saw the bloke play nearly every game and he made 4 clangers all season from memory, the rest of the time he was outstanding including the play off games.

Last edited:

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
The Blackpool team he took up that year was very poor. We already have Speroni, Ward, Jedinak and Williams who are easily Premiership standard and Murray as well who will be back in January. There are enough good players out there for availiable for reasonable amounts and the loan system can be used, there is no way you can say at this stage that we can't put together a competitve team, it is wishful thinking and sour grapes. Norwich, Swansea and West Brom have all stayed up in recent years and our clubs in similar size to us and budget. And if we go down, so what? We would have made around £140 million more than if we had of stayed in the Championship, this money transforms our club and makes us very very strong long term.

I also fail to see where you are getting the idea that you will soon be getting promote? I think this was your year if ever there was one, you missed your chance. Next year it's back to 0 points for all and only 3 teams out of 24 can go up. I can't see you making top 2 next year with QPR, Reading, Wigan, Forest, Bolton and Leicester all having bigger budgets than you and better players. If you make the playoffs it's only a 1 in 4 chance that you will get through. It really is the hardest league to get out of. And don't forget, you will prob be losing some of your better players in Bridcutt, Bridge and Upson and Vicente has already gone. You've also lost your manager who has got you to this point, that is a big blow.

All you do is get involved in pointless conversations where you talk your team's prospects up and talk ours down.

Please give it a rest. Can't you see how ridiculous it is?

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
All you do is get involved in pointless conversations where you talk your team's prospects up and talk ours down.

Please give it a rest. Can't you see how ridiculous it is?

I think the above applies to 90% of the posters on here :)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Sorry but unless you watch us week in week out, how can you know this? I saw the bloke play nearly every game and he made 4 clangers all season from memeory, the rest of the time he was outstanding including the play off games.

I saw the goals week in week out and he had a real wobble towards the end of the season it seemed, also there was a couple of ridiculous stats in the Birmingham and Ipswich (I think it was) games, where literally every shot had gone in from 7 shots on target, at that stage of each game, if you get me.

By your own statement, you therefore cannot judge our players.

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
I saw the goals week in week out and he had a real wobble towards the end of the season it seemed, also there was a couple of ridiculous stats in the Birmingham and Ipswich (I think it was) games, where literally every shot had gone in from 7 shots on target, at that stage of each game, if you get me.

Most of those were down to errors in front of him (Ramage falling on his arse away at Ipswich) or wonder goals. Cresswell for Ipswich was an amazing strike from 35 yards, Ferguson for Brum was also a brilliant free kick.

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013

There is such a disparity in the views of people who even watch the same club week in, week out of the merits or otherwise of their players that it boils down to mere opinions.

There are many talented players in the Premier League, but how good are the teams? Would QPR have been better off building a team in the mould of the limited, yet determined and dogged Clint Hill and Shaun Derry rather than spunking millions on more gifted yet demotivated and disinterested mercenaries?

The owners have indicated that they want to try and retain a nucleus of the current players, as they believe honest endeavour and team spirit go a long way. Let's face it, it did this year. Speroni is one of those players who does have his limitations, but will most certainly play out of his skin to repay the owners of the club. As a fan, you can't ask for more than that. I think the majority of Palace fans would rather see 'their boys' fail gallantly to stay up than see a team of strangers have a better punt.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Palace deserved to go up on the playoff performances, but I'm not quite sure if that was because they actually played that well or us and Watford bottled it completely. Don't think Holloway is a great manager and has possibly been a bit lucky to get through the playoffs after he took Palace from chasing 2nd spot to clinging on to a playoff place at the last game of the season. Think they have a few players good enough to perform at the top level, as highlighted above, Speroni (who may only be good enough for one year at the top, but for the service and quality he's given Palace he deserves it), Ward, Jedinak, and Williams. Always rated Williams highly, much higher than Zaha, but haven't seen him play that well recently so perhaps he's not as good as we thought, or he's just tired at the end of the season. Even if Palace go straight back down then their owners seem sensible enough to budget accordingly and they'll be in a much better position to go back up again. They will need to strengthen hugely to compete next season but it's still a great position to be in, as long as they don't do a QPR.

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
If you are going to hang around the board of another club at least try and be either amusing or interesting. Otherwise what is the point ?

I will take my lead from you, as I'm failing to see your superiority in either of these regards. Proof positive that losing in the playoffs has a far more reaching effect on a sense of humour failure than surviving two admins.

VHA on NSC

Banned
May 17, 2013
Palace deserved to go up on the playoff performances, but I'm not quite sure if that was because they actually played that well or us and Watford bottled it completely.

Could be a bit of both. Every Palace player played their role to the best of their ability, and the manager got his tactics spot on. They did their bit, can the other teams say the same? We had a potential matchwinner in Zaha, and he produced matchwinning moments in two games.

Brighton clearly fell apart in the '4th quarter', was it due to their own implosion or as a result of sustained Palace pressure? I felt the turning point was the Williams miss when he broke through and shot just wide. There had been a sense of arrogance and complacency from some within Brighton's ranks. I felt the crowd went a bit quiet and they and your players realised they were in a bit of a dogfight. At this point, I had no idea that someone had done a poo in our dressing room.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
The Blackpool team he took up that year was very poor, Charlie Adam aside. One year on and with a few new players, they were 30 mins away from survival. We already have Speroni, Ward, Jedinak and Williams who are easily Premiership standard and Murray as well who will be back in January. Garvan, Delaney, KG and Bolasie also have a chance of making the step up IMO. There are enough good players out there who are availiable for reasonable amounts and the loan system can also be used, there is no way you can say at this stage that we can't put together a competitve team, it is wishful thinking and sour grapes. Norwich, Swansea and West Brom have all stayed up in recent years and they are clubs in similar size to us and budget. And if we go down, so what? We would have made around £140 million more than if we had of stayed in the Championship, this money transforms our club and makes us very very strong long term.

I also fail to see where you are getting the idea that you will soon be getting promoted? I think this was your year if ever there was one, you missed your chance. Next year it's back to 0 points for all and only 3 teams out of 24 can go up. I can't see you making top 2 next year with QPR, Reading, Wigan, Forest, Bolton and Leicester all having bigger budgets than you and better players. If you make the playoffs it's only a 1 in 4 chance that you will get through. It really is the hardest league to get out of. And don't forget, you will prob be losing some of your better players in Bridcutt, Bridge and Upson and Vicente has already gone. You've also lost your manager who has got you to this point, that is a big blow and shouldn't be underestimated.

Shiver me frickin' timbers! Nostradamus is amongst us! Do you know why you should never bet on football? Because it is so unpredictable. Clueless nonsense you're spouting there I'm afraid fella.

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
Shiver me frickin' timbers! Nostradamus is amongst us! Do you know why you should never bet on football? Because it is so unpredictable. Clueless nonsense you're spouting there I'm afraid fella.

All i've really said is i doubt you will make top 2 next year given how hard a league it will be and that you prob will lose a few of your better players? Fail to see what i've said that is so wrong.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I will take my lead from you, as I'm failing to see your superiority in either of these regards. Proof positive that losing in the playoffs has a far more reaching effect on a sense of humour failure than surviving two admins.

How condescending. Dick Knight's mum is the last person I would expect to see defending those lauding the hypocritical cheerleaders of the Bloom bankrollers

I mean what does that even mean ?

Why are you banging on about your administrations ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here