Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace supporting journalist has just as little class as his club's owners

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I suggest you read again. I think you may have missed:

"Fool the opposition defence (not difficult with Gordon Greer and Lewis Dunk at the back)"

"Left Brighton’s players eating grass" (There is a fairly obvious sub text to this)

"to stretch the Brighton defence (again, never difficult)"

Of course, these snide remarks would have been made about any other team wouldn't they?

There are a good few example of where he complimented us too...

"...this hard-working Brighton team had twice threatened to make a real Cup tie of it..."

"The Amex Stadium, bursting at the seams with a record attendance of just over 30,000,..."

"The Arsenal defender failed to deal with it and O’Grady finished sweetly inside Wojciech Szczesny’s near post."

"Finally the Amex stirred, with those Brighton fans belting out their Sussex by the Sea melody as they went after this Arsenal team."

There - pretty pointless exercise, isn't it?

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Not really sure what the issue is with the article. I thought it actually flattered us a bit. It was like watching men against boys for long periods yesterday, as you would expect as they are one of the very best teams in Europe. The only player who would get anywhere near their side was ince who I thought kept the game tight and the score sensible. That was the only thing missing from that report.
Agree,thought Ince was a colossus player...easily my MOM...and it was nice to see the birthday boy score...

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
anyone can score goals against Brighton's defence. The last is nonsense when you consider that before this season we have had one of the best defensive records in our division for a number of years.

But he wasn't reporting on Brighton's defence over the last few years, he was reporting on the current defence.

The report seemed pretty fair to me.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
statto, once again your small club talk, neil ashton got it spot, brighton 1st half were outclassed, greer and dunk made to
look pedestrian. there was a huge gulf in the sides, and brighton showed a bit of spirit in the 2nd half.
brighton did ok but your never gonna be the club you want brighton to be unless unless unlesss you as fans get your small time
"we hate palace" behaviour out of you. until you can support your team properly, your never ever gonna be amongst the big boys.
sure, youre have days like this thats whats the cups for, so little clubs can have there moments of in the spotlight!!
ashton was spot on, get over it!!

A crowd of 30,273 says that we are not a little club.

Jan 17, 2015
no, your right there sweeney, big crowd. but a big crowd doesnt make a big club. my point im trying to make is bton fans have got to get bigger themselves. 30 thousand and still the arsenal out sung you. your always be disappointing as a club until the fans unite and support together. i enjoyed yesterday but i was also there at brentford and for attendances like this club is getting the atmosphere is dreadful. so c"mon brighton fans this club could be great club to go and support, but youve got to start uniteing together and loose the small club mentality. support your team dont slag your players.. pick them up when there not doing so well. footballers play on confidence, there showman they love to play to a beloved crowd, supporting them, not berateing them!! c"mon bton fans loose the small tag and unite!!!!!

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
Talking of journos did anyone catch the little dig by Mathew Wright on the "Wright Stuff" just now?
"One in the eye for Brighton fans" he just said! I missed the build up to this comment. He looked even more smug than usual when saying this. Shame, i used to like him.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Oh for god-sake i wish our fans would lighten up. Stop taking everything personally.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
no, your right there sweeney, big crowd. but a big crowd doesnt make a big club. my point im trying to make is bton fans have got to get bigger themselves. 30 thousand and still the arsenal out sung you. your always be disappointing as a club until the fans unite and support together. i enjoyed yesterday but i was also there at brentford and for attendances like this club is getting the atmosphere is dreadful. so c"mon brighton fans this club could be great club to go and support, but youve got to start uniteing together and loose the small club mentality. support your team dont slag your players.. pick them up when there not doing so well. footballers play on confidence, there showman they love to play to a beloved crowd, supporting them, not berateing them!! c"mon bton fans loose the small tag and unite!!!!!

I’m confused. Are you Brighton or Palace?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Oh for god-sake i wish our fans would lighten up. Stop taking everything personally.

Exactly.

In point of fact, this was a big lesson for Dunk. He has been tipped for a move to the Premier League, West Ham among those clubs interested, so this is the level he has to aspire to and in his case it IS fair to judge him by those standards. You just have to be that much tighter to the forward, because the first touch can reasonably be expected to be a good one (Walcott's early goal being a prime example).

Brixtaan

Jul 7, 2003
Border country.East Preston.
no, your right there sweeney, big crowd. but a big crowd doesnt make a big club. my point im trying to make is bton fans have got to get bigger themselves. 30 thousand and still the arsenal out sung you. your always be disappointing as a club until the fans unite and support together. i enjoyed yesterday but i was also there at brentford and for attendances like this club is getting the atmosphere is dreadful. so c"mon brighton fans this club could be great club to go and support, but youve got to start uniteing together and loose the small club mentality. support your team dont slag your players.. pick them up when there not doing so well. footballers play on confidence, there showman they love to play to a beloved crowd, supporting them, not berateing them!! c"mon bton fans loose the small tag and unite!!!!![/QUOTE

Thanks for your advice. You sound like the supporter of a very big club so any help is very welcome.
So just to summarise ; we wont be a big club, despite attendances , until we unite behind the players and create an atmosphere, just like Palace presumably?

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Any defence could have been made to look pedestrian by Arsenal's movement. I have no problem with any journalist calling it as it is. Reports in other newspapers have managed to do this without suggesting that Greer and Dunk are unintelligent defenders, which they are not, and do not have the reputation of being, that our players are donkeys or that anyone can score goals against Brighton's defence. The last is nonsense when you consider that before this season we have had one of the best defensive records in our division for a number of years.

This is the kind of rivals point scoring which is perfectly acceptable on message boards, but doesn't belong in a professional report. Any of you supporting his comments should ask yourselves whether he would have made them had it not been Brighton.

This is exactly right and anyone suggesting the report is balanced is missing the point spectacularly. I think Ashton is pretty good on Sunday Supplement so am surprised he'd stoop to this level.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

It's always a feature of fans wherever you go, that when they are under the cosh, being outplayed or losing that home crowds go quiet. Having watched football for over 45 years now up and down the country and abroad, I suggest that the most noise made by home fans is at the beginning of a game ( it is even a comment made by managers " quieten down the crowd" ) or if they are pressing the opposition. It is a really strange phenomenon that when a team is outplaying another one, the crowd tends to sit back and watch rather that shout their heads off.

The only real flip side of this tends to be local derbies or actually when there is trouble inside a ground which fires up the tribal mentality of a crowd.

Certainly palace have a group of young lads that sing almost constantly and that does create a good atmosphere, but even they went quiet when we played you in the first leg of the playoffs a couple of years ago when we were both at nil nil and neither side really looked like they would score...people just stood/ sat and watched. My palace supporting mates also say the same happens at times in other games.

I just think that some people do go along to watch the game rather than yell and shout and there is nothing wrong with that to be fair ...you pays your money etc etc

stugbhafc1

Stuie G
Aug 4, 2011
Southwick
The way we defended and stood off in the first half was poor and he is right with assessment of our back line it was too easy for them. Not sure bout Arsenal outsinging us as for 4500 didnt seem that loud from my seat in the north

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think we are being a bit harsh on the defence...after all, we were playing against a team packed full of current internationals and to be fair Greer is not the nimblest of players and Didnt stand a chance against girout (sp?) and dunk is no where near as good as we think he is. Bennett is a journeyman championship player against one of the best English wingers in Wallcott ever seen and Bruno the same.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
There are a good few example of where he complimented us too...

"...this hard-working Brighton team had twice threatened to make a real Cup tie of it..."

"The Amex Stadium, bursting at the seams with a record attendance of just over 30,000,..."

"The Arsenal defender failed to deal with it and O’Grady finished sweetly inside Wojciech Szczesny’s near post."

"Finally the Amex stirred, with those Brighton fans belting out their Sussex by the Sea melody as they went after this Arsenal team."

There - pretty pointless exercise, isn't it?

I am in no way precious about our coverage and expected most media coverage to be about Arsenal.
I'm not questioning the overall report. Its generally the same message as other nationals. i.e. gulf in class, but Brighton gave it a go after being rubbish in the first half. Nothing unusual there.
However, when I read the attack on Dunk and Greer, which was nothing to do with their performances yesterday, just a slight on them as players, it jarred as being out of place in this type of report. It was at this point that I checked to see who was writing it.

Its subtle, apparently subtle enough for a lot of our fans to think that it is comment upon yesterday's performance, but look in the BBC, Guardian, Telegraph, Express, or any other national and see if there are any other journalists saying 'we all know Greer and Dunk are rubbish don't we?' There aren't, because its not true and, its not held to be true. For their level, both are considered to be quality, ball playing centre halves.

I use the word 'snide' exactly because, on the surface this is a fair summary of the game, but his asides that I have highlighted look out of place and can only have been included to demean rivals.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Have to agree with a majority on here, I don't give a stuff who a journalist supports just so long as a report is balanced which this one seems to be.

Football fans are a funny lot. Got to any fansite of any club in any division and I bet there is a thread about how the media hate them or how they are never on first when showing highlights. We seem to revel in perceived injustices.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I am in no way precious about our coverage and expected most media coverage to be about Arsenal.
I'm not questioning the overall report. Its generally the same message as other nationals. i.e. gulf in class, but Brighton gave it a go after being rubbish in the first half. Nothing unusual there.
However, when I read the attack on Dunk and Greer, which was nothing to do with their performances yesterday, just a slight on them as players, it jarred as being out of place in this type of report. It was at this point that I checked to see who was writing it.

Its subtle, apparently subtle enough for a lot of our fans to think that it is comment upon yesterday's performance, but look in the BBC, Guardian, Telegraph, Express, or any other national and see if there are any other journalists saying 'we all know Greer and Dunk are rubbish don't we?' There aren't, because its not true and, its not held to be true. For their level, both are considered to be quality, ball playing centre halves.

I use the word 'snide' exactly because, on the surface this is a fair summary of the game, but his asides that I have highlighted look out of place and can only have been included to demean rivals.

Who says his comment is nothing to do with yesterday's performance? Dunk and Greer WERE pretty poor. Granted, generally things in brackets don't NEED to be said, but I still think it is a bit of an over-reaction, Is it subtle, or are you just looking at it with blue and white tinted glasses?

These are from The Independent:

Gordon Greer
The Brighton captain would have done his research on how much Giroud would try to hold the ball up before feeding to either Walcott or Ozil. Unfortunately he didn’t get close enough to Giroud who too often had too much time to control the ball before thinking about his next move. 4"

Lewis Dunk
Playing alongside Greer he struggled with the pace of Arsenal’s attack. He tended to be a little unsure whether to fully commit himself or stand off players such as Walcott or Rosicky. That casual approach cost the Seagulls on an afternoon where they had to be so sure of themselves. 4"

(NA gave Greer and Dunk six and five respectively.)

However, at the risk of undermining my own point, there was also:

"Danny Holla
The Dutch 27-year-old has been pivotal so far this season for Brighton. Yet his effect on this one was lost courtesy of Flamini and Ramsey, who acting as defensive midfielders, snuffed out any attack that Holla attempted to start. 5

Er, really? If pivotal means 'in and out of the side, and not often doing anything of note"...

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Clearly, the Palace-supporting journalist had a gripe with the Albion. Perhaps someone left a turd on his seat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here