Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Palace] Palace just signed some geezer for six million....

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Ten pages on a NSC thread discussing a fairly ordinary Palace signing (40 per page for me). :nono:

Some if us are keeping on topic and talking about the player. Some of us are off topic and talking about Palace's finances. Some of us (them really) are talking about our finances. Some of us are talking about those of us who are talking about Palace's or our finances.

There. Done.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
It would indeed be disastrous. Palace managed promotion on such a number of ST holders. Brighton have posted successive £9m losses, lost their manager, key players, and still find themselves in the same division despite crowds being at capacity. Therefore, I agree you'd better retain the interest of all the 75 minuters you can.

In true palace form you have crammed so many untruths in that post it's laughable really. We've posted one set of accounts which showed a 'loss' of £8m, there was certainly some creative accounting involved there I'm told, crucially none of our losses or debt are secured against any bank loans - look to your recent history to see how that worked out for you. Our finances are being brought into line for the new FFP rules and I'm not concerned at all about them. All this talk of palace having £120m as if the PL have just written them a cheque for that is ridiculous, they have but a fraction of that so far and with new players and contracts, the cesspit of Selhurst costing a small fortune to maintain and improve and all the other costs associated with being in the PL not to mention the overall trend of palace losing money I wouldn't be too cocky if I were you. So we've lost our manager? A manager the majority of Albion fans were not too fussed about losing particularly as we've replaced him with someone who has been met with a largely positive and excited response. And who are these key players we've lost?? A loanee or two that were not even our players? Hardly irreplaceable! We've got the bulk of all our key players still here with some class additions to come no doubt, I'd be more worried about your own team as you look forward to starting the PL campaign with the same championship squad and a few underwhelming additions, the novelty of your big pay day will soon wear off when the limitations of your woefully unprepared team are routinely exposed by the big premier league teams, enjoy - I don't think you will somehow.

Psalm 56:5

Banned
May 19, 2013
Why was there "creative accounting" involved? To what end?

As to your other points, we obviously don't have £120m up front but we will be receiving that as a minimum over the next four years. It allows our owners (who are quite wealthy themselves) to advance cash with confidence that we have some guarenteed money coming in. There are of course extra costs. The changes to Selhurst to allow for 3D cameras, cabling and a press room will cost £1 million. Wages will be higher, and so on. But we are in a much much better place financially than we were. It is next to impossible to even break even in the Championship, and we were losing £5m a year ourselves.

I'm surprised to hear you slate Poyet so much. I don't like him, because of his being an apologist for racism, but he's still the manager who got you promoted, kept you up and took you to your highest league finish in years. Now you're talking like he's total shit and you don't care that you swapped him for someone utterly untested in England? I can understand the excitement that comes with any new manager, but you sound like a jilted lover slagging off their ex.

I personally think we'll get relegated, but I've enjoyed all of our previous Premership campaigns so I don't see why this will be any different. We'll outsing the Prem fans, get a shock victory or two, and if we sensible build a team stronger than the one we have no better equipped to try and come straight back up.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

As to your other points, we obviously don't have £120m up front but we will be receiving that as a minimum over the next four years. It allows our owners (who are quite wealthy themselves) to advance cash with confidence that we have some guarenteed money coming in. There are of course extra costs. The changes to Selhurst to allow for 3D cameras, cabling and a press room will cost £1 million. Wages will be higher, and so on. But we are in a much much better place financially than we were. It is next to impossible to even break even in the Championship, and we were losing £5m a year ourselves.

I'm surprised to hear you slate Poyet so much. I don't like him, because of his being an apologist for racism, but he's still the manager who got you promoted, kept you up and took you to your highest league finish in years. Now you're talking like he's total shit and you don't care that you swapped him for someone utterly untested in England? I can understand the excitement that comes with any new manager, but you sound like a jilted lover slagging off their ex.

I personally think we'll get relegated, but I've enjoyed all of our previous Premership campaigns so I don't see why this will be any different. We'll outsing the Prem fans, get a shock victory or two, and if we sensible build a team stronger than the one we have no better equipped to try and come straight back up.

Do you realise that you are posting on the BHA forum.
It seems like you are just spouting on about what your plans are for Palace, therefore you have your own forum for that.

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012

....or continue to drop through the leagues like Leeds, Portsmouth and Sheffield....followed by a record breaking 3rd (third) spell in administration.

Banned
May 19, 2013
Do you realise that you are posting on the BHA forum.
It seems like you are just spouting on about what your plans are for Palace, therefore you have your own forum for that.

I asked a question about Brighton, answered a question about Palace, made a comment about Brighton, made a comment about Palace.

You're well within your rights to ignore the lot of it if you like.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Keep VHA on board. He is not a troll. Ban him and you risk turning NSC into the online version of North Korea.

Venture over to the Palace BBS and you'll plainly see that he is , posts on here and then scuttles off and reports back to the muppets who admire him.

Banned
May 19, 2013
....or continue to drop through the leagues like Leeds, Portsmouth and Sheffield....followed by a record breaking 3rd (third) spell in administration.

Wishful thinking on your part I'm afraid. Our current owners, having been fans who watched with the rest of us from the outside during the last two, are committed to making sure it never happens again.

We'll go down stronger than we are now, and try and come back up. No guarenteed we'll manage (the Championship is bloody hard to get out of) but we'll be stronger both on the pitch and off than we are at present, and that's enough for me.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

Interesting points, but how does it differ from your lot? Dougie Freedman 'club legend' built a very good attacking side on a shoe-string budget at Palace, Holloway merely inherited it and did his best to sabotage it may I add. This hasn't stopped some of your fans now having a disliking for Freedman and many have now taken to calling him Dougie Greedman?

Banned
May 19, 2013
Interesting points, but how does it differ from your lot? Dougie Freedman 'club legend' built a very good attacking side on a shoe-string budget at Palace, Holloway merely inherited it and did his best to sabotage it may I add. This hasn't stopped some of your fans now having a disliking for Freedman and many have now taken to calling him Dougie Greedman?

A very good attacking side? Freedman is about as defensive minded a manager as you can get. His ideal match is a 1-0 win. We became more attacking minded only because the owners gave him an ultimatum (in the car park after Bristol City away) that he had to be, and that interference (understandably I have to say) from them was never forgiven.

We were 4th when Freedman left. The previous year under Freedman after the same number of games we had also been 4th (with one more point) - we finished 17th.

Freedman will always be a Palace hero for his actions as a player, and I believe he'll go on to be a very good manager, but I genuinely don't think he'd have taken us up. We were on an incredible run, but even Millwall had one of those last year. Holloway took us up. Utterly outfoxed Poyet and Zola in the playoffs, and dragged us through our dodgy run. I wouldn't swap back to Freedman if it was a choice, but I hope he goes on to get promoted with Bolton this year.

Last edited:

Se20

Banned
Oct 3, 2012
A very good attacking side? Freedman is about as defensive minded a manager as you can get. His ideal match is a 1-0 win. We became more attacking minded only because the owners gave him an ultimatum (in the car park after Bristol City away) that he had to be, and that interference (understandably I have to say) from them was never forgiven.

We were 4th when Freedman left. The previous year under Freedman after the same number of games we had also been 4th (with one more point) - we finished 17th.

Freedman will always be a Palace hero for his actions as a player, and I believe he'll go on to be a very good player, but I genuinely don't think he'd have taken us up. We were on an incredible run, but even Millwall had one of those last year. Holloway took us up. Utterly outfoxed Poyet and Zola in the playoffs, and dragged us through our dodgy run. I wouldn't swap back to Freedman if it was a choice, but I hope he goes on to get promoted with Bolton this year.

The difference with the two managers could be summed up by the 2nd leg at the Amex.
Holloway went for the win, bringing on Bolaisie and Moritz.
Freedman would have shut up shop at 0-0 , and hoped for penalties.

Buckley's Mad Eye

Oct 27, 2012
Wishful thinking on your part I'm afraid. Our current owners, having been fans who watched with the rest of us from the outside during the last two, are committed to making sure it never happens again.

We'll go down stronger than we are now, and try and come back up. No guarenteed we'll manage (the Championship is bloody hard to get out of) but we'll be stronger both on the pitch and off than we are at present, and that's enough for me.
£8.5m on a pub footballer and 850k on a waster may suggest otherwise.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The difference with the two managers could be summed up by the 2nd leg at the Amex.
Holloway went for the win, bringing on Bolaisie and Moritz.
Freedman would have shut up shop at 0-0 , and hoped for penalties.

I would still have backed you to beat us sadly

Banned
May 19, 2013
£8.5m on a pub footballer and 850k on a waster may suggest otherwise.

The Dobbie fee includes his wages and a promotion clause, and since we wouldn't have been in the playoffs without him is the best money we ever spent. Has given us a return of £120m.

I can understand your desire to inflate the fee for Gayle, and to rubbish his ability, but I can't see the point of doing either. We haven't paid £8.5m for Gayle, even with add ons. We will have paid a lot for him if all the add ons are paid out, but then we'll be an established Prem side with an England striker so I'd be pretty happy! As for his ability, he's highly rated but as with any signing he's a risk. It's one I'm personally delighted with. Really rate him and think he is an exciting player who, if we get relegated, will give us a massive shot to come straight back up.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
In true palace form you have crammed so many untruths in that post it's laughable really. We've posted one set of accounts which showed a 'loss' of £8m, there was certainly some creative accounting involved there I'm told, crucially none of our losses or debt are secured against any bank loans - look to your recent history to see how that worked out for you. Our finances are being brought into line for the new FFP rules and I'm not concerned at all about them. All this talk of palace having £120m as if the PL have just written them a cheque for that is ridiculous, they have but a fraction of that so far and with new players and contracts, the cesspit of Selhurst costing a small fortune to maintain and improve and all the other costs associated with being in the PL not to mention the overall trend of palace losing money I wouldn't be too cocky if I were you. So we've lost our manager? A manager the majority of Albion fans were not too fussed about losing particularly as we've replaced him with someone who has been met with a largely positive and excited response. And who are these key players we've lost?? A loanee or two that were not even our players? Hardly irreplaceable! We've got the bulk of all our key players still here with some class additions to come no doubt, I'd be more worried about your own team as you look forward to starting the PL campaign with the same championship squad and a few underwhelming additions, the novelty of your big pay day will soon wear off when the limitations of your woefully unprepared team are routinely exposed by the big premier league teams, enjoy - I don't think you will somehow.

I have done a full review of the accounts and there is no creative accounting, apart from the decision not to depreciate the stadium, which REDUCED the losses from £11 million to the sum stated. The losses were also £7 million the previous season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here