Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Palace] Palace just signed some geezer for six million....

COYP

Oct 1, 2012
"We will never again let Crystal Palace spend more than we can afford said CPFC2010"

View attachment 44391

Steve Browett pictured yesterday

I understand its more fun to talk crap than listen to reason but the fact that we just got outbid for JonJo shelvey for £6m doesn't make the figure being lauded for Dwight Gale seem a might suspicious?

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
My word a second thread about the same (not yet) Palace player?
The 6.5m was a load of crap pulled out the Sun's arse as usual. Its more likely to be around 2.75m with a 1.25m add on if we stay up, he scores x amount of goals, gets an international appearance yadda yadda yadda. As it is he was expected to be announced on Monday and its now Wedneday so could be just as likely Darragh McAnthony playing silly buggers again like he did with Boyd.

So Peterborough chairman is lying about £6m rising to £8.5m?

COYP

Oct 1, 2012
So Palace fans on here are saying all the other newspapers apart from the Guardian are clueless. You couldn't make it up.

Well yes you could make it up and quite clearly thats exactly what the Sun has done. As you yourself said Sky is quoting the figure as 4.5m. So clearly if there is a variety of figures being slung around its mostly complete and utter tosh. I choose to believe the figure quoted in the Guardian based off the fact I know the writer and he tends to be a hell of a lot more accurate. But you bleieve whatever you want Chipper :)

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
BBC now reporting the fee as "undisclosed"

COYP

Oct 1, 2012
So Peterborough chairman is lying about £6m rising to £8.5m?

Last season DM said we had agreed an offer for Boyd to come to Palace and it was an absolute done deal. It wouldn't be the first time he's worked the media to meet his own ends. I want to strenuously point out being that I know the skewed rules for innaccuracies here I'm saying 'could have planted the story' not 'is lying'

Footsoldier

Banned
May 26, 2013
lol at Palace fans coming out with this after two years of telling us we paid £3.5m for Mackail-Smith and pretending he's on £20k a week etc.

You're paying a sight more than that sunshine. £20,000 aweek and he's got a clause in his contract that if he won promotion to the premiership with you then he'd get a 30% pay rise.

That was for COYP.

COYP

Oct 1, 2012
I don't recall ever syaing that, so no.

I was pointing out all the people on NSC who claimed it. In the same way there was lots of Palace of claimed CMS was on 20k a week. Its the same old bollocks of taking an imaginary figure and using it to abuse your rivals.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
You're paying a sight more than that sunshine. £20,000 aweek and he's got a clause in his contract that if he won promotion to the premiership with you then he'd get a 30% pay rise.

I call shenanigans.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I understand its more fun to talk crap than listen to reason but the fact that we just got outbid for JonJo shelvey for £6m doesn't make the figure being lauded for Dwight Gale seem a might suspicious?

On what basis? The money you're willing to pay for one player is only linked to the amount you'd be willing to spend on another when it comes to pot limits. i.e., if you've got a 10m pot, and have spent 6m on gayle, of course some other team will be able to outbid you on shelvy, you've only got 4m left.

The other thing is, transfer fees can be so out of sync with player abilities these days (Andy Caroll, zaha v tom ince - either one is under valued, or one is over valued), that a club desperate to stay up might over spend on players (Samba at QPR), teams that will be seen as relegation fodder (not intended as a dig because you're palace, but every season the teams that come up from the championship are looked at as favourites to go down).

The idea that just looking at a fee makes it clear it's a silly amount (even in comparison to other fees paid by the club) is outdated with the way fees are these days.

It's no wonder they've closed the thread on BBS asking questions to Browett.

I should think the more sane palace fans are going mental at spending 6 MILLION quid on a League 1 striker who was a carpenter a couple of years ago.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
According to the Evening Standard it is £6M upfront with add ons. Dagenham could receive a windfall from their sell on clause.

"With Palace expected to pay an initial instalment of £6m for the 22-year-old, it means the League Two club will earn a minimum of £1.2m.

Such a figure will make a huge impact on their finances as their wage bill for the season was £750,000."

Did they spend 4.8m on him? How else can they make a minimum profit of 1.2m on a sale that has an initial instalment of 6m?

EDIT: Nevermind. Just worked it out. Dagenham get the 1.2 profit, from initial payment to Peterborough of 6m ?

Last edited:

Psalm 56:5

Banned
May 19, 2013

That was for COYP.
LOL

I heard it was £40,000 a week and we gave him a 654.2% pay rise.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
They've got squillions to spend this is just the start I'm sure. Crystal Palace and managing finances is not a combination you hear about too often. I rather hope they buy some more very expensive League One players. Worzel must think he's died and gone to heaven after the restraints he had when Blackpool got promoted to the Premier.

COYP

Oct 1, 2012

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
were day 3 into the window being open so "desperation signing" seems a bit of a pathetic statement to make.

You can't attract anyone decent there, a few cast offs and lower league players at best. Bloody great comment calling me pathetic coming from a bloke with 180 posts on a opposition message board....keyboard warrior !!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here