[Palace] Palace hypocrisy

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Return of the Makh

May 11, 2014
"You were just lucky that Pulis was the only person who wanted the job, even Parish dithered hoping for any other candidate to appear."

utter utter garbage? or completely true........ luck more than design

I meant specifically you're talking utter garbage about the long ball football. And how the hell do you know that nobody else wanted the job? You have no way of knowing that!

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness

Return of the Makh

May 11, 2014
3 seasons in the Championship, 2 play-offs. Only a matter of time before we grace the Prem.

That's your problem, you think you have a devine right and it's inevitable. Very wishful thinking, getting out of the Championship is one of the hardest things to achieve in football, and the fact that there are many bigger clubs or clubs with vast parachute payment war-chests, suggests to me that you're going to be down for a long long time unless you get pretty lucky.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
That's your problem, you think you have a devine right and it's inevitable. Very wishful thinking, getting out of the Championship is one of the hardest things to achieve in football, and the fact that there are many bigger clubs or clubs with vast parachute payment war-chests, suggests to me that you're going to be down for a long long time unless you get pretty lucky.

Palace didn't have parachute payments..... in fact the opposite is true, they ripped off creditors, having artificially punched above their natural position on other peoples money, only to wipe the slate clean. Nowt wrong with borrowing IF you pay it back.

If a smaller club with a smaller following and ramshackle infrastructure like Palace can stumble into the premier league, it won't be as hard as you make out for bigger more geared up clubs with 21st century infrastructure like Brighton.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009

Why does believing we will get to the Premiership mean we believe we have a devine right to be there? I think we will get there but I most definitely don't think we have a devine right to be there. I just look at the last 5 years and think to myself if we keep progressing like this then we will end up there.

Return of the Makh

May 11, 2014
Palace didn't have parachute payments..... in fact the opposite is true, they ripped off creditors, having artificially punched above their natural position on other peoples money, only to wipe the slate clean. Nowt wrong with borrowing IF you pay it back.

If a smaller club with a smaller following and ramshackle infrastructure like Palace can stumble into the premier league, it won't be as hard as you make out for bigger more geared up clubs with 21st century infrastructure like Brighton.

We were one of the teams that I refer too, that needed some luck and we took our chance. In the 2012/13 season everything just clicked, we brought in a number of free transfers that excelled, Glenn Murray had the season of his life, and we had a special talent in Zaha that comes around once every generation for a club like ours. We also won the playoffs which is a lottery of 1 in 4. So of course it can happen as we proved but the odds aren't on your side and the fact the gap between Prem teams and Championship teams is widening in terms of the new Sky/BT deals that came into affect at the start of the season just gone, it's going to be even harder for teams like yourselves.

Return of the Makh

May 11, 2014
Why does believing we will get to the Premiership mean we believe we have a devine right to be there? I think we will get there but I most definitely don't think we have a devine right to be there. I just look at the last 5 years and think to myself if we keep progressing like this then we will end up there.

I think it's going to be hard to keep progressing like you have been , that's what I'm saying.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
In our first season - ???

I would!

Stoke finished 9th, It's really not that much of an achievement considering the gulf in difference between the top 6/7 teams and the rest of the league. Norwich, Reading, Wigan all had similar league positions come the end of their first season in the Prem. Look at them now.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
I think it's going to be hard to keep progressing like you have been , that's what I'm saying.

Its always hard to progress. Could you honestly say that you could see us being in the play-offs two seasons in a row when we first moved into the Amex? From what I remember in the second season Palace fans were talking about 2nd season syndrome, not another season of progress.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness

So how do you think you'll progress from this season? Do you think you'll be achieving a higher league position next season?

Return of the Makh

May 11, 2014
So what are the main differences, as you see them, between you and us!

We are in the Premiership, you are in The Championship, that's a pretty big one for a start! Our expectations as fans in the next 2 to 3 years are to survive in The Prem (plus maybe a nice cup run one year!) which is achievable, only 3 out of 20 go down each year. The key for us is keeping Pulis for another 2 or 3 years then we will be fully established due to the vast wealth of the Premiership. I can't see us going down ever under his management but if he left tomorrow I'll admit, we would be amongst the favourites for relegation. Your expectations are promotion which is a lot harder to achieve, only 3 from 24 can do it each year.

Rohana

I'm.Actually.Dead.
Feb 16, 2010
Shoreham-By-Sea
WHEN we walk the league NEXT season, I would be suicidal if we didn't achieve Champions League football in our first Premier League season.

Jesus Christ, if we were to scrape promotion this season I'd have probably ripped your hand off to finish on more points than the 9 Derby once mustered.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
We are in the Premiership, you are in The Championship, that's a pretty big one for a start! Our expectations as fans in the next 2 to 3 years are to survive in The Prem (plus maybe a nice cup run one year!) which is achievable, only 3 out of 20 go down each year. The key for us is keeping Pulis for another 2 or 3 years then we will be fully established due to the vast wealth of the Premiership. I can't see us going down ever under his management but if he left tomorrow I'll admit, we would be amongst the favourites for relegation. Your expectations are promotion which is a lot harder to achieve, only 3 from 24 can do it each year.

A relegation scrap next season is not progression from this season. Prem survival is your only hope. Southampton are the club to be inspired by.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
WHEN we walk the league NEXT season, I would be suicidal if we didn't achieve Champions League football in our first Premier League season.

You do realise Derby knocked us out of the Play-offs?

COYP

Oct 1, 2012

Spot on! For the next few years we want 17th place and 40 points. Eventually hopefully we can improve the squad, unearth a couple of gems, maybe have a couple of kids from the academy come in like Hiram Boateng. Hopefully, we'll still be self sustaining (unlike a Brighton side that lost 14million last year and then whined about everyone else not complying with FFP) side and one that can eventually look up the leagues. But not yet, now we're just looking at 17th place.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
(unlike a Brighton side that lost 14million last year and then whined about everyone else not complying with FFP)

Really!? I'm sure it was more near the 8 million mark which does comply with the FFP. I could be wrong though?

Where did you find this out?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports