Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace 'Holmesdale Fanatics' protest against Sky Sports

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Bless.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Be careful of what you wish for : they are now guaranteed to get less live coverage on Sky Sports lowering TV Income snowballing to include lower shirt sponsor, pitch side & altogether less attractive to all funding sources inc foreign buyer.
Bizarre or cowardly they didn't protest when the very same SkySports were outside the ground reporting live!?
Anyway, this will increase relegation prospects and hopefully repeat itself in the Championship until they level out just below Fleetwood Town in League 1
Clever, if this is what they want (or is it?)

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
They look like they are auditioning for the role of those bad guys in Harry Potter. Impressive stuff I reckon Sky are on the phone to the FA now trying to pull out of the deal.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I agree with the sentiment, however I disagree strenuously with the execution. Forgetting it was the HF/Palace or A Prem team for a second, I read a lot of posts on here that have exactly the same point of view. Sky has ruined football to the extent that its meant the likes of Palace or Brighton will never be able to win the topflight without first getting a multibillionaire foreign owner. Sky has ruined football to the extent that one week of wages from Rooney would be able to wipe out the debts of the vast majority of the sides in the conference put together. Its wrong.

Yes we are taking the Sky money, but what do you expect a club in a competition to do? Refuse to go up?

Now as for the way the protest was handled - it was dead wrong. They deliberately went out to create an intimidatory atmosphere knowing full well that it was likely to terrify young kids/bystanders who were there. They could have made a peaceful protest that would have won far more supporters. However, whilst accepting that what they did tonight was wrong, or at least the way they went about it I can still be proud of the atmosphere they've created at Selhurst.

Agree with every word.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I agree with the sentiment, however I disagree strenuously with the execution. Forgetting it was the HF/Palace or A Prem team for a second, I read a lot of posts on here that have exactly the same point of view. Sky has ruined football to the extent that its meant the likes of Palace or Brighton will never be able to win the topflight without first getting a multibillionaire foreign owner. Sky has ruined football to the extent that one week of wages from Rooney would be able to wipe out the debts of the vast majority of the sides in the conference put together. Its wrong.

Yes we are taking the Sky money, but what do you expect a club in a competition to do? Refuse to go up?

Now as for the way the protest was handled - it was dead wrong. They deliberately went out to create an intimidatory atmosphere knowing full well that it was likely to terrify young kids/bystanders who were there. They could have made a peaceful protest that would have won far more supporters. However, whilst accepting that what they did tonight was wrong, or at least the way they went about it I can still be proud of the atmosphere they've created at Selhurst.

A bit one eyed this; it's beyond doubt that SKY has had a massive impact on football, however i don't think that the state of the game now is just a consequence of SKY alone.

To be fair to SKY they initially took on the risk by investing in the EPL, and this money allowed clubs to develop their clubs and grounds as well as pay more money to players.

These 2 dynamics alone drew in more fans to the game and started the gentrification process that has got us to where we are now........many people would consider this to be a good thing.

The explosion of money however is not just a SKY issue, albeit the money from SKY unwittingly created the environment for clubs to develop themselves commercially, so now Man Utd for example can command 750m from Adidas to use their shirts and even more from Chevrolet to have their logo on it.

Yes, I know they are a special case but then they were always bigger, and therefore it's a relative position, it was always difficult to compete.

The spread of the money by SKY is a lot more egalitarian than say in Spain, where the clubs organise their own broadcasting rights, and consequently all the clubs fall further and further behind the big 2 there pay players.

As for the cost of watching live football, since SKY got involved the EU waded to force them to break up broadcasting rights, so now many people and pubs are only able afford one package..........that's not SKY's fault.

Grassman

Jun 12, 2008
Tun Wells
Jesus, the amount of times I've heard Palace fans 'taunt' us with: "you've never been in the Premier League!'. Comical.

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
I agree with the sentiment - but how we do anything about it when it's the gravy train for so many
is another thing.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I know loads of Palace fans, and very nice they are too. But my heart sinks a bit when they invariably trot out lines like "who cares if we go down, we'll have X million in the bank". It's as if they're more concerned with profitability than points.

Regarding the wider point: the Premier League is rigged against Palace, as it would be against us, or any similar-sized club that happens to get promoted. You might survive for a few seasons before being spat out, with all the financial chaos that entails, but you will never truly compete against the big clubs because their business model is so different.

It's one of the reasons I genuinely don't mind if we stay in the Championship for years. Give me competitive football any day of the week rather than the bloated, overpriced nonsense that is the Premier League.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Seems a strange protest in all honesty. I mean who protests in the dark in a residential area in a manor which will cause people concern. Most normal protests are done to Maximum exposure at a relevant location.
Seems to me school is back next week and some kids wanted to make the most of the last week before there mothers tuck them into bed at 9pm.

Intimidating? :lolol: They marched around letting off a few flares, I bet the young kids loved it

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I agree, I fing hate Sky Sports too. Soon there will be no football left on TV. Sky has every supporter and every club by the balls. I have always said this can't last forever, but it seems to be actually getting bigger. Can football have a recession? I remember when Italian football held all the power, all the money, all the best players and then the focus started shifting to Spain and then the UK. Paul Barber said the money clubs like Fulham get in Parachute Payments is more than the whole of Brighton makes through the 1901, or something like that. Just shows how silly it has got. If we are finding it difficult, how are clubs smaller than us coping.

Not just the 1901, one parachute payment equals ALL of our income from 1901, season tickets, sponsorship, catering etc

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The problem isn't so much Sky, but what the clubs CHOOSE to do with the money that the broadcasters give them. Basically the tv billions are wasted on overpaid players. If anyone needs protesting against it is the boards who would rather fleece fans than stand up to player wages demands, which are now out of control. We are at the the stage where players who are on £10-£20,000 a week in the premier are considered POORLY paid!.

My main gripe with Sky is not the money they have pumped into football but the constant screwing around with the fixtures which have rendered saturday afternoon kick offs a novelty.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
A bit one eyed this; it's beyond doubt that SKY has had a massive impact on football, however i don't think that the state of the game now is just a consequence of SKY alone.

To be fair to SKY they initially took on the risk by investing in the EPL, and this money allowed clubs to develop their clubs and grounds as well as pay more money to players.

These 2 dynamics alone drew in more fans to the game and started the gentrification process that has got us to where we are now........many people would consider this to be a good thing.

The explosion of money however is not just a SKY issue, albeit the money from SKY unwittingly created the environment for clubs to develop themselves commercially, so now Man Utd for example can command 750m from Adidas to use their shirts and even more from Chevrolet to have their logo on it.

Yes, I know they are a special case but then they were always bigger, and therefore it's a relative position, it was always difficult to compete.

The spread of the money by SKY is a lot more egalitarian than say in Spain, where the clubs organise their own broadcasting rights, and consequently all the clubs fall further and further behind the big 2 there pay players.

As for the cost of watching live football, since SKY got involved the EU waded to force them to break up broadcasting rights, so now many people and pubs are only able afford one package..........that's not SKY's fault.

... none of which would have been possible but for Sky's involvement. However, the FA must take its fair share of blame in dropping its trousers so willingly for them.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I know loads of Palace fans, and very nice they are too. But my heart sinks a bit when they invariably trot out lines like "who cares if we go down, we'll have X million in the bank". It's as if they're more concerned with profitability than points.

Regarding the wider point: the Premier League is rigged against Palace, as it would be against us, or any similar-sized club that happens to get promoted. You might survive for a few seasons before being spat out, with all the financial chaos that entails, but you will never truly compete against the big clubs because their business model is so different.

It's one of the reasons I genuinely don't mind if we stay in the Championship for years. Give me competitive football any day of the week rather than the bloated, overpriced nonsense that is the Premier League.

I know a few palace fans too, and again they're decent enough people. All but one of them rarely go though; its a common defining feature of Palace fans, they declare allegiance when things are on the up, only go to play-off finals/to see their first team and they stay very very quiet when they are doing badly.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The problem isn't so much Sky, but what the clubs CHOOSE to do with the money that the broadcasters give them. Basically the tv billions are wasted on overpaid players. If anyone needs protesting against it is the boards who would rather fleece fans than stand up to player wages demands, which are now out of control. We are at the the stage where players who are on £10-£20,000 a week in the premier are considered POORLY paid!.

My main gripe with Sky is not the money they have pumped into football but the constant screwing around with the fixtures which have rendered saturday afternoon kick offs a novelty.

For a start, it wouldn't hurt - seeing as they are having a second season in the top flight - for Palace to re-build their deathtrap of a ground. I've nothing against any ground's design which pays lip servive to tradition and history, but let's have it done safely.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Any protest against the ridiculous financial state football has got itself into is ok by me.

Falcao on £350K for week - when many young people are barely on a living wage is obscene. And that is only the top of a very large ice-berg.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here