Palace have over achieved and Brighton have disappointed why?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
TBF having a sugar daddy pumping upwards of £120 million in intrest free loans into a club helps a bit as well!!

As has been mentioned before this is simple karma payback.

One chairman sold pretty much everything the club had.

This is then balanced by a later chairman who has given us much of what we now have.

chamakh_attack

Feb 14, 2014
Its not bitter or bollocks. Its not about the palace's, Wigan's or Wimbledon's of this world. All of those clubs can be rightly proud of how they have punched above their weight. Its about Brighton and how we can be rightly annoyed at how we never fulfil our potential, never mind punching above our weight. The only bit that is directed at you lt is your one eyed view of your support when forgetting you had to beg people to watch with 2 for 1 deals in the championship and well, drums are poxy and unlike clackers, you take them yourselves.

At what point does Palace's success mean that they are not punching above their weight but moreover they are where they should be. And indeed how long does a club under achieve or not realise it's potential before the potential and level become where you actually are not where you think you should be?

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
TBF having a sugar daddy pumping upwards of £120 million in intrest free loans into a club helps a bit as well!!
I not disputing what TB has done for the Albion, I'm just saying that the new board at The Palace bought the business with a clean slate and not inherit any debt which I'm sure TB did.

I still take my hat off to The Palace for staying up, Tony Pullis should be manager of the season.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I not disputing what TB has done for the Albion, I'm just saying that the new board at The Palace bought the business with a clean slate and not inherit any debt which I'm sure TB did.

I still take my hat off to The Palace for staying up, Tony Pullis should be manager of the season.

And I dont mind that a Brighton (or whoever) fan that has loads of money, then pumps it into a club they love...bloody good luck to them I say!!

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
Pulis, pure and simple. Knows the division back to front, knows how to win games, got the fans on his side straight away.

Nailed it. Palace looked down and out before he took over now look like comfortably avoiding relegation. Credit to Steve Parish, he has an eye for the right manager at the right time.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I'm not saying this because it's Palace, but if you watched the likes of Sunderland and West Ham (and indeed Cardiff on Saturday), every time a player tries something creative and it doesn't come off, the fans are up and booing and making gestures at the players and the manager.

At Palace, players like Zaha (and to an extent, Bolasie) got support from the fans for trying something different. Bolasie can go 6-7 games where nothing comes off, and then do something incredible, like tearing Ivanovic apart. Puncheon put a penalty into the atmosphere, but his name was cheered the very next game and he went on to score the winner. There aren't many mercenary players in the squad either, and they have to earn their names being used in a chant. It's why Holloway never had one, and why only the last few games has "Tony Pulis's Red and Blue Army" been sung.

Players appreciate support, and a noisy, boisterous stadium where the team get support makes some sort of difference.

Weren't your fans making 'slit-throat' gestures at Holloway a few weeks before you won promotion?

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
Brighton has got a bigger and better fan base than Palarse.
Zaha was the difference between the two sides in the playoff game last season, they scored and we didn't.
OG has got to be given time in to fine tuning Brighton in the way of scoring goals especially from the strikers.
Obviously the FFP will take effect, and OG will be given funds to improve the team.

Believe :albion2:

At present yes Brighton get more fans, Well done on that. But history tells us that Palace have had better support over the years.

Since 1921-
Seasons Brighton have had bigger average attendances than Palace - 19
Seasons Palace have had bigger average attendances than Brighton - 67

Brighton have never had support inside the top 10 average, Palace have.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
At present yes Brighton get more fans, Well done on that. But history tells us that Palace have had better support over the years.

Since 1921-

Not that it matters, but you may as well add another 15 to our total because you won't be catching us any time soon. And also, you've spent more time in higher divisions - gates are nearly always higher in division 2 than they are in division 3 (assuming you're not running away with the division 3 title)

Attendance chatter is a bit pointless - both clubs have had periods of excellent support, and periods of feeble support. If BHA and CPFC didn't have broadly similar support historically, we probably wouldn't be rivals would we?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Why all this back slapping ? The season is isn't over yet :angry:

Feb 14, 2010

Since 1921-

No it doesn't and you know it. It shows palace have been more successful since that date. Can you name a season when palace have averaged more than Brighton despite being in a division below? Never, and is because palace have for the size of its support done well compared to Brighton who have under achieved, and continue to do so. don't forget last season you struggled to get half our crowds when in the same division. You had to hv two for one deals. You should be very happy that with 13000 paying punters you found the cash to mount a promotion push and the likes of Brighton, Forest, Derby and Leeds will be less so.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
Attendance chatter is a bit pointless - both clubs have had periods of excellent support, and periods of feeble support. If BHA and CPFC didn't have broadly similar support historically, we probably wouldn't be rivals would we?

Agree :salute:

pauldcpfc

Banned
Feb 16, 2010
Surrey
Weren't your fans making 'slit-throat' gestures at Holloway a few weeks before you won promotion?

No. It was the day before he left/got canned.

It wasn't three young idiots though was it, I saw the video..

My point is quite obvious. The post I quoted was talking about how you never get on the backs of your players etc.
It was a few idiots. I wanted him out, nothing to do with the players, they got 90 minutes of support.

I never liked him from the moment he said the Brighton game meant the same as any other. Which was then followed by an 8 game winless run, so the useless bumpkin was right.

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
Can you name a season when palace have averaged more than Brighton despite being in a division below? Never, and is because palace have for the size of its support done well compared to Brighton who have under achieved,

Not many seasons to choose from... but yes...1961 and 1962.

Dec 3, 2012

Since 1921-

If these stats are true (and tbh I can't be bothered to check them) then WCP will have to find something else to post about because it's game over.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Not that it matters, but you may as well add another 15 to our total because you won't be catching us any time soon. And also, you've spent more time in higher divisions - gates are nearly always higher in division 2 than they are in division 3 (assuming you're not running away with the division 3 title)

Pretty much agree with all of that simster , now are you gonna tell him or shall I ?

Syph

Banned
Feb 20, 2013
No it doesn't and you know it. It shows palace have been more successful since that date. Can you name a season when palace have averaged more than Brighton despite being in a division below? Never, and is because palace have for the size of its support done well compared to Brighton who have under achieved, and continue to do so. don't forget last season you struggled to get half our crowds when in the same division. You had to hv two for one deals. You should be very happy that with 13000 paying punters you found the cash to mount a promotion push and the likes of Brighton, Forest, Derby and Leeds will be less so.

It's not the bums on seats that win matches, it's the players. You have quite an average side and to that extent you are overachieving.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports