Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace game v Arsenal free on the tellybox Saturday lunchtime

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think once the decision is given that Arteta has impeded Chamakh, the thing the referee has to consider is whether the Arsenal centre back who was parallel to the incident would be able to get to Chamakh in time to stop him having a shot at goal. The defender is a long way from the ball and I think the defender was Per Mertesacker who is not blessed with tremendous pace and so I think the chances are Chamakh would have had a strike, although the fact that it was Chamakh who would have been shooting means it's unlikely to have been much of a goalscoring opportunity. Joking aside, I can see why Foy sent Arteta off because there was no obvious covering defender.

The laws of the game say:

Referees should consider the following circumstances when deciding whether
to send off a player for denying a goal or an obvious goalscoring opportunity:
[1]• the distance between the offence and the goal
[2]• the likelihood of keeping or gaining control of the ball
[3]• the direction of the play
[4]• the location and number of defenders
[5]• the offence which denies an opponent an obvious goalscoring opportunity
may be an offence that incurs a direct free kick or an indirect free kick​

IMO

1 - It was a long way out
2 - Chamakh didn't have control of the ball, he would have had to have got the ball first
3 - The ball was heading down the channel, Chamakh would have had to have gone wide to collect the ball.
4 - A defender in the middle was in line, given how Chamakh would have needed to have gone wide to collect and control the ball before heading goalward, I would argue more players would have had time to get back as well
5 - A tangling of legs should be no more than an indirect free kick (I think often they shouldn't even be free kicks).

Never a red, even after the ref has given the freekick.

Last edited:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I thought Palace played well today. If either of those second half chances had gone in they'd have gotten the point.
Palace undoubtedly played well today. Very much in-keeping with an FA Cup tie where plucky minnow hosts put up a good showing before slipping to defeat against far superior opposition.

Palace are so bad that a 2-0 home defeat against 10 men is considered something of a triumph.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
plucky but outclassed.....heheh.....more of this please.....them and sunderland to go down would be great :)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Palace undoubtedly played well today. Very much in-keeping with an FA Cup tie where plucky minnow hosts put up a good showing before slipping to defeat against far superior opposition.

You mean like those minnows who were drawing 2-2 last January before losing to a 3rd Arsenal goal by an England player in the last 5 minutes?

I have just got back from a family occasion, an 80th for my Wifes Mother who is a London girl (evacuated), many of our London family it seems are CPFC fans.

Proper fans they are, season ticket holders for years and they only missed the game because of this, thoroughly enjoyed sitting in a pub with them taking the piss out of plastic Arsenal fans in leafy Sussex.

Strange feeling.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
You mean like those minnows who were drawing 2-2 last January before losing to a 3rd Arsenal goal by an England player in the last 5 minutes?
Exactly like that. A Championship standard team doing their best but nowhere near good enough to compete in the Premier League without spending big on some significantly better players...

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton

2 things to consider:

a) The Brighton team that lost narrowly to Arsenal in January is better than this Crystal Palace team, and
b) This Arsenal team now is better than the Arsenal team that was playing in January.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Something else to consider: the rather woeful Derby side that had the record lowest points in 07/08 had, by this point in the season managed to amass 6 (six) points. Palace only have half that.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Something else to consider: the rather woeful Derby side that had the record lowest points in 07/08 had, by this point in the season managed to amass 6 (six) points. Palace only have half that.

Been saying for weeks that this is the season that Derby's low points record gets broken. The only question is whether it is Palace who break it, or Sunderland, or maybe even both.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Palace will probably defy form and get more than Derby though :(

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The ref tried to give Palace a chance but giving the Gunners a handicap but it failed. I think it doesn't matter who takes over at Palace, by the time they can even think about strengthening their squad in January they will be too far gone. You can see by their fans reaction they are satisfied with an entertaining match resulting in defeat to 10 men, its a one season wonder for them who can blame them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here