Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Olise and Mateta not picked for the provisional French Euros squad.

And there was me thinking they were the best 2 players in the Premier League.
The French are seemingly calling him up for the Olympics squad instead - so he still doesn't get the summer off - he'll just be getting tired and risking injury immediately before the start of the new PL season.

(As almost certainly will Barco, Buonanotte and Enciso! :eek: )

Japan need to be told in no uncertain terms that we will refuse any approach to take Mitoma as one of their three over-age players.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
The French are seemingly calling him up for the Olympics squad instead - so he still doesn't get the summer off - he'll just be getting tired and risking injury immediately before the start of the new PL season.

Japan need to be told in no uncertain terms that we will refuse any approach to take Mitoma as one of their three over-age players.
The point about Barco, Buonanotte and Enciso is that they haven’t played that many games this season.
In fact it’s a way of getting Enciso game time to sharpen him up for next season.
Olise playing in the olympics is irrelevant as he will be transferred this summer.
Man United, Newcastle United, PSG all in for him. He’s going.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The point about Barco, Buonanotte and Enciso is that they haven’t played that many games this season.
In fact it’s a way of getting Enciso game time to sharpen him up for next season.
Olise playing in the olympics is irrelevant as he will be transferred this summer.
And Villa

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
With a full squad available to both sides, IF, we and they retain the key players both teams should finish in the Top 6 or 7, Brighton 6th and Palace 7th …. From bottom.

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
Buonanotte? If anything he's played too much out of necessity. 30-odd games in all comps isn't it? No one at the start of the season would have thought that the likes of him and Adingra would be regular starters. Hope he can have a decent break.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
There's about as much chance of Olise staying this summer as there was of MacAllister staying with us last summer. In fact there's probably less as we'd just qualified for the Europa League and were in the process of accumulating a 100m profit for the season, even before Mac was sold.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Could certainly. I'm going to be hiding behind the sofa during 4 and 6 Sunday. My philosophy is if you do, you do, but I will still be hiding behind the sofa anyway.

Yes, it could. Wouldn't be a disaster, after all we've played more games than them due to cup runs and European games, it'd be disappointing but that's all. In the context of that and injuries I'd say it was always possible.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Will they be going to the Olympics or Copa America though?

We refused Buonanottes call up for the Olympic qualifiers in January. And we can refuse any call up to the Olympics themselves. However we have to release players for the Copa America.

The good thing is the Copa America finishes in time for the players to be back before the season starts although they’ll miss a chunk of pre season.

The Oympics doesn’t finish until the 10th August so anyone going to that and going deep in the tournament will have no club pre season, no friendlies and will have a week between the Olympic final and the first game of the season.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
It would certainly be a bit of a fall off if they do just overtake us this season, but it's a bit like when they finished below us, but won the bigger prize of promotion through the play offs. We've already had the bigger prize of the European adventure and if they do end up above us by a point or on goal difference, it'll be a nice little reward to them for their very good finish to the season. However, though they'll pretend to enjoy the open top bus celebration around Surrey, deep down they'll know that they managed to scrape past a team that absolutely hammered them in Febraury only because they got a new manager bounce against a few teams on the beach, whilst our reserves ran out of puff after we lost to Roma.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Will they be going to the Olympics or Copa America though?

We refused Buonanottes call up for the Olympic qualifiers in January. And we can refuse any call up to the Olympics themselves. However we have to release players for the Copa America.

The good thing is the Copa America finishes in time for the players to be back before the season starts although they’ll miss a chunk of pre season.

The Oympics doesn’t finish until the 10th August so anyone going to that and going deep in the tournament will have no club pre season, no friendlies and will have a week between the Olympic final and the first game of the season.
Barco and Buonanotte are more likely to be in the Olympic squad you'd think. They are both comfortably young enough, and miles off being NEEDED in their Copa squad.

Enciso is a bit more of a worry, given that he is one of Paraguay's few real stars, so will definitely be in their Copa squad. Presumably if they were stupid enough to try to include him in BOTH squads, we would refuse the Olympic call up.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Barco and Buonanotte are more likely to be in the Olympic squad you'd think. They are both comfortably young enough, and miles off being NEEDED in their Copa squad.

Enciso is a bit more of a worry, given that he is one of Paraguay's few real stars, so will definitely be in their Copa squad. Presumably if they were stupid enough to try to include him in BOTH squads, we would refuse the Olympic call up.

Totally agree that is the likely squad involvement for all 3 players.

Barco potentially missing most of pre season and friendlies would be the biggest draw back for me. Given how well he’s already settled in the squad a good pre season would see him develop and understand our patterns of play even more. There again Argentina were shit at the last Olympics so he could be back with over 2 weeks until the first PL game of they go out in the group the again.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
If they do come above us, they still have never got to 50 points in the PL, and have only ever had one other top 10 finish. And that was 10th.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
If they do come above us, they still have never got to 50 points in the PL, and have only ever had one other top 10 finish. And that was 10th.
That's the levels of the clubs these days, isn't it? We finish on 48-51 points and we're all a bit dissapointed that our challenge for 2 consectutive European qualifications has tailed off. They finish on 49 points and it's their best ever PL season.

eaglesdan

Sep 28, 2011
Whatever happens on Sunday, we have had an average season. We never dropped into the relegation places, despite a lot of bed wetters saying we wouldnt get another point after we lost at Bournemouth. Since winning at Liverpool, we have had a good run, with some good football, against some top half teams, but with not a lot to play for. You had a great start, took 4 points off us, had a European adventure, but have definitely gone off the boil since the Roma game, so I would see that as a good season. We will go again in August, hopefully both with fully fit squads, and no unwanted departures

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Whatever happens on Sunday, we have had an average season. We never dropped into the relegation places, despite a lot of bed wetters saying we wouldnt get another point after we lost at Bournemouth. Since winning at Liverpool, we have had a good run, with some good football, against some top half teams, but with not a lot to play for. You had a great start, took 4 points off us, had a European adventure, but have definitely gone off the boil since the Roma game, so I would see that as a good season. We will go again in August, hopefully both with fully fit squads, and no unwanted departures

Can't disagree with your summary, although I'm more confident of us keeping key players this window than I'd be if I were a Palace fan, do you agree?

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
The Palace fan I work with is very much concerned that they will lose players this summer. Palace've been unfortunately good the last few months (should have got rid of Roy earlier); if they can keep the squad and strengthen a bit then they're going to do well next year.

This is the first summer for ages I've not been worried about selling players. Hopefully I won't be proved wrong about that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here