Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

5Ways Gull

È quello che è
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
Bottom line is the we have the much bigger catchment area. My dad always used to tell me how he went to a boxing day match v Fulham when Johnny Haynes was playing for them and there were 38000 in the Goldstone. I was at the Rochdale promotion game in 72 when there was such a big crowd that someone who was with us went to the loo at half time and couldn't get back into the crowd. We have always had a bigger fan base. Unfortunately for them they constantly have the distraction of bigger clubs like Millwall, Charlton and AFC Wimbledon in close proximity.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
So, I think there’s enough posts with evidence now to prove once and for all on attendances that the majority of BHA aren’t ‘plastics’ yet given the sharp rise in attendances at the 2010 version of Selhurst Park, they have a lot more ‘plastics’. We’ve also debunked the ‘sugar daddy’ debt rubbish comments, again with facts. Anything more to be proven wrong they come out with or are we just going to agree they beat us on.. well… nothing 👏
Sheebo you’re being really unfair to that poor Palace fan; they easily beat us on megaphone usage and flag waving. We’re totally outclassed by them in those areas.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Sheebo you’re being really unfair to that poor Palace fan; they easily beat us on megaphone usage and flag waving. We’re totally outclassed by them in those areas.
Shot hadn’t thought of that - better goal music and scorers name shouted back by the crowd too. That’s 4 things. Think I underestimated the 2010 version of this franchise fc…

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Have you all upset Dan with silly facts debunking his plastics theory and pointing out their terrible attendances when they were not in the PL? Shame on you all.
And whoever posted that video showing the megaphone boy leading the children in a sing song, hang your head in shame.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Ah the old Withdean attendances v Amex plastics argument, I do love this one. In 2012 when we moved to the Amex our average attendances jumped by around 13000, this was our first season in the Championship having just won the L1 title. Palace averaged a paltry 15000 that same season in the Championship and they hated it that we were filling our stadium, absolutely hated it. Plastic fans are generally accepted in football as those that start coming when your team enters the Premier League, I can't say I've heard any other club being accused of gaining plastics when they moved from L1 to the Championship because its really not a 'thing'. Clubs always gain extra bums on seats on getting promoted same as they lose them when they get relegated, Palace are no different - they gained an extra 7000 on average in 2014, their first season back in the PL. I recall many Palace fans coming on NSC at the time and bleating about 2nd season syndrome and that attendances would fall,
Ah yes, I remember that. 'It's only because you've got a new stadium, they'll fall', followed by more BS each season following that.

they didn't and neither did 3rd, 4th or 5th season syndrome because our attendances kept rising
Just to be clear, our attendances only rose because our capacity increased.

None of this matters to Palace fans though, they keep spouting the same falsehoods and myths because it hurts them so much that we have overtaken them in every single department and metric possible, its complete and the only opportunities they now have are to try and beat us twice a season for bragging rights because everything about that shitty pus weeping little club is inferior to ours. So the Withdean attendance argument is proven to be a crock of shit, I mean if Palace fans really believe it then lets go back to the mid 1980s when they too were averaging around 6-7000 and that dump they call a stadium, by their own argument we have to surmise that all the extra fans they have gained since are plastics?
Indeed.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not many Palace fans I have spoken to are willing to pay to watch a team this year who they believe won’t be competing for much, regardless of whether they are playing attractive and exciting football or not.

Blimey: Under 10,000 in the Championship, and they call us plastic (what was our lowest home attendance at the Amex in the Championship - probably double theirs?)

"Palace’s last two home games disappointingly drew crowds of around 13,000 and that was against two big Championship clubs in Nottingham Forest and Cardiff City.

It is not just at Selhurst, though, Millwall and Charlton are also struggling for numbers.

Under 10,000 fans turned up for the Lions’ game with Cardiff last Tuesday and even the recent derby against Charlton at The Valley wasn’t sold out, mainly because of the empty seats in the home ends."

medwayseagull reborn

Oct 12, 2022
Shot hadn’t thought of that - better goal music and scorers name shouted back by the crowd too. That’s 4 things. Think I underestimated the 2010 version of this franchise fc…
You can understand them shouting the scorers name as it is such an infrequent occurrence.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Blimey: Under 10,000 in the Championship, and they call us plastic (what was our lowest home attendance at the Amex in the Championship - probably double theirs?)

"Palace’s last two home games disappointingly drew crowds of around 13,000 and that was against two big Championship clubs in Nottingham Forest and Cardiff City.

It is not just at Selhurst, though, Millwall and Charlton are also struggling for numbers.

Under 10,000 fans turned up for the Lions’ game with Cardiff last Tuesday and even the recent derby against Charlton at The Valley wasn’t sold out, mainly because of the empty seats in the home ends."
Lowest Amex era league attendance has been 18,412 for the Championship game against Derby on Tuesday March 20th 2012. I think that was the game where Vincente ran half the pitch and smashed one against the bar.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Lowest Amex era league attendance has been 18,412 for the Championship game against Derby on Tuesday March 20th 2012. I think that was the game where Vincente ran half the pitch and smashed one against the bar.
Right, so twice as many as Palace had in the same time-frame and same league. Plastic Palace.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I think you're all forgetting that massive new stand they've got now, that must have pushed up the amount of seats not sold each game?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Well they might be quiet now, just wait until they (inevitably shitehouse) a win against us next month, then they will all be on here giving it the large'un
That'll be us, beat Liverpool in the Cup, and then lose, of course, to B'Muff and Pilarse!

eaglesdan

Sep 28, 2011
Thanks guys for the concern, I've been ill, and dont want to seem obsessed with a rivals message board. Thanks also for the insights into attendances. There is definitely a wider catchment area for you guys, as there's no other Prem/Champ club for many miles, while we do have a few other clubs in close proximity, who may prove slightly more attractive. I think all clubs are guilty now of reporting attendances as tickets sold rather than fans through the turnstiles, but in general we dont tend to have many seats left on sale for most home matches, and tend to sell our allocation for away games, even Newcastle away in the League Cup in November midweek, alrthough we may only have sold one block of about 300 tickets...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Thanks guys for the concern, I've been ill, and dont want to seem obsessed with a rivals message board. Thanks also for the insights into attendances. There is definitely a wider catchment area for you guys, as there's no other Prem/Champ club for many miles, while we do have a few other clubs in close proximity, who may prove slightly more attractive. I think all clubs are guilty now of reporting attendances as tickets sold rather than fans through the turnstiles, but in general we dont tend to have many seats left on sale for most home matches, and tend to sell our allocation for away games, even Newcastle away in the League Cup in November midweek, alrthough we may only have sold one block of about 300 tickets...
Yeah we started reporting tickets sold instead of attendances a while back - it seemed silly to report actual attendance figures when so few other clubs did likewise.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
What's your take, @eaglesdan on the fixture that the media seem to get obsessed with The A23 Derby!! I've a feeling we've been playing some lovely football but this game throws the form book out of the window. Not having Wilf helps us a little or you may feel now? 0-0 draw!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Three decades on from Palace being ‘the team of the 90s,’ can we finally hope/dare to dream of enjoying even a modicum of their success from back then as ‘the team of the 20s’ (and basking in the glory of being everyone’s second team)?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here