Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Pakistan-England Test Series

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Was I the only one who, at the time, thought Stokes was the wrong choice.

I wanted him to concentrate on his batting/bowling.

How wrong was I!
Nope, I thought the same. Thought McCullum was a great choice as coach, not least because he couldn't make us any worse, but make the superstar all-rounder captain when he needs to concentrate on his batting/bowling/fielding? Madness. A bridge too far. Didn't work with Botham, didn't work with Flintoff, won't work with Stokes. Err .... wrong.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Nope, I thought the same. Thought McCullum was a great choice as coach, not least because he couldn't make us any worse, but make the superstar all-rounder captain when he needs to concentrate on his batting/bowling/fielding? Madness. A bridge too far. Didn't work with Botham, didn't work with Flintoff, won't work with Stokes. Err .... wrong.
First of all, congratulations to the whole team players and coaches etc for a great series and some wonderful performances.

But let's not get carried away please.
Pakistan had some players out injured and it would be better to be so euphoric after we have won the Ashes.!

But this is England don't forget.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
First of all, congratulations to the whole team players and coaches etc for a great series and some wonderful performances.

Pakistan had some players out injured and it would be better to be so euphoric after we have won the Ashes.!

I was more commentating on the success of Stokes as captain. I think it's now nine wins in his first ten tests (could be 8, can't be arsed to look it up). I was not expecting that regardless of the opposition.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Whoever was wearing the whites, England just don’t do sub continent whitewashes - no one does. And they shouldn’t have on those pitches. The first test grinds to a bore draw on that pitch nine times out of ten, with the away team being grateful of a result. The England of the past also get spun out cheaply in Karachi.

This is a remarkable result. Can’t wait for The Ashes now and the way we play will all but guarantee people prefer that series to the wham, bam, thank you maam of The Hundred. Bazball has made Test cricket exciting again. That’s brilliant, whoever’s playing.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Take each series as it comes. Taking 60 wickets in a subcontinent series whitewash including a pitch rated so bad it needed a fine, starting the series with a serious bug going through the group, Bairstow and Broad out, Foakes to ill to even play the first test, trying out an untested 19 year old who gets a 5 for on debut - sorry, but I’m getting carried away!!!

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I was more commentating on the success of Stokes as captain. I think it's now nine wins in his first ten tests (could be 8, can't be arsed to look it up). I was not expecting that regardless of the opposition.
When you think we lost the series to the West Indies at the end of March, then go on to white wash an excellent Kiwi team, beat the South Africans, then white wash Pakistan - playing some of the most excillerating test cricket anyone has ever.

I’m not getting carried away that we’re unbeatable or we’re going to go on and win this, win the Ashes, but I am carried away that we have potentially the most exciting England test side since Vaughan’s team 2004-2006.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
When you think we lost the series to the West Indies at the end of March, then go on to white wash an excellent Kiwi team, beat the South Africans, then white wash Pakistan - playing some of the most excillerating test cricket anyone has ever.

I’m not getting carried away that we’re unbeatable or we’re going to go on and win this, win the Ashes, but I am carried away that we have potentially the most exciting England test side since Vaughan’s team 2004-2006.
Chased 378 against India in the middle of all that too

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Whoever was wearing the whites, England just don’t do sub continent whitewashes - no one does. And they shouldn’t have on those pitches. The first test grinds to a bore draw on that pitch nine times out of ten, with the away team being grateful of a result. The England of the past also get spun out cheaply in Karachi.

This is a remarkable result. Can’t wait for The Ashes now and the way we play will all but guarantee people prefer that series to the wham, bam, thank you maam of The Hundred. Bazball has made Test cricket exciting again. That’s brilliant, whoever’s playing.
Completely agree. What England have done is unprecedented - so many statistical records broken. Pakistan simply don’t lose 3-0 at home - they never have - for example they have lost 3 times in Karachi since 1955. Taking 60 wickets in 3 tests is astonishing, particularly when the seam bowler’s contribution is taken into account.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
If you cannot get 'carried away' by a 3 nil whitewashing of Pakistan away then what exactly will it take?

Oh and BBC SPOTY is tomorrow, if Ben Stokes doesn't get it then there will have been some serious vote rigging... :lolol:

what exactly will it take? A 5-0 whitwash in the Ashes would do it for me! :)

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
what exactly will it take? A 5-0 whitwash in the Ashes would do it for me! :)
I am so fed up with people putting the Ashes above all else.
Australia haven't won an Ashes series in England since 2001.
Prior to this series, England had won two matches in Pakistan, ever.
Rolling over the Australian batting in England (in English conditions basically Steve Smith and some other guys who happen to be around with their own bats) wouldn't be anywhere near the achievement of winning this series, or drawing the series with India last year for that matter.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Rolling over the Australian batting in England (in English conditions basically Steve Smith and some other guys who happen to be around with their own bats) wouldn't be anywhere near the achievement of winning this series, or drawing the series with India last year for that matter.
Agree, and they're playing test cricket that is making every game interesting, exciting and worth tuning into. It's not even the winning that is the thing to get carried away with, it's the manner of the approach, the spirit in the side, the players responding to the environment they are in.

2 big test matches coming up in New Zealand that again should be treated with the respect and reverence that a series against the Kiwis deserves, regardless of what goes on in the summer.

We can start worrying about the Aussies in June.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Makes you wonder if the ECB review and proposed changes are necessary

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I get it, because to some people it's the equivalent of beating Palace or getting a win over Scotland in... anything.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I get that, but the way some people seem to approach cricket is the equivalent of disregarding hammering Man City 0-3 just because it wasn't against Palace.
I think I have got your point now.
Your analogy is a bit weird though.

Best wishes from some people :)

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Was I the only one who, at the time, thought Stokes was the wrong choice.

I wanted him to concentrate on his batting/bowling.

How wrong was I!
You weren't the only one. I was concerned and thought it was a unfair on him,because 9 months earlier he'd taken an "indefinite" break from cricket to prioritise his mental health. I did wonder if being made captain had come too soon after the break. But he seems to not only have found a good place mentally, but is doing a fantastic job.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I think I have got your point now.
Your analogy is a bit weird though.

Best wishes from some people :)
It was a general point about how some people only ever seem to consider Australia as a significant test, not a direct comparison between Man City and Pakistan (although I think I'm right in saying our away record against Pakistan before this series was worse than our away record against any other country, so it wouldn't be so ridiculous a comparison).
Edit: I was right in saying that:
Also worth remembering how crap we always are in the West Indies next time we go over there and everybody expects us to win comfortably.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here