Painter gone to Bournemouth on loan

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Good luck to Marcos, a good solid club man.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Perhaps Gus is looking to play back 3 of Upson El Abd and Greer when all are fit and use 2 wing backs.

How do you work that out from Painter going out on loan? He's seemingly 5th choice for a full back roll with Bruno, Bridge, Calderon and Lopez all infront of him. Calderon can play left back in an emergancy and I think we can also add Maksimenko to the list now as lb cover if needed.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
He's in good company there, quite sad to see him go. Bournmouth will win L1.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Lets face it he is shit at this level, is it really that sad that hes gone when we have better cover in that area?

Better cover? I would prefer Painter at left back to Calderon, natural balance and atleast as good defensively.

If Painter had pace, he'd be a midtable Champ player. He doesn't, bit his intelligence strengthens his game.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
I would prefer Painter at fullback than Bruno at the moment - based on the last three home games I've seen. Bruno has been very wasteful with possession and seems to be getting caught out of position regularly.

- - - Updated - - -

I would prefer Painter at fullback than Bruno at the moment - based on the last three home games I've seen. Bruno has been very wasteful with possession and seems to be getting caught out of position regularly.

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom
Better cover? I would prefer Painter at left back to Calderon, natural balance and atleast as good defensively.

If Painter had pace, he'd be a midtable Champ player. He doesn't, bit his intelligence strengthens his game.

I do agree with you, if he had pace he would be good for back up but he lacks it big time, I'd choose Calde over Painter any time as left back but TBH I'd of rather had Vincelot as left back cover.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Marcos has already said he wouldnt earn a new deal with us based on appearances so just as Upson is here to earn himself a deal (Tony Pulis) Paints can now earn himself a deal at Bournemouth

Good player at League 1 level and perfectly competent in the Championship if you have sufficient pace elsewhere in your back 4 to cover - with GG and Adam we didnt have that pace!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
How do you work that out from Painter going out on loan? He's seemingly 5th choice for a full back roll with Bruno, Bridge, Calderon and Lopez all infront of him. Calderon can play left back in an emergancy and I think we can also add Maksimenko to the list now as lb cover if needed.

I don't know why BG thinks that, but left and right back are different roles. The last time Bridge was injured, Painter took his place, he was the second choice left back. He was preferred in that role to right back calderon, and right midfielder lopez.

In the 245mins he has played for us this season we have conceded 0 goals. :thumbsup:
Of the 8 games he's been an unused subs in the last two seasons, we have won 0 games. :(

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I like Painter. Not his fault he isnt that quick. He will do well for them if they do go up as they wont be in the same position as us and pushing for the play-offs from the first game.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I do agree with you, if he had pace he would be good for back up but he lacks it big time, I'd choose Calde over Painter any time as left back but TBH I'd of rather had Vincelot as left back cover.

Vincelot is a massive shout, I thought he looked classy at left back. His goal against Coventry with the header was sublime.

I like Painter. Not his fault he isnt that quick. He will do well for them if they do go up as they wont be in the same position as us and pushing for the play-offs from the first game.

I like him too, but his lack of pace is why Swansea and now Brighton are moving him back down to league 1. What a nice change for players to leave having done well, as opposed to a Holroyd level of flop.

I don't know why BG thinks that, but left and right back are different roles. The last time Bridge was injured, Painter took his place, he was the second choice left back. He was preferred in that role to right back calderon, and right midfielder lopez.

In the 245mins he has played for us this season we have conceded 0 goals. :thumbsup:
Of the 8 games he's been an unused subs in the last two seasons, we have won 0 games. :(

Am I right in saying that we almost always conceded after he had gone off? Huddersfield and Bolton certainly.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
Lack of pace, which became apparent at the very end of the title season when up against good widemen, was his only but fatal failing for a Championship team.

Same with Calderon, but he can be class creatively and going forward.

Glad most on here now agree. Last season, anyone commenting about the lack of pace in defence problem with Painter or Calderon was considered an anti Albion traitor.

Good luck to Painter. I hope he will always have fond memories of his time at the Albion, especially being an integral part of the brilliant title winners.

Jimmy Grimble

Lets face it he is shit at this level, is it really that sad that hes gone when we have better cover in that area?

Pulled you up and proved you wrong on this before. He's not 'shit' at this level. He's more than adequate in a mid table side.

Fantastic professional and a really intelligent footballer. Will always be very grateful for his performances in the 10/11 Champions season. He was our most consistent defender that year.

Wish him all the best at Bournemouth.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports