Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paddy won us a point.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
So he didn't really beat the defender? He got his body inbetween and marshalled it to safety. Paddy shouldn't have been so clever , there were players queuing up in the box for a delivery

It's a bit much to expect an attacker to fully get past a defender every time. He took a chance and it didn't come off. It happens.

Buckeejit

Sep 21, 2014
The pro and anti-Paddy camps seem firmly entrenched in their opinions but as a fan, I'm still optimistic that there are golden moments to come that will earn him a place in Albion folklore... when these occur, imagine the Paddy-bashers will then either keep their heads down or swear it was a fluke...

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
He has never done anything that has changed a game for us, but yesterday his ability to give away possession needlessly nearly changed it in a negative way!

Selling Souls

Oct 5, 2014
I really don't understand how we can judge a player's ability when he only comes on for 10 mins when we are chasing a game. It must be horrendous for the lad to be expected to be salvage something every time he comes on the pitch. Until I see him him start 5 games on a trot I'll never be able to judge him as a Brighton player. The one game I saw him start at Spurs he was very impressive and retained possession when others around him looked like rabbits caught in headlights.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Being in the South stand, I noticed him clearly putting in his defensive contribution, fairly robustly, which is something Sami always expressed reservations about.

Couldn't help but think he could have been given longer!!!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Disappointing.

His predominance of his right foot makes it easy for defenders. If the first one can't stop him, it is easy to predict where he is going to go. That makes it easier for defenders, but also helps the Albion attackers (in theory). Lualua is much superior in the same position because he is two footed and the opposition does not know what is going to do. I think of him as a reserve.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Made several bad decisions when in good positions yesterday. I'd love to understand what people actually see in this bloke, he's an impact sub, and won't ever be anything more than that for us.

It takes limited imagination to appreciate why so many love McCourt. He is a quite simply brilliant mazy dribbler. My problem is that only one in about a hundred will come off. I'm scratching my head to see how many goals McCourt has scored or created this season. I'm pretty sure the answer is ZERO. And yet we get threads like this. I'm wondering when we're going to get a 'Colunga won us a point' thread, as he's a far more intelligent and effective player. He may not be as flash as Paddy, but I'd much rather see the kind of ball he played for Bent's goal against Fulham, than ten of Paddy's mazy dribbles.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
People only see if they want to see.

After the equaliser, we lost possession on an attack. Cummins was bursting free down the right at pace, with Gardner chasing him, and inexplicably not prepared to take a booking for the team, before it reached a dangerous area. Cummins got right up to the box and got a cross in. The only players who had made it back into the box were Dunk and Paddy - who received the ball, cushioned a touch to himself to the edge of the box, then hit a 70 yard quarterback pass, that was within a whisker of clearing the last defender and releasing CMS.

Paddy did choose the wrong option too many times yesterday, but to say he doesn't put any effort in is not accurate.

I'm not doubting his willingness to put the effort in, I am doubting his ability to do so, however, especially for more than a half, maybe even 25 minutes.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
It takes limited imagination to appreciate why so many love McCourt. He is a quite simply brilliant mazy dribbler. My problem is that only one in about a hundred will come off. I'm scratching my head to see how many goals McCourt has scored or created this season. I'm pretty sure the answer is ZERO. And yet we get threads like this. I'm wondering when we're going to get a 'Colunga won us a point' thread, as he's a far more intelligent and effective player. He may not be as flash as Paddy, but I'd much rather see the kind of ball he played for Bent's goal against Fulham, than ten of Paddy's mazy dribbles.

He supplied the cross for one of Dunk's goals this season and then supplied that cross across the box that any striker with a modicum of anticipation would have put in. His pass also created the opportunity for the cross for Calderon to put in. In addition he's had a few mazy runs followed by near-misses.

However, I agree his impact has been reduced recently, as he's faced up to Hyypia's criticism of his defensive work. A lot more sitting back and caution has crept into his play in recent weeks. Still, he put a lovely defence splitting ball in that a better (e.g. Premier League quality) striker would have got on the end of.

Buckeejit

Sep 21, 2014
He supplied the cross for one of Dunk's goals this season and then supplied that cross across the box that any striker with a modicum of anticipation would have put in. His pass also created the opportunity for the cross for Calderon to put in. In addition he's had a few mazy runs followed by near-misses.

However, I agree his impact has been reduced recently, as he's faced up to Hyypia's criticism of his defensive work. A lot more sitting back and caution has crept into his play in recent weeks. Still, he put a lovely defence splitting ball in that a better (e.g. Premier League quality) striker would have got on the end of.

Spot on - he's had such limited game time to really make his mark on the team yet his detractors belittle his talent and moan about his (highly debatable) lack of impact as if he was starting every week...

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Got to be a wind up! - fat, slow and caught in possession - final ball shocking but saying all that he has the ability to turn a game with one bit of skill - its whether in our position in a relegation scrap is he the sort of player we can afford to carry on the pitch?

sahel

Jan 24, 2014
Got to be a wind up! - fat, slow and caught in possession - final ball shocking but saying all that he has the ability to turn a game with one bit of skill - its whether in our position in a relegation scrap is he the sort of player we can afford to carry on the pitch?

clearly we cant afford him in front of brilliantly creative players like JFC, Gardner, Holla, Bennett et al. Much better we huff and puff for 90 minutes in an orgy of mediocrity

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Indeed, surely we don't want to see the fat, slow kind of displays evidenced on here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48RqQqj9L5I

Why would we want anyone who could do things like that....... Says he waiting for someone to point out it was only in Scottish football.

But I do wonder if he would respond to someone giving him some game time and showing confidence in him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here