Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Owen

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Hannibal smith said:
I don't think he is the saviour but all teams that win big trophys have a holding midfield player

Keane Man U
Viera Arsenal
Makele Chelsea

Liverpool always had one when they won everything. Souness, Steve McMahon. Every team needs someone to win the ball in the middle. Unfortuantely England don't currently have it.

Oatway is apparently on standby.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Trufflehound said:
You don't honestly think Holland are going to fail to qualify do you? Have you seen their group table??

nobody thought holland would fail to qualify for the last world cup

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Scotty M said:
nobody thought holland would fail to qualify for the last world cup

True, but back then they screwed up in the qualifying matches - they haven't this time. To fail to qualify they have to lose to the Czech republic AND fail to beat Macedonia at home; PLUS the Czechs can't drop another point.

It won't happen.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Trufflehound said:
True, but back then they screwed up in the qualifying matches - they haven't this time. To fail to qualify they have to lose to the Czech republic AND fail to beat Macedonia at home; PLUS the Czechs can't drop another point.

It won't happen.

good point. if holland make it i reckon they could have a reasonably good campaign. they did well at euro 2004, and appear to be over their penalty jinx

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Ahh, this is where the Sven argument thread is eh. Can't be arsed to read through 15 pages, but my two-penneth:

Yes, job done on Saturday, but yet another totaly unconvincing performance. Sven-lovers everywhere will say the 4-5-1 worked and point at the scoreline as evidence. Personally I thought we looked dreadfully disjointed, and it got worse and worse as the game went on. By the time Sven started chucking on his subs, whatever gameplan there was just fell apart at the seams, and I saw NOTHING to suggest that a competent side won't walk all over us (again) when it comes to the crunch. Gerrard admitted himself that "it got confusing" with the substitutions. Christ on a f***ing BIKE, what on earth does Sven do with the team all week ? If it "got confusing" against Wales, what the hell are we gonna do if we have to play Germany ? Or Argentina ?

Uncle B seems to peddle this theory that "it'll be alright on the night" and everything will suddenly fall into place next summer. Sven will work out a settled XI and play them in a system that suits them, and that all these SHITE performances in qualifying really don't matter cos all we have to do is just GET THERE and worry about the tournament later.

Well as sure as my arse has a hole in it, I can guarantee that next summer, we won't be ready. We will once again get found out by the first bit of quality we come up against, and end up limping out of the tournament with our tails between our legs, desperately trying to come up with another handful of excuses about weather, injuries and luck. Just like in Japan. Just like in Portugal. We have NOT progressed under Eriksson over the last four years - we have stagnated and probably gone backwards. Which, considering the players we have at the moment, is f***ing criminal.

Thank you.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Easy 10 said:
Ahh, this is where the Sven argument thread is eh. Can't be arsed to read through 15 pages, but my two-penneth:

Yes, job done on Saturday, but yet another totaly unconvincing performance. Sven-lovers everywhere will say the 4-5-1 worked and point at the scoreline as evidence. Personally I thought we looked dreadfully disjointed, and it got worse and worse as the game went on. By the time Sven started chucking on his subs, whatever gameplan there was just fell apart at the seams, and I saw NOTHING to suggest that a competent side won't walk all over us (again) when it comes to the crunch. Gerrard admitted himself that "it got confusing" with the substitutions. Christ on a f***ing BIKE, what on earth does Sven do with the team all week ? If it "got confusing" against Wales, what the hell are we gonna do if we have to play Germany ? Or Argentina ?

Uncle B seems to peddle this theory that "it'll be alright on the night" and everything will suddenly fall into place next summer. Sven will work out a settled XI and play them in a system that suits them, and that all these SHITE performances in qualifying really don't matter cos all we have to do is just GET THERE and worry about the tournament later.

Well as sure as my arse has a hole in it, I can guarantee that next summer, we won't be ready. We will once again get found out by the first bit of quality we come up against, and end up limping out of the tournament with our tails between our legs, desperately trying to come up with another handful of excuses about weather, injuries and luck. Just like in Japan. Just like in Portugal. We have NOT progressed under Eriksson over the last four years - we have stagnated and probably gone backwards. Which, considering the players we have at the moment, is f***ing criminal.

Thank you.

We have stagnated under Sven, yeah right, get your anti Sven glasses off and actually look at where we were when he took over and where are now.

In 2000 when came in we had one point in the qualifying group, by the end of that qualifying tournament we had won the group. That looks like progress. But more importantly he started selecting the best players available and stopped chucking in form players like Michael Gray and Kevin Phillips. The squad collection became consistent and to get into the 22 you had to have as a rule something about you.

OK the Brazil defeat in 2002 was annoying but if Keegan or Hoddle had been involved we would have crashed out at the first round. You, in the past have gone on about the flukey win against Argentina, well we won it and whats more had a gameplan which worked.

For Euro 2004 we won the qualifying group that we were not the seeds in. I agree the Portugal game was the one where he got it wrong. They were there for the taking and at 1-0 we were the better side. The Rooney injury was the turning point and he should probably have brought Heskey on as it would have given us some variety.

For these qualifiers it is in our hands, 7 from 9 points sees us home. At this stage I will take that.

Once we have qualified then we have to look at fine tuning the team, whether that be the midfield pairings or the fact that Terry is not good enough.

But the team has moved on for the better from the state that Keegan left it in.

Go back to the comedy articles and leave the Sven bashing.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Thats bollocks Uncle B. I don't care WHAT country the England manager comes from, and I DON'T just want some tub-thumping idiot on the sidelines either.

I want someone who can get that extra 10-15% out of a group of players. Someone who plays players in their right positions. Someone who is tactically astute and can think and react during a game. Someone who does not live in fear of upsetting one of his favourites. Is that really too much to ask ?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Easy 10 said:
Thats bollocks Uncle B. I don't care WHAT country the England manager comes from, and I DON'T just want some tub-thumping idiot on the sidelines either.

I want someone who can get that extra 10-15% out of a group of players. Someone who plays players in their right positions. Someone who is tactically astute and can think and react during a game. Someone who does not live in fear of upsetting one of his favourites. Is that really too much to ask ?

In fairness Wales was the first time there was a chronic case of out of position players in a competitive game under Sven and that was after the substitutions.

Go back to making geeks hard and wet with your comedy articles.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Easy 10 said:

and mcghee really plays players in there right postions!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here