Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Owen

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Uncle Buck said:
In fairness Wales was the first time there was a chronic case of out of position players in a competitive game under Sven and that was after the substitutions.

Go back to making geeks hard and wet with your comedy articles.

All you can come up with is a cheap jibe at Easy's comedy.......

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Maybe Uncle B can explain exactly how far he feels this England team has progressed under Eriksson over the last 4 years, and in what ways. That should make for some good comedy.

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Well Uncle B, the proof will be in the pudding. If England put in a storming performance next summer but are beaten by a better team having given them one hell of a game, or if we end up winning the bloody thing, then I will bounce one of these threads and you can quite justifiably wave your middle finger and tell me to cram it up my arse.

If, however, we make (yet another) limp, pathetic exit from next summers tournament in line with the last two under this bloke, and come home with nothing more than a suitcase full of excuses and hard-luck stories, then your Sven love-in threads can be saught and similarly exposed.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Easy 10 said:
Well Uncle B, the proof will be in the pudding. If England put in a storming performance next summer but are beaten by a better team having given them one hell of a game, or if we end up winning the bloody thing, then I will bounce one of these threads and you can quite justifiably wave your middle finger and tell me to cram it up my arse.

If, however, we make (yet another) limp, pathetic exit from next summers tournament in line with the last two under this bloke, and come home with nothing more than a suitcase full of excuses and hard-luck stories, then your Sven love-in threads can be saught and similarly exposed.

If point proving makes you happy then you go for it.

Once we have won the thing I will be as pissed as a fart in Berlin whilst trying to work out how the hell I get back to England. Also I will be collecting the £100 my Scottish friend will owe me and generally being smug.

However I have no intention of bouncing threads in geekdom to prove a point. I will leave that to the likes of you.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
KinkyGoebels said:
and mcghee really plays players in there right postions!
OK, I'll reply (although its fairly obvious).
McGhee has the pick of about 22 players and has to do the best he can with the resources he has available to him within that small Albion squad. That will inevitably mean that at times, the players he has at his disposal are going to have to be played out of position from time to time.

Sven has the pick of every professional english footballer in this country and abroad. His job, therefore, is to find the very best englishman for each respective position - somewhat more choice than what McGhee has at his disposal.

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
But he plays them out of postion even when he has players who can play there.
I dont think you can claim Svens weakness is playing people in the wrong postion

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Easy 10 said:
OK, I'll reply (although its fairly obvious).
McGhee has the pick of about 22 players and has to do the best he can with the resources he has available to him within that small Albion squad. That will inevitably mean that at times, the players he has at his disposal are going to have to be played out of position from time to time.

Sven has the pick of every professional english footballer in this country and abroad. His job, therefore, is to find the very best englishman for each respective position - somewhat more choice than what McGhee has at his disposal.

But at the same time, McGhee had players to cover various positions, but last season choose not to use certain ones and so play people out of position.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Uncle Buck said:
If point proving makes you happy then you go for it.

Once we have won the thing I will be as pissed as a fart in Berlin whilst trying to work out how the hell I get back to England. Also I will be collecting the £100 my Scottish friend will owe me and generally being smug.

However I have no intention of bouncing threads in geekdom to prove a point. I will leave that to the likes of you.
That sounds very fair and gracious, and i thank you for it.

I hope you are absolutely right, and that Sven is indeed a veritable tactical genius and motivational legend behind those studious spectacles. I hope you are and have been right on the money all along, and that he leads this England squad on a thrilling adventure in Germany, culminating in the winning of the World Cup. And I hope you have a fantastic time in Germany following the team - which, if you're right about Eriksson, you most certainly will.

My doubts remain. But I hope you are right.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
With regards to playing players out of position, Sven has done it twice. The Holland friendly where he played a different formation and so it meant that Johnson was on the right side of 3 forwards and on Saturday when he made subsitutions but did not change the formation, meaning that Rooney ended up on the right. Now I suppose you can claim that everyone who has played on the left of midfield other than Downing and Alan 'beggar' Thompson were out of postion, but that is down to the fact that for the best part of a generation as a nation we have not been able to produce a decent left midfielder.

Other than that Sven has generally either played 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 and defenders have played in defence, midfielders in midfield and attackers in attack.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
KinkyGoebels said:
But he plays them out of postion even when he has players who can play there.
I dont think you can claim Svens weakness is playing people in the wrong postion
Its not in the Top 3 of Sven weakenesses perhaps, although her really doesn't seem to know what to do with Rooney.

As for McGhee, I'll admit that I'm surprised Hart is preferred to El-Abd at RB at the moment. But there must be a reason for it. Maybe he's not been training well. Maybe McGhee doesn't feel he's up to it at the moment. But whatever way you slice it, McGhee does not have the plethora of players and options to choose from as Sven - he may have one or two alternatives to try, Sven has as many as he likes. Thats the nature of the job. Svens job is to find the best player for every position, even if that means sacrificing a "flair" player for the sake of the shape of the team. But he'd rather play square pegs/round holes to accomodate everyone who he feels MUST play.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here