Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Owen

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
He shouldnt have let in that free kick in france game and even tho gerrard gave that woefull back pass did james really need to dive in at him since henry was going nowhere?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
KinkyGoebels said:
james shopuld never be NEAR the squad again

It comes back to the lack of decent keepers. Martyn is not willing to go into the squad unless he gets the Number 1 shirt. Robinson is doing OK, Green is playing in the Championship. Kirkland if he stays fit could at last offer a bit of competition. It showed how much we struggle in this position by the fact that Carson went on the USA Tour, even though he is not number 1 at Liverpool. Other than that lot, there are not many keepers around, hence James gets in.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Uncle Buck said:
Really?

He has dropped Ashley Cole in the past due to poor form. James got dropped after his blunder in Vienna. Joe Cole has forced his way in, as has Lampard, as has Rooney.

He has a reasonably settled 8 and a few spots that are up for grabs, such as who Ferdinand's partner is and who will play on the left. But at the same time it shows a reasonably good side that it is settled, rather than the chuck crap form players in which happened in the past.

Do you think he will ever drop Beckham? His workrate was shocking in Portugal but he never ever was subbed, let alone dropped. In hindsight subbing Figo was a masterstroke by the Portugeuse manager but you get the feeling that will never happen with Beckham no matter how badly he plays.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
KinkyGoebels said:
He shouldnt have let in that free kick in france game and even tho gerrard gave that woefull back pass did james really need to dive in at him since henry was going nowhere?

If Phil Neville had made that back pass rather than Gerrard, would there even be a mention of James's part in giving away the penalty?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Hannibal smith said:
Do you think he will ever drop Beckham? His workrate was shocking in Portugal but he never ever was subbed, let alone dropped. In hindsight subbing Figo was a masterstroke by the Portugeuse manager but you get the feeling that will never happen with Beckham no matter how badly he plays.

I tend to agree with that - the other thing people say is if you get a free kick on the edge of the box you want Beckham on the pitch - why? when was the last time he scored from one, no the last time he hit the target with one?

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Hannibal smith said:

Not sure on that one, as there were games in Japan where he was not fit and should have come off. But a fit Beckham is an asset, not just due to the crossing, but also his workrate on the right in superb.

My main issue is he tries to accomodate too many midfielders that are similar, currently Gerrard and Lampard and in Euro 2004 he also played Scholes with these 2, which meant you had 3 players that liked to bomb forward. I think that the midfield needs a bit of balance and at present I would sacrifice fat Frank for Carrick, he will at least do a holding role.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Robinson is doing more than ok in my book. Cue the horrendous clanger ! ......god hope not as we will really be screwed if he starts making errors, i dont see that happening though.

I dont remember Cole getting dropped, and Rooney and Lampard forced there way into the side as you say 2 years ago, on the back of massive media pessure and Scholes Retiring.

We have all known the starting 11 Sven will pick for a pretty long period now, with the exception of Joe Cole on the left.

This would be a good thing as continuity is good, but as they know they wont get dropped it takes the edge of all there performances.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Uncle Buck said:
Not sure on that one, as there were games in Japan where he was not fit and should have come off. But a fit Beckham is an asset, not just due to the crossing, but also his workrate on the right in superb.

My main issue is he tries to accomodate too many midfielders that are similar, currently Gerrard and Lampard and in Euro 2004 he also played Scholes with these 2, which meant you had 3 players that liked to bomb forward. I think that the midfield needs a bit of balance and at present I would sacrifice fat Frank for Carrick, he will at least do a holding role.

I think Beckham's workrate was superb - Has never been the same since he went to Madrid. The Greece game in qualifaction for 2002 he was everywhere but he has never produced a game like that for England ever since. Maybe dropping him / subbing him / some kind of motivation is the answer which Sven dosen't seem to be able to provide at the moment.

I agree with your other point. Sven likes to pick his best players out of position. Unlike Mcghee he is not constrained with a small squad and budget but has the whole of England to choose from. Andy Johnson on the right wing is the best example. Play him up front or not at all.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Marshy said:
Robinson is doing more than ok in my book. Cue the horrendous clanger ! ......god hope not as we will really be screwed if he starts making errors, i dont see that happening though.

I dont remember Cole getting dropped, and Rooney and Lampard forced there way into the side as you say 2 years ago, on the back of massive media pessure and Scholes Retiring.

We have all known the starting 11 Sven will pick for a pretty long period now, with the exception of Joe Cole on the left.

This would be a good thing as continuity is good, but as they know they wont get dropped it takes the edge of all there performances.

Cole got dropped for Bridge a couple of years ago after about 3 absolute shockers. Lampard actually forced his way in at the expense of Nick Butt, which then completely unbalanced the midfield, but there you go.

Rooney was probably the only one that got in on the back of media pressure and the fact that Heskey was shite in Leichenstein (cost me £160 to see that clown keep missing the target against a load of plumbers and cow shaggers).

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Uncle Buck said:
Cole got dropped for Bridge a couple of years ago after about 3 absolute shockers. Lampard actually forced his way in at the expense of Nick Butt, which then completely unbalanced the midfield, but there you go.

Rooney was probably the only one that got in on the back of media pressure and the fact that Heskey was shite in Leichenstein (cost me £160 to see that clown keep missing the target against a load of plumbers and cow shaggers).

but you goyt to see the mountains and breath the clean air

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
A couple of years ago though all these things happened.
His starting 11 has been basically selected for 2 years and NOTHING absolutely NOTHING bar Injury will change that.

As i have said before SWP could score 25 goals this season and score a hat trick in the European Cup final and Sven would still pick an injury ravaged 50% fit Beckham for example ahead of him.

Last edited:

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Uncle Buck said:
And paying £7 a beer oh and getting tear gased on the Friday in Zurich. Oh the memories.....

were you in rome for the 0-0 in 1997?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here