Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Owen

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
KinkyGoebels said:
yes but if his first 15 caps he came on with 10 mins left its going to be hard for him to score

He started quite a lot of games under Taylor, as Lineker retired, Shearer was injured and Ferdinand and Sherringham were only starting to establish themselves.

Venables hardly ever picked him as he had Shearer, Sheringham, Ferdinand, Fowler, Barmby and Beardsley as his preferred forwards. Hoddle brought him back and if he had not got injured against Morroco in that warm up tournament before France 98, the suspicsion was he would go to the World Cup rather than Owen.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
England just completely bore me these days sadly.

Friendlies well there just a joke, and even qualification games i cant be bothered to go down the pub and watch them.

Thats what Sven has done for us, i dont think im alone either.

Last edited:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I dont think its a great surprise if one player gets injuried and we are screwed as we never give players a chance to play at the highest level even in friendlies - we then wonder why they are crap when they replace someone

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
KinkyGoebels said:
I dont think its a great surprise if one player gets injuried and we are screwed as we never give players a chance to play at the highest level even in friendlies - we then wonder why they are crap when they replace someone

Yet when we do not play our strongest side in friendlies the usual suspect moan that Sven is devaluing the England team.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Uncle Buck said:
Yet when we do not play our strongest side in friendlies the usual suspect moan that Sven is devaluing the England team.

He used to make 11 changes tho !

At least the rules have been tightened a bit on that.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
KinkyGoebels said:
True - but id rather see friedlies used for what they should be there for and try out new players

I agree but the usual suspects used the Denmark game as another excuse for abusing Sven and referring to the fact that he has used a number of players in the past in these games and that he is making a mockery of the England set up. Surely it is best to see if players are good enough if these games, so what if a few more one cap wonders are created.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Marshy said:
He used to make 11 changes tho !

At least the rules have been tightened a bit on that.

He could just tell the papers the side he is playing days before and the changes he plans to make then people cant moan.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
KinkyGoebels said:
He could just tell the papers the side he is playing days before and the changes he plans to make then people cant moan.

It is the catch 22. In the past England managers have not been able to secure the services of top players for friendlies as club managers have pulled them out. So he works an argreement with the managers that the players turn out but do not play all the game and he gets slated for it.

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Uncle Buck said:
I thought the substitution of Rooney was the issue. Vassell and Owen were so similar, it was about the only time I actually wanted to see Heskey on the pitch, scary.

If only Shearer had been on the bench, we would probably have won the game and the Championship. I saw the Dutch twice and they weren't up to much and the Greeks would have been like a premiership game.

Vasell, like Danny Mills and Trevor Sinclair before are players who you cant believe made the England team in the last 4 years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here