[Misc] Owen Patterson M.P.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
This is why we need to scrap FPTP and replace with PR. many decent ordinary folk who would usually vote Tory despise BJ and his Government, many have turned against Brexit, but all the moderate Tory backbench MPs in safe seats will always get voted back in and endorse the current government, so nothing changes. If the party and government as a whole knew they would get a real kick in from the electorate they wouldn't do it

FPTP....only other European nations that use it are Vatican City and Belarus

So many people feel unrepresented from every political persuasion. I'd start from scratch

PR
Turn HOP in museum and build a modern parliament
Ditch HOL for elected upper chamber
Written constitution (system no longer compatible with today's numerous dishonest actors)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This episode reminds me of when the mighty River Plate got relegated from the Argentinian Premier League. So they changed the rules at the end of the season to say that actually it wasn't about the points you got that season, it was an average of the points you got in the three previous seasons. And then backdated the rule to the last season, meaning River Plate survived.
Yet today the Argentinian Premier League are looking at this story, shaking their heads, sucking in air and saying:-

"Ay carumba muchio muchio cajones" (and I've never even played cricket for Yorkshire)

Probably.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
What perplexes me is that this bloke is a no-one as far as the government and conservatives are concerned. Worst-case scenario, he gets suspended and it results in a by-election, which they’d almost certainly win, but if they didn’t they’d still have a 78 seat majority. Regardless of how some people will always support the tories, this will cause them some political damage and future votes, so why not just let this go through the due process? Are they trying to cover their arses for future corruption charges that might come out of the Covid inquiries or other stuff?

The next case that the committee was going to look at involved Alex de Pfeffel Johnson, our Prime Minister. Not a coincidence.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
None of the usual Conservative party apologists posting on this thread.

Too much for even them to stomach?

I am no apologist, but I am a Tory voter and have to say that I think this ‘situation/decision /vote does not reflect well on the Government. In fact, it is abysmal.
P.S. I voted Remain, just in case anyone wants to know.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I am no apologist, but I am a Tory voter and have to say that I think this ‘situation/decision /vote does not reflect well on the Government. In fact, it is abysmal.

Why is this abysmal?

Despite my great hair I'm 51 years old, all I can remember is 'Tory Sleaze'.

This isn't abysmal it's habitual.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
1. Most voters don't like admitting or being told that they are / were wrong.

2. Most voters don't keep up to date with current affairs and so will be ignorant of this Owen Paterson story, effluent in our water supply, the fact that Boris fell asleep unmasked next to 95 year-old Sir David Attenborough etc.

3. The political Left are disunited and fragmented.

4. There is a right-wing media machine that deliberately distorts the facts.

So for things to change people need to be more humble, more questioning, stop buying into tabloid rubbish, while Labour / Lib Dem / Green need to get their Progressive Alliance shit together.

It is plain we need to change so many things about the way we live and yet our governing party seems intent on living in the past. The clue is in the name - Conservative.

Re distorting the facts. The Daily Mail know they can't ignore this story like the other you mention on point 2, but what they have done is subtle and clever.

Read this front page. What is NOT mentioned?

Daily Heil.PNG

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Re distorting the facts. The Daily Mail know they can't ignore this story like the other you mention on point 2, but what they have done is subtle and clever.

Read this front page. What is NOT mentioned?

View attachment 141863
The word " Tory " between shameless and MP'S

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
That is a bit misleading - what does 'makes Randox mandatory for travel' mean? They never had a monopoly or the only service you could use

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Absolutely no point in writing to my MP.

John Whittingdale.
Chair of the new Committee set up to whitewash the findings of the original Committee.

Surely that couldn't possibly be the same John Whittingdale that used to employ Johnson's current squeeze?

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I find it hard to believe, you of all posters, think this is a 'wow' moment.

https://www.private-eye.co.uk/podcast/65

You're quite right.

Sadly, I have had a fair idea of what was going on throughout the pandemic but to see it actually being reported at last. The reply, every time it was bought up anywhere by anyone at the time was that 'the time to look at what happened is after the pandemic is over' ??? (including on the Covid sub forum on here)

So now another reason is needed and this is obviously what is behind this latest attempt to destroy Parliamentary accountability.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You're quite right.

Sadly, I have had a fair idea of what was going on throughout the pandemic but to see it actually being reported at last. The reply, every time it was bought up anywhere by anyone at the time was that 'the time to look at what happened is after the pandemic is over' ??? (including on the Covid sub forum on here)

So now another reason is needed and this is obviously what is behind this latest attempt to destroy Parliamentary accountability.

Click play on that Podcast.
I'm refreshing my memory, Randox gets a mention, but they aren't even a 'big fish' in this corruption.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
That is a bit misleading - what does 'makes Randox mandatory for travel' mean? They never had a monopoly or the only service you could use

Certainly open to interpretation. The Government made the tests mandatory and Randox had the Government contract as the UK's largest PCR testing provider :shrug:

Ministers face calls to intervene in ‘scam’ Covid travel test system

As photos posted online showed drop-off boxes run by Randox, the UK’s largest PCR testing provider, overflowing with unprocessed swabs, growing numbers of returning holidaymakers are reporting that their test kits are failing to arrive, or are taking up to six days to process.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/10/ministers-face-calls-to-intervene-in-scam-covid-travel-test-system

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports