Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Owen Farrell

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That isn't what the first appeal found. They found that there was late movement of the tackled player thanks to the intervention of another England player. Presumably why the ref on the field gave a yellow, no?

True. But I bet a player playing for another team wouldn't have hired a highly expensive KC to argue his case. In 99 cases out of 100, the player would have taken his punishment, it's because he's England captain that the RFU flashed the cash.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Why would you award a drop ball to either team. Presumably the shot might have gone in anyway.

It's a ridiculous idea. Football and rugby are different games for different people. Let's leave them like that.
It's the same as if it had hit the ref and gone in. Not that i've once seen that happen.

I actually think it's spending £700 per year to watch grown men laying down pretending to be hurt that's ridiculous

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
True. But I bet a player playing for another team wouldn't have hired a highly expensive KC to argue his case. In 99 cases out of 100, the player would have taken his punishment, it's because he's England captain that the RFU flashed the cash.
This is completely wrong. Having lawyers assist to determine sporting sanctions will just lead to further disparities between the haves and have nots

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Ok then I'll rephrase it. Your idea is not workable in a way that will not result in total chaos . The time being added now is far closer than it's ever been to the stoppages within play. Players are being booked far easily for time wasting. If a player crawls back on the pitch he will be booked. Also if you haven't noticed already players are being left on the ground far more than before. The ref's aren't stopping play for injuries.

I've watched about 8 games on TV and ours live, I have witnessed the change. The simple yellows being thrown about will stop within weeks as managers come down hard on players picking up cards. Yes there will be occasions when Villa or Newcastle stretch the laws but already they are being singled out for their tactics.
We both want the same thing and hope the current measures work.

The doubt I have is that the great majority of injury feigning isn't to reduce the title time in the game, it's to stop a particular attack, or to earn a breather or to take the sting out of a game when a team is under pressure.

I'm also not convinced that in this era of large squads and 5 subs, yellow cards act as much of a deterrent.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
We both want the same thing and hope the current measures work.

The doubt I have is that the great majority of injury feigning isn't to reduce the title time in the game, it's to stop a particular attack, or to earn a breather or to take the sting out of a game when a team is under pressure.

I'm also not convinced that in this era of large squads and 5 subs, yellow cards act as much of a deterrent.
Yellow cards are leading to sending off's so it will work.

The one thing I'd do is make it a yellow or even a sending off offence to feign head injuries. A player going down clutching their head when it is obvious on replay they weren't touched. VAR have the time to review it as the game currently has to be stopped.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
It's the same as if it had hit the ref and gone in. Not that i've once seen that happen.

This is completely O/T, but in football (soccer) the referee was always deemed to be part of the field of play, the same as the frame of the goal is. So if the ball hit the ref play would continue, and if it hit the ref and went in it was a goal, in exactly the same way as it would be if the ball had gone in off the post or crossbar. (No, I never saw it either, I'm sure all hell would have broken out.).

Then in 2019 the rules were changed, and if the ref touched the ball (or more likely, the ball touched the ref) play would stop and be re-started with a drop ball.

That's all, carry on.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Yellow cards are leading to sending off's so it will work.

The one thing I'd do is make it a yellow or even a sending off offence to feign head injuries. A player going down clutching their head when it is obvious on replay they weren't touched. VAR have the time to review it as the game currently has to be stopped.
Well yes and even if this can't be done in game, then a very lengthy ban should be given retrospectively. The rule that play is stopped is to protect the lives and long term well being of fellow professionals. It's not to try to earn your team a minor advantage.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I didn’t see the Farrell tackle. I can see that plenty of ex players and Nigel Owens insist it was a red but I can’t find video footage. Can any of you help?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
This is completely O/T, but in football (soccer) the referee was always deemed to be part of the field of play, the same as the frame of the goal is. So if the ball hit the ref play would continue, and if it hit the ref and went in it was a goal, in exactly the same way as it would be if the ball had gone in off the post or crossbar. (No, I never saw it either, I'm sure all hell would have broken out.).

Then in 2019 the rules were changed, and if the ref touched the ball (or more likely, the ball touched the ref) play would stop and be re-started with a drop ball.

That's all, carry on.
Yes. A physio coming on to treat an injured player could be given the same status as a ref. A physio who in any way deliberately tampers with the game as it's going, would never be allowed to work as a physio in the PL again.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I didn’t see the Farrell tackle. I can see that plenty of ex players and Nigel Owens insist it was a red but I can’t find video footage. Can any of you help?

You may want to ignore the narrative, but it shows the incident.

Red for me.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Farrell makes England useless? I think it’s shit coaching personally and we missed Farrell big time in that pathetic defensive (amongst other things) performance against Ireland when they went through the middle like a knife through hot butter and Ireland didn’t even play that well!
I do agree that the coaching is woeful but I think with Farrell in the team any creativity is stifled completely and the team simply stick to the one game plan, without him in the team we are forced to look at alternative option some of which might even be more attacking and expansive.

There is an issue with England rugby from top to bottom, we have not (and do not look like) embracing the more dynamic modern game and we are getting left behind.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Many is the time I've seen NSC sages state that football should be refereed more like rugby and that VAR works in rugby.

Well, as an egg-chasing layman I've been following the Owen Farrell situation and here's what it looks like to me. Ref gives a yellow on the field (which means sin bin). While Farrell is in the bin VAR change it to a red. It's then appealed and goes back to a yellow thanks to a committee. This sets loose the social media hounds of Wales, Scotland and Australia who spend a day crying about it before another committee says they will review it again and make it a red again.

Imagine if that happened in football, that we lost Harry Kane or Kyle Walker from two World Cup games because some blokes in Perth, Dundee and Neath were a bit upset.

What a shambles. What an absolute clusterfuck. Please NEVER tell me again on here that football should be more like rugby.

......and relax.....
The only off thing about the Farrell is the original panel making a quite clearly wrong decision

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
That's the problem. On field ref and one committee say not. VAR and a different committee say yes. The point is, you can't keep reviewing it. Look at MacAllister, red on the field, most agree it wasn't, suspension then removed and red recinded on review. It's not gone for a second review because Man Utd don't like that outcome.
No. On field ref, decided it was at least a yellow, possibly red. Under the new process this is reviewed during the 10 minutes the player spends in the sin bin. They decided it was a red

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Late to the party here, but this will be interesting to watch at the Rugby World Cup.

What we are seeing is different refereeing decisions in the Northern and Southern hemispheres. There have been several Super Rugby tackles this season that would have been carded in the Northern hemisphere, but in Super Rugby they've been allowed.

In Farrell's case, the original panel was entirely Australian, and saw the tackle as fine. They were right that the involvement of another England player did cause the Wales player to move late.

World Rugby were right to appeal, as regardless of the late movement, the tackle was always high and illegal.

In the World Cup, we may well see a lot of Australian and NZ players sent off because of this. The South Africa players will be okay, as they play their club rugby in the Northern Hemisphere anyway. It will add an interesting dynamic to the tournament... be prepared for whinging Aussies...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here