Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Owen Farrell

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Many is the time I've seen NSC sages state that football should be refereed more like rugby and that VAR works in rugby.

Well, as an egg-chasing layman I've been following the Owen Farrell situation and here's what it looks like to me. Ref gives a yellow on the field (which means sin bin). While Farrell is in the bin VAR change it to a red. It's then appealed and goes back to a yellow thanks to a committee. This sets loose the social media hounds of Wales, Scotland and Australia who spend a day crying about it before another committee says they will review it again and make it a red again.

Imagine if that happened in football, that we lost Harry Kane or Kyle Walker from two World Cup games because some blokes in Perth, Dundee and Neath were a bit upset.

What a shambles. What an absolute clusterfuck. Please NEVER tell me again on here that football should be more like rugby.

......and relax.....

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Well, lots of things in football should be more like in rugby. On field treatment while the game is going on, the way that when a decision is being reviewed, people in the ground actually have a clue what is going on. Lots of cultural things are better as well, for example lack of play acting

But yes, this Farrell thing is farcical.

I guess no sport gets it right all the time

fly high

Aug 25, 2011
in a house
Many is the time I've seen NSC sages state that football should be refereed more like rugby and that VAR works in rugby.

Well, as an egg-chasing layman I've been following the Owen Farrell situation and here's what it looks like to me. Ref gives a yellow on the field (which means sin bin). While Farrell is in the bin VAR change it to a red. It's then appealed and goes back to a yellow thanks to a committee. This sets loose the social media hounds of Wales, Scotland and Australia who spend a day crying about it before another committee says they will review it again and make it a red again.

Imagine if that happened in football, that we lost Harry Kane or Kyle Walker from two World Cup games because some blokes in Perth, Dundee and Neath were a bit upset.

What a shambles. What an absolute clusterfuck. Please NEVER tell me again on here that football should be more like rugby.

......and relax.....
Agreed an utter mess. Not sure why the other countries should be that bothered, with or without him England are crap at the moment.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I don't watch rugby but purely from the original post surely they have demonstrated enough "doubt" here for a red to be inappropriate ?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
At the end of the day, was it a red card offence or not?
That's the problem. On field ref and one committee say not. VAR and a different committee say yes. The point is, you can't keep reviewing it. Look at MacAllister, red on the field, most agree it wasn't, suspension then removed and red recinded on review. It's not gone for a second review because Man Utd don't like that outcome.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Nothing really to add, other than a rugby ball is not the same shape as an egg.

As you were.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
That's the problem. On field ref and one committee say not. VAR and a different committee say yes. The point is, you can't keep reviewing it. Look at MacAllister, red on the field, most agree it wasn't, suspension then removed and red recinded on review. It's not gone for a second review because Man Utd don't like that outcome.
The difference being that I've hardly seen anyone online or on tv saying MacAllister's is a red but it's the opposite for Farrell.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Well, lots of things in football should be more like in rugby. On field treatment while the game is going on, the way that when a decision is being reviewed, people in the ground actually have a clue what is going on. Lots of cultural things are better as well, for example lack of play acting

This with bells on. I would add only captains being allowed to talk to refs. My old mate @Guinness Boy is 'aving a mare with his opinion here. Rugby has things organised much better. And it's far harder to get right. I agree with the Farrell thing though. However, I've watched it and it is a red card and should have remained.

Last edited:

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
But on Farrell. I believe that should be a red and he should have the book thrown at him as he has lots of previous for these sort of challenges.

Upright shoulder challenges need to be removed from the game and the best way is to make an example of someone high profile. Sorry Owen

Personally I don't think England would suffer too much without him. There are 4 sides who can win the tournament in my view. New Zealand, South Africa, Ireland and France. We are miles behind all of them and will be well beaten as soon as we face one of them in a knock out game.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

On field treatment in football is utter madness, it would cause chaos.

A defender goes down injured has, since the offside rule was introduced, still remained active and so plays the opposition on side. If he is being attended to is he still active? If not at what point does he become inactive? If it's when he is on the ground then defenders will suddenly sit down "injured" and the attacker suddenly becomes offside, utter madness.

Then there's the speed the ball and the players move around the whole pitch, rugby doesn't.

Then there's areas on the pitch that having the sponge holder attending a player would be dangerous or farcical such as the centre circle or penalty area,

Who decides when the sponge man can come on? And how many? How many players can be treated at the same time.

After being attended to when is the player allowed to become active, just as the ball passed him maybe!!

Chaos utter chaos.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Personally I don't think England would suffer too much without him. There are 4 sides who can win the tournament in my view. New Zealand, South Africa, Ireland and France. We are miles behind all of them and will be well beaten as soon as we face one of them in a knock out game.

I agree with your view. The draw has been kind though and that won't happen until the semi.

Wales won't make it out of the group imo neither will Scotland though they are a much better team.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
On field treatment in football is utter madness, it would cause chaos.

A defender goes down injured has, since the offside rule was introduced, still remained active and so plays the opposition on side. If he is being attended to is he still active? If not at what point does he become inactive? If it's when he is on the ground then defenders will suddenly sit down "injured" and the attacker suddenly becomes offside, utter madness.

Then there's the speed the ball and the players move around the whole pitch, rugby doesn't.

Then there's areas on the pitch that having the sponge holder attending a player would be dangerous or farcical such as the centre circle or penalty area,

Who decides when the sponge man can come on? And how many? How many players can be treated at the same time.

After being attended to when is the player allowed to become active, just as the ball passed him maybe!!

Chaos utter chaos.
Well, yes, precisely. It would be carnage. As for 'only the captain allowed to approach', changes this season mean that there will be bookings if the ref in football is approached by a group of players, entirely sensible. No need for it to be the captain. Again, the captain in rugby is always close to the action. In football you could have a keeper who is the captain called to discuss an incident that happened in the other six yard box that he didn't see properly.

They are totally different games, but clearly rugby is just as inconsistent and just as likely to be mob influenced.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here