Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Owen Coyle sacked

Bolton va va

Nov 20, 2012
Shocking news if true, class manager who always respects the traditions of the clubs he manages. Never forget how he handled the Muamba saga, Wigan are completely delusional thinking they are going to walk the Championship in season 1.
What ???? I've no idea what the tradition stuff means, but Coyle only handled the Muamba saga in the same way anyone else would have done, but the way he grossly mismanaged Muamba the player should have got him sacked on it's own.

A dreadful manager who wiped out over 10 years of progress at Bolton, cost us our premier league place & if he'd stayed any longer, would have taken us straight through to division 1. The *******. I'm only sorry he didn't stay at Wiggin longer to do them more damage.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Just caught DW on Sky Sports News and I get the impression he and Owen Coyle didn't get on at all. Asked him to resign, said he didn't like his team selection or the team's performance. In the same interview he praised Martinez and had a dig at Coyle at the same time. Words along the lines of "you can get lucky with a great manager like Martinez, or get someone you don't get on with and the fans don't like, and that's what happened with Owen..."

What a charmer.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
The mystery is, how the hell did Whelan appoint him in the first place? Surely he would have done a bit of due diligence....? Anyway, he's realised his mistake, but can't afford to make another one, otherwise Wigan will readily turn into another Middlesborough (or worse).

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
The mystery is, how the hell did Whelan appoint him in the first place? Surely he would have done a bit of due diligence....? Anyway, he's realised his mistake, but can't afford to make another one, otherwise Wigan will readily turn into another Middlesborough (or worse).

Birmingham seem to be a decent comparison. Relegated from the Premier League, play first season in Championship with European football and find it tough going, now languishing down in 19th place and in all sorts of financial problems with an owner up on money laundering charges.

It strikes me that Dave Whelan thinks it will be a doodle for Wigan to get back up to the PL. Personally I don't think he could be more wrong…

Still, Gus to Wigan? :jester:

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Birmingham seem to be a decent comparison. Relegated from the Premier League, play first season in Championship with European football and find it tough going, now languishing down in 19th place and in all sorts of financial problems with an owner up on money laundering charges.

It strikes me that Dave Whelan thinks it will be a doodle for Wigan to get back up to the PL. Personally I don't think he could be more wrong…

Still, Gus to Wigan? :jester:

Chris Hughton did a fine job getting Birmingham into the play offs the season they played Europa League football.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
How was Owen Coyle a logical replacement for Martinez anyway? How is Wurzel?

I am so glad that our club has a vision for the way we want to play and appoints managers accordingly and not just appoint a "name" and hope for the best.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
The worst thing about Wigan sackings is having to listen to the relentless media whoring of Dave Whelan. If I switched over to QVC he would probably be on there selling the Wigan job

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Chris Hughton did a fine job getting Birmingham into the play offs the season they played Europa League football.

Did he? OK, fair enough. Now, though...

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
What ???? I've no idea what the tradition stuff means, but Coyle only handled the Muamba saga in the same way anyone else would have done, but the way he grossly mismanaged Muamba the player should have got him sacked on it's own.

A dreadful manager who wiped out over 10 years of progress at Bolton, cost us our premier league place & if he'd stayed any longer, would have taken us straight through to division 1. The *******. I'm only sorry he didn't stay at Wiggin longer to do them more damage.

And with this I've discovered one of the Reeboks finest boo boys... let me guess you're on the terraces with the 16 years old's claiming that the days of Okocha and Campo are rightfully yours and that Gary Megson and Coyle destroyed Boltons top flight status. Do bore off. He had the support of every fan in Bolton in his first two seasons, brought through some brilliant players like Cahill not to mention the way he integrated Sturridge and Wilshere. Hugely unlucky circumstances navigated his demise, Chung Yong and Holden broken legs, Cahills blood clot and the infamous 5-0 at Wembley (and yes I was there). He kept the club up in season 1, and for most of season 2 they were in the top half flirting with the top 7.

What you saw was a team dejected of confidence - at no point do I blame Coyle... besides he saved Bolton from the Megson era with arguably a much less capable squad than the one he left.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
And with this I've discovered one of the Reeboks finest boo boys... let me guess you're on the terraces with the 16 years old's claiming that the days of Okocha and Campo are rightfully yours and that Gary Megson and Coyle destroyed Boltons top flight status. Do bore off. He had the support of every fan in Bolton in his first two seasons, brought through some brilliant players like Cahill not to mention the way he integrated Sturridge and Wilshere. Hugely unlucky circumstances navigated his demise, Chung Yong and Holden broken legs, Cahills blood clot and the infamous 5-0 at Wembley (and yes I was there). He kept the club up in season 1, and for most of season 2 they were in the top half flirting with the top 7.

What you saw was a team dejected of confidence - at no point do I blame Coyle... besides he saved Bolton from the Megson era with arguably a much less capable squad than the one he left.

Leave it out Northernseagull!

I hope you don't think you're speaking on behalf of us. I've had decent exchanges with Bolton va va on NSC before. He's entitled to believe Coyle is clueless, because he is.

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
Leave it out Northernseagull!

I hope you don't think you're speaking on behalf of us. I've had decent exchanges with Bolton va va on NSC before. He's entitled to believe Coyle is clueless, because he is.

I'm rather entitled to my opinion given the time I've spent at Burden & the Reebok - when at any point did I mention I speak on behalf on NSC ???

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
I'm rather entitled to my opinion given the time I've spent at Burden & the Reebok - when at any point did I mention I speak on behalf on NSC ???

Read your previous post back to yourself. Stinks of a person who thinks his opinion is worth a lot more than anyone elses. 'Bore off' etc.

To be fair to Bolton va va he came on here just after Whelan appointed Coyle last summer, saying he was hopeless and a poor choice. Guess what?

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
The loan signings Coyle made were instrumental to them staying in the Premier League. The first couple of seasons he was there, he brought in Wilshere and Sturridge on loan and they played a big part in Bolton's mid-table finishes. The following season he brought in David Ngog and they got relegated. The long term injuries they had to Holden and Chung-Yong-Lee certainly didn't help them and what happened to Fabrice Muamba obviously affected the club, but it was really the bad start they made to that season at home that cost them. Over the years they were in the Premier League, the Reebok Stadium was a really tough place to go, but that season they fell to pieces on home soil. Coyle's tactics played a big part in that happening.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Just an observation at the time Bobkin. I wasn't disagreeing with your earlier post.

I know, I honestly couldn't remember how they got on the first season back in the Champ. I presumed that given all the extra games they finished mid-table, bit like Wigan presently…

Bolton va va

Nov 20, 2012

There's a brave little soldier.

Actually I started at Burnden on the Lever End, watched home & away in the 3rd & 4th divisions & have seen Bolton on well over 100 grounds....so not exactly a 16 year old Reebok boo boy.

Since you've avoided explaining your tradition comment, or the mismanagement of Muamba & not even started on Coyle's destruction of over 10 years progress at Bolton we'll look at your latest ill informed drivel..
......as a popular ex player & our new manager ,of course Coyle was supported at Bolton..why would he not be ? he was also given time & financial support from the board, so there was nobody else to blame for the mess he made of the job.
.....Cahill was brought in by Megson, not Coyle.
.....it's arguable how much Wilshire & Sturridge benefitted Bolton, but the rest of Coyle's loans -Weiss ,Kakuta, Boyota, Myaichi etc were disastrous, his signings -Blake, Mears, Pratley etc were also disastrous, 4million wasted on N'Gog, over 3million wasted on Sordell, signed in January when we were already,
in relegation trouble & then deemed not good enough to start a single game
......the "infamous" 0-5 at Wembley...when the imbecile Coyle fielded the physically weakest possible team against the most physical team in the league, & then seemed surprised when we were brushed aside.

You might also explain how , apart from wrecking Bolton and getting sacked, a manager you rate so highly has now been sacked at Wigan.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here