Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Over a 1000 tickets left for tomorrows match - how come ?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
And, legally, you aren't allowed to pass your ticket around! A blind eye has been turned for many a year but it doesn't change the legality as far as I'm aware.

Your letter to PB should be good. 'Dear Mr Barber, why are the club doing their damndest to stop me breaking the law?'
Legally, I believe you aren't allowed to sell on your ticket at a profit (unless you're a well known firm that routinely buys blocks of tickets for concerts, etc., and sells them in for enormous profits). It's more a case of T&Cs causing the problem - this is nothing new it has been a standard for years. For example, It used to apply to train tickets (maybe it still does?) but no family has ever been turfed off a train or fined because dad bought the tickets for all of them, or if one person queued up and bought two tickets, one for a friend who was queueing for the buffet.
It was quite simply never enforced, nobody was ever bothered about it, and no harm was done. Until recently, that was the same at football matches - this new obsession for charging people to use a ticket that's already been paid for, and making it more and more difficult to beg, steal, borrow or buy a ticket to watch a game of football is nothing more than a power trip (with an element of a small (in football club turnover terms) money grab.
It doesn't need complaining about - it needs a campaign to stop it. Sadly, will probably never happen.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I just do not understand the club’s thinking with the ticket swap system. It ‘might’ have worked pre-Covid when we had 5k on the ST waiting list. Now that waiting list is gone and we can’t fill the ground it looks like what it is……a mistake. They are allowed to make them.

Record gate receipts today will help gloss over any negative feedback at the next board meeting, I'm sure.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Legally, I believe you aren't allowed to sell on your ticket at a profit (unless you're a well known firm that routinely buys blocks of tickets fir concerts, etc., and sells them at enormous profits). It's more a case of T&Cs - this is nothing new it has been a standard for years. It used to apply to train tickets (maybe it still does?) but no family has ever been turfed off a train or fined because dad bought the tickets for all of them, or if one person queued up and bought two tickets, one for a friend who was queueing for the buffet.
It was quite simply never enforced, nobody was ever bothered about it, and no harm was done. Until recently, that was the same at football matches - this new obsession for charging people to use a ticket that's already been paid fr, and making it more and more difficult to beg, steal, borrow or buy a ticket to watch a game of football is nothing more than a power trip (with an element of a small (in football club turnover terms) money grab.
It doesn't need complaining about - it needs a campaign to stop it. Sadly, will probably never happen.

This post is rambling, but a few points....

It's a criminal offence to even give away a football ticket in England (without the club's permission). Surely everyone knows that by now?!

What happens with gig or train tickets is immaterial. Football has its own set of laws. (But, for the record, if you get caught sharing a train season ticket, you'll end up in court....)

Problematic ticket 'sharing'/touting is still very much a thing, hence the rules I guess - https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/17726114.albion-fan-youtuber-banned-selling-tickets/

Last edited:

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I can`t go ... can`t legally give ticket to friend.. put my ticket on exchange...immediately bought it back for friend who can now I believe legally go. I`ll get refunded less £1 ??

Is this the easiest way to give ticket away ?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Legally, I believe you aren't allowed to sell on your ticket at a profit (unless you're a well known firm that routinely buys blocks of tickets for concerts, etc., and sells them in for enormous profits). It's more a case of T&Cs causing the problem - this is nothing new it has been a standard for years. For example, It used to apply to train tickets (maybe it still does?) but no family has ever been turfed off a train or fined because dad bought the tickets for all of them, or if one person queued up and bought two tickets, one for a friend who was queueing for the buffet.
It was quite simply never enforced, nobody was ever bothered about it, and no harm was done. Until recently, that was the same at football matches - this new obsession for charging people to use a ticket that's already been paid for, and making it more and more difficult to beg, steal, borrow or buy a ticket to watch a game of football is nothing more than a power trip (with an element of a small (in football club turnover terms) money grab.

Why would you campaign against a private organization enforcing whatever rules of entry they wish ? If Tesco decides to require a hop, skip and jump before you are allowed through the door then that is what you will do or just don’t go. You can’t campaign against it because it is none of your (or my) business.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I can`t go ... can`t legally give ticket to friend.. put my ticket on exchange...immediately bought it back for friend who can now go. I`ll get refunded less £1 ??

Also minus the difference between match day ticket price and ST price. But yes, that’s probably the best way.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
I can`t go ... can`t legally give ticket to friend.. put my ticket on exchange...immediately bought it back for friend who can now I believe legally go. I`ll get refunded less £1 ??

Perhaps economical for a one off and above board as you say.

You'll only get the pro rata refund so your total ST cost / 19. Re-buying the ticket will then have cost you more at the match by match price.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Why would you campaign against a private organization enforcing whatever rules of entry they wish ? If Tesco decides to require a hop, skip and jump before you are allowed through the door then that is what you will do or just don’t go. You can’t campaign against it because it is none of your (or my) business.

There's every reason.. Many places didn't used to admit women (or let them vite); following campaigns they do now (changes in both the law and T&Cs). People used to smoke everywhere; following campaigns, they can't now. Other places insisted on jacket, collar and tie, but following protests have now modified their dress codes.
Mist societal changes come about through campaigns and protests - whether against private irganisations or public bodies is immaterial.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

It's a criminal offence to even give away a football ticket in England (without the club's permission). Surely everyone knows that by now?!

What happens with gig or train tickets is immaterial. Football has its own set of laws. (But, for the record, if you get caught sharing a train season ticket, you'll end up in court....)

Problematic ticket 'sharing'/touting is still very much a thing, hence the rules I guess - https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/17726114.albion-fan-youtuber-banned-selling-tickets/
OK, I should have specified ordinary tickets, not season tickets, for the train analogy. Still the same priniple for T&Cs though - just wisely and correctly not applied. And your example from the Argus was selling tickets illegally for profit (and obtained illegally too).

So, laws can be changed; so can T&Cs. Some of us think they should be (but selling on for a profit - ie touting should remain illegal). Some may disagree - that's their prerogative - but my views won't change. And any campaigns, petitions, etc. will have my full support!

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Yes…….essentially the same (plus £1) as ‘upgrading’ a concessionary ticket (which is allowed - ie pay the difference between the ST price and the ST pro rata price) - still not sure why the club can’t allow this to be done without having to use the exchange.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
There's every reason.. Many places didn't used to admit women (or let them vite); following campaigns they do now (changes in both the law and T&Cs). People used to smoke everywhere; following campaigns, they can't now. Other places insisted on jacket, collar and tie, but following protests have now modified their dress codes.
Mist societal changes come about through campaigns and protests - whether against private irganisations or public bodies is immaterial.

I admit I don’t remember the great jacket, collar and tie protests. But then I always follow a dress code out of respect to the hosts or venue. You seem to be painting this as oppression of a discriminated against minority which does rather trivialize actual discrimination. It’s on the Ts and Cs of your ticket and I really think that standing outside the Amex with a protest billboard is about as sensible as wearing one proclaiming the end of the world :)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I admit I don’t remember the great jacket, collar and tie protests. But then I always follow a dress code out of respect to the hosts or venue. You seem to be painting this as oppression of a discriminated against minority which does rather trivialize actual discrimination. It’s on the Ts and Cs of your ticket and I really think that standing outside the Amex with a protest billboard is about as sensible as wearing one proclaiming the end of the world :)
The end of the world will actually happen*, mate - you do realise that don't you? :wink:

*when the sun finally burns out.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
So, laws can be changed; so can T&Cs. Some of us think they should be (but selling on for a profit - ie touting should remain illegal). Some may disagree - that's their prerogative - but my views won't change. And any campaigns, petitions, etc. will have my full support!

Sure, but before joining a campaign, can I suggest you understand which complaint should be aimed at Government, and which at the club?!

I gobsmacked that, in 2021, some people still think they're legally entitled to pass on a football ticket as long as there's no fee. It's basic stuff in the legislation, and the root of all ticketing rules and restrictions.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

...not to mention the club wanting to actually know who is in each seat so that unacceptable behaviour such as racist or homophobic abuse can be dealt with easily by immediately identifying and reporting the culprits.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
A friend wrote to PB and he replied scheme came in because he said spare tickets should go to Albion members. Sorry it came in to try and raise additional income. I dont think he realised that people are not signing up to it because if they miss odd game they dont know anybody who doesnt go to games that is an Albion member

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Sure, but before joining a campaign, can I suggest you understand which complaint should be aimed at Government, and which at the club?!

I gobsmacked that, in 2021, some people still think they're legally entitled to pass on a football ticket as long as there's no fee. It's basic stuff in the legislation, and the root of all ticketing rules and restrictions.

I specified any campaigns - any that are relevant to changing the current status quo, whoever or whatever the campaign is aimed at. Presumanbly it would ultimately have to be against both - even if the givernment turn round and say it's nit illegal to pass your ticket (not for profit) to a mate, I can't see PB giving up his serpentine process of making it as difficult and complicated as possible!

And, legally, you aren't allowed to pass your ticket around! A blind eye has been turned for many a year but it doesn't change the legality as far as I'm aware.

Your letter to PB should be good. 'Dear Mr Barber, why are the club doing their damndest to stop me breaking the law?'

Jesus wept. How is that breaking the law?

I'm intrigued to hear your point.

I wish we lived in an age when people didn't get so upset about passing a ticket on to a fellow fan or friend, which you've paid for, for free as what normal friends do.

It's not just that though. Being made to pay £25 to pass on to someone who now has to have a membership is a joke. Yet more money we have to fork out.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I specified any campaigns - any that are relevant to changing the current status quo, whoever or whatever the campaign is aimed at. Presumanbly it would ultimately have to be against both - even if the givernment turn round and say it's nit illegal to pass your ticket (not for profit) to a mate, I can't see PB giving up his serpentine process of making it as difficult and complicated as possible!

You're missing the point that the law would be the hard bit to change. Literally needs to go through Parliament.

I mean, sure, one could argue that PB and alike use the law as an 'excuse' to implement certain conditions and fees. Wouldn't argue with that!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here