Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Over 50 and trying to find work....................again !

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
First day was 9 and1/2 hours long.
Non stop, with 1/2 hour for lunch.
Back a bit stiff but otherwise good.
Early night I think, will try and check scores when I get up.

Really pleased for you Oz. You'll get used to it all again and be loving it.

Hopefully you get some good news re: the other interviews as well.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Would you believe it.
I've just been offered a proper job, but it would mean being employed by a company and having to endure paid holidays, sickness benefits and superannuation contributions being paid on my behalf, god forbid.
Also getting the use of a company vehicle during my probationary period when required and after that period getting one full time.
The rate of pay is good and will be improved if I pass said probationary period.
At first I will be taking over the Project Management of all the Aldi stores being flitted out in Western Australia and South Australia, after that taking over the role of General Manager for the business.
I've been self employed since 1989, but as the years are passing it will get tougher.
I shouldn't, but I think although I will be very busy, after the years I have endured this would seem like the soft option.
I do know the industry inside out as I have done almost nothing else for the last 10 years.
I start on Weds 29th March, odd day to start, the Mrs has said that I can spend the time in between doing all the work around the house before I forget how to use my tools.
Bless her.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Would you believe it.
I've just been offered a proper job, but it would mean being employed by a company and having to endure paid holidays, sickness benefits and superannuation contributions being paid on my behalf, god forbid.
Also getting the use of a company vehicle during my probationary period when required and after that period getting one full time.
The rate of pay is good and will be improved if I pass said probationary period.
At first I will be taking over the Project Management of all the Aldi stores being flitted out in Western Australia and South Australia, after that taking over the role of General Manager for the business.
I've been self employed since 1989, but as the years are passing it will get tougher.
I shouldn't, but I think although I will be very busy, after the years I have endured this would seem like the soft option.
I do know the industry inside out as I have done almost nothing else for the last 10 years.
I start on Weds 29th March, odd day to start, the Mrs has said that I can spend the time in between doing all the work around the house before I forget how to use my tools.
Bless her.

bloody hell...well done , i have a mate in Bellevue who wanted a small kitchen doing....handy for you.....!!!! sounds like you scored a decent job there .....don't be afraid to get in touch if you need and experienced off-sider.....chippy , gyprocker , tiler ....etc etc.....:thumbsup:

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
bloody hell...well done , i have a mate in Bellevue who wanted a small kitchen doing....handy for you.....!!!! sounds like you scored a decent job there .....don't be afraid to get in touch if you need and experienced off-sider.....chippy , gyprocker , tiler ....etc etc.....:thumbsup:

Will do, I will be handling all the sub contractors as well.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I am 56 years old in April and and still in good condition.
I have been subcontracting to 2 x businesses for the last 5 years.
This week one decided to call it a day and the other was sold and my contract terminated.
So here I go again, having to face the age discrimination again.
My wife says I would pass for 48 and should lie about my age and I am seriously considering this.
I never put my DOB on application forms, but once they find out the interest disappears.
I have a bit put aside, but with the kids all doing college courses etc. it won't last too long.
I will keep plugging away, but over here it is so tight for everyone to find work.
In fact I have never seen it so bad, I don't want to go on the social, dignity and all, but may have no choice.
I make a bit playing a few gigs but that is never serious coin especially shared with 5 band members.
It is quite depressing.
Any one else having to face this.
:nono:

You think that's bad ? I'm not looking for pity here, but, I'm 53, in the last 2 years I was made redundant, diagnosed with complete kidney failure, then had bowel cancer - followed by 2 major ops - I now have a bad back, a large cyst on my neck, a possible hernia, maybe 2 plus a couple of other things.

The upshot is that I need kidney dialysis 5 times a week - I do it at home, but the time it takes makes working for anyone else practically impossible. I have earned 69p in the last 2 years !

On the plus side, I have 30 years IT experience and have trained myself to design and develop websites and write Android Apps, so I am theoretically working for myself, but getting actual paid work is proving difficult (I won't put my links on here so I don't upset Bozza, unless anyone asks).

Onwards and upwards, as always, but it's not easy !

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
You think that's bad ? I'm not looking for pity here, but, I'm 53, in the last 2 years I was made redundant, diagnosed with complete kidney failure, then had bowel cancer - followed by 2 major ops - I now have a bad back, a large cyst on my neck, a possible hernia, maybe 2 plus a couple of other things.

The upshot is that I need kidney dialysis 5 times a week - I do it at home, but the time it takes makes working for anyone else practically impossible. I have earned 69p in the last 2 years !

On the plus side, I have 30 years IT experience and have trained myself to design and develop websites and write Android Apps, so I am theoretically working for myself, but getting actual paid work is proving difficult (I won't put my links on here so I don't upset Bozza, unless anyone asks).

Have nothing but admiration for your attitude.Respect!

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia

Hats off to you sir, it looks like I may have found a solution to my problem, but I wish you well with all your endeavours.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley

Bloody hell hang in there chap.

By the way i really hate cysts. I had two large ones myself. Think the one i had cut out on my ear was a Sebaceous cyst. The other one was on my cheek bone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here