Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Over 50 and trying to find work....................again !

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Out of interest... why are you not considering retirement?... 30 years in management would surely have built up a pension pot.

I was in a similar position, when I was made redundant at 53. I had enough to retire on (just) but missed going to work/Office banter etc.

It took me a couple of years to get back in to the saddle. I accepted a lowly paid Scanning job at the council but am now back in System Admin.

You don't need to volunteer too much information on your CV. If you mention you have O-Levels, a prospective employer will know that you are at least in your mid-40s.

Networking helps. If you know people at a company already, it definitely helps.

Good luck to everyone looking.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's not enough to just remove your DOB from your CV, you need to remove anything that gives any kind of clue to your age - including any jobs earlier than, say, ten years ago, even if they are wholly relevant to the job you're looking for. Then, if you get called in for interview, a prospective employer is obviously pretty interested in what you can offer them. Sure, they might then turn you down on the sly on account of your age, in which case its probably not the kind of company you'd want to work for anyway. Do a decent interview and you'll have them eating out of your hand.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
It's not enough to just remove your DOB from your CV, you need to remove anything that gives any kind of clue to your age - including any jobs earlier than, say, ten years ago, even if they are wholly relevant to the job you're looking for. Then, if you get called in for interview, a prospective employer is obviously pretty interested in what you can offer them. Sure, they might then turn you down on the sly on account of your age, in which case its probably not the kind of company you'd want to work for anyway. Do a decent interview and you'll have them eating out of your hand.

This, 100%.

When you're face to face with someone who found your CV interesting, if they like you, you're in. If you're being looked at on paper against someone who's the same level of ability, but 25 years old, you'll likely lose out every time and not even get to meet the people making decisions.

Don't lie though, that's a very bad idea

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Sorry to hear mate. Try looking at some places like manpower for the short term roles if it comes to that?

And while I wouldn't lie about your age, I just wouldn't tell them. Legally I am sure that they aren't allowed to ask? If it's not on application or CV then they will probably find out once you have started and its time to get you a birthday card. What is it that you have been doing?

Reason i ask is that places like QA appear to always have trainers that have actually done the job therefore can train with experience of the role - could be an option

Quite. No need to tell a potential employer your age. It should be all about capability to do the job. Keep going at it. Experience is key.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
yes ...i have and i am...my answer was to start my own business ...you are a cabinet maker from memory , pm me your mobile , i will get you to quote on my next job.....**** working for builders......wont pay a deposit and always want to pay you last....!!

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
55 this week; would love to get a job on land after so many years of being away. Plus, got a nipper on the way, at my age!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I feel for you as I have been very fortunate having always left 1 job to start another up until I was 68 years old.

Not everyone can work in IT though.

sllugaes

Dec 15, 2012
It happens at 46 too.

Still looking.
Keep your chin up can be tough, took me a while to find a perm role. Can be difficult with some recruiters and spending time on line applying for jobs that do not exist!! Unless you experience redundancy no really understands the difficulties of looking for another perm role.
Good luck. Sometimes that is just that a little luck.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is all very heartening. I become unemployed a week today.

Sorry to hear that, mon vieux. But I have faith in your bouncebackability. All the best as always.

theboybilly

I've just retired from the railway and as far as I'm aware Southern are always looking for customer-focused staff. Probably to late in life now for traincrew duties but you might enjoy the variety in platform/station duties. Free-travel too. Just a thought.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Hardly, they are getting rid of them all

That's what I understood as well, a big push to close the ticket offices and get everyone on the Keycard

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Condolences and wishes of good luck! All may not be lost, though -

A few weeks after my 50th. birthday I had a stroke. After a few months I returned to work, but the job was quite stressful, and some changes had been made which meant a long commute too. I took an early retirement package (yeh, sounds good, but it wasn't that great!) and signed up with temp agencies; several boring placements followed, money not great either, but it was income.
Eventually, after a year or so, one of these temp. assignments sort of morphed into a permanent job - lower pay than before (although that hadn't been great either) but it was quite relaxed, even quite enjoyable, and it took me through to my old age pension. OK, I got lucky, but my point is it need not be the end of the world. Some employers will recognise quite quickly when they have somebody well over-qualified and experienced happily doing a fairly mundane job well......and that situation can work out beneficial to both parties.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Ticket offices they may be but they will always need train dispatch staff and last time I looked at the vacancy sheet there were a fair few jobs going. I was on the Gatwick Express side and we were always having to pinch Southern staff to cover platform duties due to staff shortages.

They won't take on whilst they're restructuring the workforce

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
55 this week; would love to get a job on land after so many years of being away. Plus, got a nipper on the way, at my age!

sorry to pry but ......how old is yer bird....if she's under 35 then i take my hat off to you , if she's over 45 i would suggest you section youself now.....xx

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here