Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Our worst signing of the last decade

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You've got to distinguish between 'Worst signing' and 'Worst player', surely?

Totally different things.

Oct 25, 2003
Turienzo surely ?

Cost over 200k and despite being flair was in fact horseshit

it was £150k, and yes he has to be up there...despite being a hero of mine he was shit, AND he cost money at a time that we had absolutely none...i remember that season we were crying out for some quality in january but we didn't have a pot to piss in...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Worst signing as in biggest waste of cash I meant

it was £150k, and yes he has to be up there...despite being a hero of mine he was shit, AND he cost money at a time that we had absolutely none...i remember that season we were crying out for some quality in january but we didn't have a pot to piss in...

Taking each signing in the context of our situation at the time, I agree that Turienzo is very high up the list.

Harley too - significant fee, and high wages for 2 years, and contributing very little.

Dobbie less so, because whilst he's done little for us, we will recoup most of our money.

Others such as David Livermore, on very good money for the time, deserve a mention.

Oct 25, 2003
You've got to distinguish between 'Worst signing' and 'Worst player', surely?

Totally different things.

totally....big difference between signing some kid from non-league or abroad who turns out to be shit, and signing a player with a big reputation who turns out to be shit (or in the withdean years, actually spending money on a player who turns out to be shit)

dobbie and harley are definitely up there for me....both came with a fair bit of excitement and FANFARE but both turned out to be very disappointing, for various reasons

Oct 25, 2003
Taking each signing in the context of our situation at the time, I agree that Turienzo is very high up the list.

Harley too - significant fee, and high wages for 2 years, and contributing very little.

Dobbie less so, because whilst he's done little for us, we will recoup most of our money.

Others such as David Livermore, on very good money for the time, deserve a mention.

from memory, adams signed livermore, mcleod, virgo and hawkins in the summer (and about 70 players on loan or short term deals throughout the season) and i was excited by all 4 of them....they all turned out to be fairly disappointing

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
harsh on the two argentinians...both were free and i assume on pretty low wages...they were both pretty mediocre but they hardly broke the bank and were probably worth a gamble

Exactly. Signings like those two are not 'bad signings'. They're simply speculative punts that didn't work out. Clubs sign loads of players on short contracts, to see how they go. You have to sit through a lot of Baz, Dixon, McFaul and McGiveron types, to land the occasional Bridcutt.

Oct 25, 2003
Between the hawk and Graeme "chip me" Smith

i'd happily agree with these....hawkins was supposed to bring a wealth of experience and be a bit of a rock....he started out ok but quickly became a complete liability

smith, again, seemed to come with a decent reputation but is one of the poorest excuses for a professional goalkeeper i have ever seen

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
smith, again, seemed to come with a decent reputation but is one of the poorest excuses for a professional goalkeeper i have ever seen

Only 'One of the poorest'? f***ing hell you've been unlucky!

I'm convinced he wasn't made of solid matter.

Oct 25, 2003
Only 'One of the poorest'? f***ing hell you've been unlucky!

I'm convinced he wasn't made of solid matter.

thinking about it I can't actually think of anyone worse

At times we would've genuinely been better off with a cardboard cut-out in goal....it wasn't that he made any particular HOWLERS, more that he never really saved anything...perhaps he really wasn't a solid being

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Dobbie has got to be up there high on the list

Absolute ridiculous.

Hardly been given a chance at all then be shoved straight out on loan.

Players like Battipiedi on the other hand..

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I was going to - but he was on loan wasn't he - so no big spend.

If he was on a goal bonus then he was very cheap.

The OP asked who "our worst signing of the last decade" was - that can include loan "signings", shirley?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here