Jul 24, 2003
Southwick
Wood closley followed by Hinslewood

(was)DBS

Jul 24, 2003
Southwick
Re: Re: Re: Our Worst Ever Manager

brightonfan_86 said:
I am not on anythink Barry lloyd was dreadful. Hinshelwood was shit and Woods was terrible. I even celebrated when Barry lloyd left the club.

Barry was not the most popular manager but, looking back he was not all that bad, and he did take us to Wembley.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
Hinselwood , enough said ....

Seagullible

Super Keeper
Jul 7, 2003
Tea room, The Office, Slough
Re: Re: Re: Re: Our Worst Ever Manager

DBS said:
Barry was not the most popular manager but, looking back he was not all that bad, and he did take us to Wembley.

exactly, he brought in some great players (we'll forget Farrington!) and got us so close to top flight. Case is another example of a poor manager but Wood definately gets the wooden spoon if you parden the pun

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Wood was a shocking appointment.

Lloyd kept us afloat for a long time, hes far from our worse.

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
brightonfan_86 said:
Who was our worst ever manager? I am going for Barry Lloyd.

Yeah being one game away from the premiership was terrible.

You have a short memory if you have forgotten the woeful games under Hinshelwood and his blooding of players not up to it. He is the reason why we had to return to this league. DK should have not gone for the poundstretcher option and plumped for Coppell in the first place. We would have also picked up the ex Brentford players that are now playing in clubs above us in this league at next to no money.:angry:

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Hinshelwood was indeed a truely cack manager, his only redemption is that together with Wendy he is responsible for bringing through a quality batch of young players.

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
80's Seagull said:
Hinshelwood was indeed a truely cack manager, his only redemption is that together with Wendy he is responsible for bringing through a quality batch of young players.

IMHO Hinsh takes too much credit for Wendy's hard work. When Adams moved on did he try to get Hinsh? That says enough to me. If Hinsh was such a good judge of player etc why did he play so many kids out of their depth. What players has Hinsh brought in as Director of Football?

He is a freeloader that should be cut a drift to save some cash. I have no time for DK 's corner shop sentimentakity. Solicitors fee or another player versus Hinsh's salary...... mmmmmm.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I never like Barry Lloyd and was happy when he left, but to say he was our worst is wrong. He signed some shite Tiltman, Briley, Jasper, Farrington etc, however he also got some gems including Byrne, Small, Chivers, Wilkins, Codner (when he could be arsed), Beeney and the Genius. Towards the end he was doing 2 jobs which did not help and he never seemed to get on with the fans.

I have to say Wood was a disaster, but he was appointed having won 2 games on the trot and people were chanting on the Rainham End to get the job. He was kind of the classic good coach, but not manager material. Hinshlewood, well weird, his record as caretaker manager is very good, in 3 spells he never lost a game, but as manager a disaster, tried to blood players that were not ready and did not seem to have the respect of a lot of them.

But to me, Case was the worst. For all his experience within the game he seemed clueless and spent money on players that did not perform. I know there was a lot going on at the time that was distracting, but the players he had should not have been stuck to the bottom and he seemed unable to motivate them. Gritt used exactly the same bunch and somehow got us out of trouble. He picked them up and had some vague tactical idea, Case did not. Coupled with the fact Case seemed to turn to the bottle when the pressure was on, he goes down as my worst manager at the Albion. I try to remember him as the player and not the manager.

Croydonbloke

Palace in Sussex
Sep 1, 2004
West Sussex
Re: Re: Re: Our Worst Ever Manager

brightonfan_86 said:
I am not on anythink Barry lloyd was dreadful. Hinshelwood was shit and Woods was terrible. I even celebrated when Barry lloyd left the club.
Harold lloyd was required at that time. He could have pulled a stunt or two.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I also hated Barry LLoyd with a passion at the time.

It is very difficult to say who our "worst " manager was as a lot of it would depend on circumstances.

Liam Brady had a shocking time as did Jimmy Case, but we all know what was going on behind the scenes.

Jeff Wood was employed on sentiment and unfortunately didn't cut it, but again he had crap all to work with. Brian Horton I also put in the same category as well as Hinch.

Jimmy Melia got bugger all out of the players who were concentrating on the FA Cup! His record is not that spectacular.

Chris Cattlin and Mike Bailey were good managers but not around long enough to make much difference.

Ex Shelton Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Block G, Row F, Seat 175
Barry Lloyd would never win a popularity contest. His scowling face peering out of the dug-out whilst smoking a fag was not an easy one to like. I don't think he was ever liked whilst he was manager, not even during 87/88 or 90/91.

He was given a shitty job when he took over from Mullery. He was ordered by the board to get shot of the high earners at the club, who were mostly our best players. Now my memory of that time is hazy 'cos I was only a kid at the time but I can still remember the depression that was present at the Goldstone at that time. Several members of my family pretty much gave up on the Albion, even my Dad was disillusioned with the whole set-up. My Uncle knew that Bryan Bedson wasn't the slightest bit interested in the Albion and gave up attending games.

As a result of this, Lloyd was associated with depression, relegation and the release of several good players. He sold Dean Saunders (seemed to like Tiltman anyway) but the board were the ones who failed to add any sell-on clauses. When we were relegated to Div 3 a lot people expected us to fall straight through to Div 4 like Wolves and Swansea.

Instead Lloyd constructed a new side with Bremner and Nelson as a goal scoring strike partnership. We finished 2nd after an amazing undefeated run-in and thus finished ahead of good sides like Bristol City, Notts County, Bristol Rovers and Port Vale. Nobody had expected that promotion before the seasons start.

Once back in Div 2 he managed to keep us in that division for the next 4 seasons while having precious little to spend on players. He brought in the likes of John Keeley, Mike Small, John Byrne Mark Beeney, Mark Gall, Mark Barham, Sergei Gotsmanov and Nicky Bissett and managed to sell most of them on for a large profit. Greg Stanley said when appointed Lloyd to the board that if it hadn't been for the profits he got from his transfers we would have gone under.

It was when he started to get involved at board level that things really went bad. He made really bad purchases (Farrington, Meade, Kennedy) and the team went to pieces after one sale too many. Relegated in 92 we looked alright in 92/93, he got Kurt Nogan from Luton's reserve team and made good loans like Moulden and Cotterill, but were inconsistent.

When the shit hit the fan financially in 93 he had to pretty much abandon managing the team and had to work on the "rescue" package that we eventually got. We were pretty much half an hour from going bust in the high court. As a result the team disintegrated and the first half of 93/94 was one of the worst this club has had which pretty much ruined all the good work that Lloyd had done previously.

It's not easy for me to defend him. I never like him as a kid, and when he froze out Nelson I loathed him. With time though i've begun to realise that whilst he got off to a bad start and had an awful ending, the bits in between weren't bad at all.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Jimmy Case - Signed Jason Peake for 120K and was also responsible for getting Ashley Neale in on loan.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
nwgull said:
Jimmy Case - Signed Jason Peake for 120K and was also responsible for getting Ashley Neale in on loan.

I do think Peake was awful, but people forget was, as part of the deal to bring him here, we were meant to pay for his relocation and then Belloti refused to do this. It meant he was often training with Leicester and travelling down here for games. It was hardly ideal for him and in retrospect, this must have contributed to his poor season at the Albion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here