Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Our Players Diving !

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
If a player rolls around after not being fouled, I think it's embarrassing.

I don't think Facu is particularly guilty of this.
He does like a roll around after a foul though, as does Enciso, and most of our younger players.
Often the foul isn't given as it's seen as the opponent being "too strong" for him.

As long as it's calling the ref's attention to a genuine infringement I have no issue with it.
Grealish, and Zaha built careers around it.
Spot on. Find me an instance of Facu being completely missed and rolling around like he's been shot.

Football is a high intensity game at the top level and as you say, baiting and winning the foul is part of being a tricky winger/forward. The ability to do that is sought after by the elite clubs. You don't win dangerous free kicks if you stay on your feet when you're fouled - we all know that.

I've always thought the best antidote to players going down to easily is to encourage cleaner, better timed defending. McAtee aside, it's very rare that a player goes down and stays down if the ball is clearly won cleanly.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Football is a high intensity game at the top level and as you say, baiting and winning the foul is part of being a tricky winger/forward. The ability to do that is sought after by the elite clubs. You don't win dangerous free kicks if you stay on your feet when you're fouled - we all know that.

That's what Zaha/Grealish and company have done well over the years.

Buonanotte doesn't just win fouls. He acts like he's broken his leg at least once per game. He should stop it.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I am not convinced Facundo is a diver. What he definitely is is someone who exaggerates the pain. It absolutely does my head in. It is embarrassing. He keeps getting fouled but each time he pretends he is broken. That said, totti did same thing 3 times yesterday without getting fouled. Enciso was hacked down badly and started to pretend he was hurt - not a dive though. The two of them are clearly targeted for the rough treatment. The inconsistency in yellow cards is annoying.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
RDZ neither!
Would love to share your optimism on that. Unfortunately, even if this season somehow peters out his stock is still high after last seasons achievements plus the word is out about our style of football and his passion.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
That's what Zaha/Grealish and company have done well over the years.

Buonanotte doesn't just win fouls. He acts like he's broken his leg at least once per game. He should stop it.
But that's what everyone said about Grealish when he was at Villa. It's an absolute positive for the Albion that he's winning free-kicks, and creating dangerous scoring positions.

For comparison, Saka gets fouled 2.07 times per 90 in the PL. Facundo is fouled 3.06 times per 90 in the PL.

A quick scan of the stats and it seems that he is likely the fourth most fouled player per 90 in the PL behind Bruno Guimaraes, Jordan Ayew and Emerson Royal.

Maybe he's just getting kicked about because he's a tricky skinny 19 year old winger with a lot of talent on the ball.

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023
I am not convinced Facundo is a diver. What he definitely is is someone who exaggerates the pain. It absolutely does my head in. It is embarrassing. He keeps getting fouled but each time he pretends he is broken. That said, totti did same thing 3 times yesterday without getting fouled. Enciso was hacked down badly and started to pretend he was hurt - not a dive though. The two of them are clearly targeted for the rough treatment. The inconsistency in yellow cards is annoying.
“Started to pretend he was hurt”, that says it all. It’s painful to watch.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
They must have a clamp down on it. It is a bookable offence ffs. Book em.

CAUTIONS FOR UNSPORTING BEHAVIOUR

There are different circumstances when a player must be cautioned for unsporting behaviour including if a player:
  • attempts to deceive the referee e.g. by feigning injury or pretending to have been fouled (simulation)

Not always easy to prove but that blades player was a classic example of where it MUST be a yellow.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If anything he needs to get better at it to win the free kicks

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023
You'll be missing out, BIG TIME. Shame for you. Do you not think its part of the pantomime though, every team does it, doesn't bother me that much.
No, I hate it. I’m from an era that if you dived in a youth match you’d be laughed and sneered at and from a time no one dived (in the main) and we were proud of that. It was “foreigners” that did it.

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023
You'll be missing out, BIG TIME. Shame for you. Do you not think its part of the pantomime though, every team does it, doesn't bother me that much.
It’s the “BIG TIME” that makes me want to retract my previous statement, but being stubborn as I am I can’t be near you 😔

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023
If anything he needs to get better at it to win the free kicks
“Win free kicks”. I hate that term. To win something should be to have a feeling of pride, “I won the bingo, I won a fluffy toy on a tombola”, I can’t feel pride in winning a free kick.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
“Win free kicks”. I hate that term. To win something should be to have a feeling of pride, “I won the bingo, I won a fluffy toy on a tombola”, I can’t feel pride in winning a free kick.
Part of football is winning free-kicks. That's extremely different to diving.

The thing I don't understand, is that when somebody actually gets properly injured, the last thing they would do is roll around on the floor. If you get really hurt then you just lay still, because rolling around would hurt. Yet refs continuously fall for it.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
We have more to worry about than players diving now and again. FB gets the shit kicked out of him most games can’t blame him now and again.

Reactions: cjd

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here