Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... ๐Ÿ˜Š

[Albion] Our Players Diving !

I don't know about the diving but Facundo is too lightweight in the challenge at the moment. Until he learns to ride contact better, it will stop him becoming a really top player

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
FB has 5/6 bookings which is mad for that type of player. Very annoying for spectators to see a player play dead and than jump up when ref has taken no notice.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
If a player rolls around after not being fouled, I think it's embarrassing.

I don't think Facu is particularly guilty of this.
He does like a roll around after a foul though, as does Enciso, and most of our younger players.
Often the foul isn't given as it's seen as the opponent being "too strong" for him.

As long as it's calling the ref's attention to a genuine infringement I have no issue with it.
Grealish, and Zaha built careers around it.
Grealish has built his career out of running into people and falling over.
And then a load of twats say "oh but he's the most fouled player in the league"
It's bullshit, if he were that good he'd actually get past people to create something rather than falling over.
Saying "oh they're not diving, they're drawing attention to the foul" is just the crap people come up with to excuse a player they happen to like from diving.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Is it really that big a deal?

And if we're happy to watch these talented South American players week in week out then you will have to accept it as it is very much part of the culture they grow up in. And to be honest is now embedded in youth football in this country.
Sorry, but yes it is.

Just play the game, that goes for every team.

I like watching the foreign players from the moment Ardiles, Villa, Muhren and Thijssen came to the country, they and many others since have brought the standard up and given us great moments of individual skill.

The one thing I hate however, is the rolling around and diving, the British players picked it up and have also been doing it for 30 odd yearsโ€ฆ. (Of course it went on before in the 70s, the late Franny Lee for example)โ€ฆ.

But for fecks sake stand up!

5Ways Gull

รˆ quello che รจ
Feb 2, 2009
Fiveways, Brighton
I know 2 wrongs don't make a right, but I can't get upset about our players doing it if other teams get away with it. At the end of the day it's an easy problem to fix. Players that openly do it get a 1/2 match ban. Refs given instruction to ensure players that make an effort to stay on their feet are still awarded fouls. If one of our players is the first I would support that.

A good starting point would be Fernandes' antics at the weekend.

Also think managers who support players that do it should get fines, touchline bans and have their U-boat captain polo necks confiscated.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
FB uses every thing he has in his locker to make the marginal gains necessary in the premier league.

If heplayed the way some posters are suggesting, all the time he'd been here, he would have quickly been bullied out of the game.
Defenders would target him for even heavier challenges, because they could get away with it.
The same fans would then have written him off as "too lightweight" or "League 1 at best"

A big part of Murray's game in the Prem, was to wait for contact and fall over, to get us up the pitch.
Most people accepted this as part of the game and "being clever" or "using the dark arts".

In reality it was conning the ref.
It's the same thing.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
FB uses every thing he has in his locker to make the marginal gains necessary in the premier league.

If heplayed the way some posters are suggesting, all the time he'd been here, he would have quickly been bullied out of the game.
Defenders would target him for even heavier challenges, because they could get away with it.
The same fans would then have written him off as "too lightweight" or "League 1 at best"

A big part of Murray's game in the Prem, was to wait for contact and fall over, to get us up the pitch.
Most people accepted this as part of the game and "being clever" or "using the dark arts".

In reality it was conning the ref.
It's the same thing.
I wouldn't even say it's conning the ref. It's conning the defender.

You lay a trap to be fouled and the James Tarkowskis of this world will wander straight into it every time. It leaves the ref with very little space to do anything but give fouls because the laws specifically say that if you get tripped, it is a direct free kick. Now some people on this thread may want to see the game return to a point where this law was not followed as strictly as it is today but I don't want to see a point where you can lump players like Facu and get away with it - that's anti-football.

Murray was a king at this, Harry Kane is still brilliant at drawing the foul, as is the previously mentioned Grealish and Saka. Facu's stats imply he is up there with them already. Defenders will eventually get wise to this, and stop making attempts to trip, tackle and foul Facu and in theory this should result in him having more time and space on the ball.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I wouldn't even say it's conning the ref. It's conning the defender.

You lay a trap to be fouled and the James Tarkowskis of this world will wander straight into it every time. It leaves the ref with very little space to do anything but give fouls because the laws specifically say that if you get tripped, it is a direct free kick. Now some people on this thread may want to see the game return to a point where this law was not followed as strictly as it is today but I don't want to see a point where you can lump players like Facu and get away with it - that's anti-football.

Murray was a king at this, Harry Kane is still brilliant at drawing the foul, as is the previously mentioned Grealish and Saka. Facu's stats imply he is up there with them already. Defenders will eventually get wise to this, and stop making attempts to trip, tackle and foul Facu and in theory this should result in him having more time and space on the ball.
This is correct. And where Facundo comes from, they are taught how to do this at a young age. It's absolutely conning the defender rather than the ref. It's one of the reasons why we've been so far behind in international football for so long, because English players aren't taught this at a young age. People can say it is cheating or that they don't like it, but skilful South American players would say, for example, they don't like English defenders 'letting them know they are there' early on by smashing them in the first few minutes and would see that as cheating. It's all about perception and the way you were taught.

One thing that does annoy me though, is how often defenders now use this 'drawing the foul' tactic. They get themselves in between the attacker and the ball, and as soon as they get the touch they go down, and there is no ref in the league brave enough to wave the attacker clean through in the box on.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
This is correct. And where Facundo comes from, they are taught how to do this at a young age. It's absolutely conning the defender rather than the ref. It's one of the reasons why we've been so far behind in international football for so long, because English players aren't taught this at a young age. People can say it is cheating or that they don't like it, but skilful South American players would say, for example, they don't like English defenders 'letting them know they are there' early on by smashing them in the first few minutes and would see that as cheating. It's all about perception and the way you were taught.

One thing that does annoy me though, is how often defenders now use this 'drawing the foul' tactic. They get themselves in between the attacker and the ball, and as soon as they get the touch they go down, and there is no ref in the league brave enough to wave the attacker clean through in the box on.
Surely it's either a valid tactic or it's not, regardless of what position the player who does it is in?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Veltman.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here