Our penalty

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Did anyone think after...

i) the ref giving cpfc everything
ii) his long deliberate pause after the challenge
iii) Will Buckley sort of looking for

...that he was not going to give it and, possibly, book Buckley for diving?

thought the ref gave them everything this evening - didnt think theirs was a pen or ours - not sure but i thought the lino gave our pen??

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Should players be saying this?
5284f8d9-8657-dfe5.jpg

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Ref wasnt going to give it, He walked over towards linesman. Was contact, Buckley was causing Parr problems all night, he was probably the only one asking questions. First half chances came from Buckley too

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Well I thought it was a foul on Buckley and the Lino couldn't have had a better view.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Both penalties were dreadful decisions
The first decision was 100% wrong. The second was more 50/50. Buckley was pushed a bit (which on its own wouldn't mean a lot), but I think his left calf was caught too. May have actually been the correct decision. But Zaha dived without contact.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
i was right in front of were zahas pen was given and i promise when you see it you will know it was a stonewall zaha put the ball past him and had his leg cut definate pen
100% wrong.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Ref wasnt going to give it, He walked over towards linesman. Was contact, Buckley was causing Parr problems all night, he was probably the only one asking questions. First half chances came from Buckley too

On the radio it sounded like the referee was having a good game until the linesman intervened. Then when badgered by players he did not have the authority and then the bookings started.

But the players might have known this. I knew what he was like by reputation. .

Graham Poll: My assessment of Stuart Attwell in West Bromwich v Blackpool | Mail Online

Personality
Attwell's main area for development. He can appear to be dismissive when pressurised by players and that makes him appear arrogant, which must be addressed. Relationships with players are important and he needs work to ensure improvement, although I accept they don't make it easy. 6/10

Read more: Graham Poll: My assessment of Stuart Attwell in West Bromwich v Blackpool | Mail Online

Last edited:

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Watched both incidents on ssn, both were incredibly soft - neither should have been given imho

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Can't comment on theirs as the view wasn't great.

Ours was NEVER a pen, and it was clearly the lino's decision to give it.

Ref was poor all night - he went to book Jedinak near the end, reached for his pocket and then realised he had already booked him, so bottled it.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Both penalties were penalties that you're very disappointed to have given against you.

Attacking players just waiting for a challenge they can then milk to the full. As I say, I was amazed ours was given - that it was actually the lino says it all.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'll make sure when i see the footage i post a link and we shall see who is wrong.
Read my posts in this thread, I thought Zaha's penalty was a correct decision (although I was miles away). I also thought he was one of the best players on the pitch. But seriously, when it was on SSN, I watched it 10 times, and there was no contact. He even threw the wrong leg (he threw his trailing leg, while it was his leading leg that was nearly touched). I'm not sure ours should have been a pen either, Will certainly wasn't completely taken out, but he was pushed (hand not shoulder) and there may have been contact on his left calf which would have been enough for a pen, but I can't be sure.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As I say, I was amazed ours was given - that it was actually the lino says it all.
Amazed because the ref was against us all night, or amazed because it was wrong?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Amazed because the ref was against us all night, or amazed because it was wrong?

I was amazed ours was given because I didn't think the ref would give us anything at all.

To find out, later on, that it was the lino compounds my view of the ref.

(That said, the BBC show a tally of 17 fouls by us and 14 by them, and I'd have expected the ratio to be at least 2:1 as my memory was that any contact at all resulted in a free-kick to Palace)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I was amazed ours was given because I didn't think the ref would give us anything at all.

To find out, later on, that it was the lino compounds my view of the ref.
That's exactly how I felt. Ref's normally point at the spot with SS authority, but he held out a limp arm in an apologetic manner and it took a while before I was sure it was a pen. When my mate said the lino had given it everything made sense. The ref just seemed so against us it was impossible to get going.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I guess the question becomes did that lino really think it was a penalty, or did he think atwell was screwing up and tried to even things up himself?

Paul Skinback

Oct 3, 2009
indeed - seemed on the commentary that the ref would not have given it but the lino did (and was wrong to by all accounts just as he was wrong to give a pen for Zaha's dive)
Oh dear. Watch it on TV, whoever kicked Zaha actually kicked both of his shins. Ref was standing lss than 10 yards away for both pens, he decided ours was, the lino decided yours was.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here