Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Our passing today

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
I don’t know why I’m replying. Clearly beyond you to comprehend that scoring goals could be part of a survival plan too. You believe that to attack and perhaps shoot and score more than once every 500mins of football is to play like kamikazes! And that it means opening the flood gates to concede a hatful in every game. What a load of bollocks! It seems I merely have higher standards and belief in the team than your negative, content with accountants, dullsville football. I bet you also shop for clothes at garden centres too, eh Derek? A nice grey or beige jumper caught your eye in the Sales? [emoji38]ol:
Your posts that seek to wind up fellow Albion fans are really unpleasant.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Propps, Stephs and Gross might be a tad frustrated at the stagnation of the lads in front of them, AK and March in particular.

There was one point today towards the end when Propper (I think) was bringing the ball forward and every single forward player just stood still, no runs and nobody showing for the ball at all. I’m all for giving the players that got us promoted a chance in the Premier League but it seems a step too far for some of them.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Doing it the hughton way , he did it at Norwich , it’s a complete borefest zzzz
But another point I suppose but it’s getting really really turdidge and I feel sorry for the amount of money people spend to watch our team play away or is play the correct word . Did the travelling fans get a free drink and pie today?

Got my voucher but couldn’t use it to have a Bovril with my pie - apparently Bovril’s not a soft drink :(

Still at least there was a lift instead of climbing 14 flights of stairs

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
agree with that - there wasn’t enough penetration to get forward. But the quality of pass and control was brilliant to see. So many excellent moves in triangles - just not far enough up the pitch. Good point, stay positive :thumbsup:

Way too much negativity on here. We’ve just got to st james’ park and got a point against newcastle bloody united! If that was last season we’d have been over the moon! People need to appreciate where we are - it’s a long game if we’re going to build a squad to really compete in this league!!!!!
or not.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Absolutely brilliant once touch passing at times today. Certainly something we’ve improved in this season. The only negative to that is we don’t do enough of it in the final third. Certainly picked up more second balls than them which was excellent to see and Stephens & Proper really did play well.

Keep the faith and keep that points tally ticking along...:bhasign:

I thought the same. Missing something in the final third, but otherwise our passing was incredible. Up there with the best in the league when it comes to keep ball.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Got my voucher but couldn’t use it to have a Bovril with my pie - apparently Bovril’s not a soft drink :(

Still at least there was a lift instead of climbing 14 flights of stairs

My pie was okay - peppered steak. But a bit small.

As for the football. I think that the team as a whole have lost confidence that they're going to score - which results in them not going for goal in the first place. After all, if you were a midfielder and you think 'I could put this through, but we'll only miss' wouldn't you be tempted to simply pass it backwards to keep possession? I also got the feeling that some of the players were caught between two stools at times late on. There were at least three instances where one of them (Bong notably) looked as though they wanted to pass / take it forward, but then their instructions entered their head and they thought 'no, better play safe' and just simply ended up not being decisive one way or the other and losing it, passing it out, or passing it to Newcastle.

To me, March began to grow in confidence in the second half a bit. He at last took a few players on again, but his crossing was dire (and there was no-one there anyway).

Talking to some Geordies on the train home, one of them said that they were obviously second best, but that it didn't feel like a 'good point'. They were pretty annoyed that they hadn't gone for it in the last 10 minutes when we were so obviously just sitting back. They also felt that they were going down, and that we weren't.

Although we may have technically had similar shots and on target shots - they looked more likely to score. I don't know why Shelvey wasn't on from the start - we seemed terrified of him.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
I was talking to a Toon fan waiting to clap CH off our coach when we arrived - turns out we both live close to each other near Derby and both have ST's at our home town teams 180 miles or so north or south of where we live

Point he was making was PL is lot less entertaining than Championship and gulf re top six massive and once you lose a few games then focus changes to stop losing and defending - PL is to some extent a triumph of hype over reality

Is 14 teams desperate not to go down and the dogfight this produces does not get many teams having a "must win" attitude until last few games when can be a bit too late

Question is does it matter if diehard fans get fed up with this and watch their local non league team - as will be endless foreign tourists from Japan, China and US desperate to pay stupid money to watch PL games on trips to the UK - and so the cycle will go on

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Back to focus of thread - thought our passing was excellent for long passages of play in both halves - just no end product on the end of it

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Your posts that seek to wind up fellow Albion fans are really unpleasant.

Your interpretation as such is weird. And wrong. But apart from that...

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Then use the ignore button - it’s there for those who can’t handle it / construct a strong argument in reply. Like, er, YOU!:drink::cool:

If its just about entertainment then there would be no promotion or relegation and draws would be decided by a public vote based on entertainment value.
However its based on results but clearly this is an alien concept to some

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
We need a minimum of 40 points to survive, which is the aim for this season. If we don't set out to win some games we will not achieve that target. Losing 2-0 instead of 5-0 is all well and good, for goal difference at least, but it's still nil points. Playing for a draw in games we could win is not progress enough.
I agree with this. Should have made two subs and gone for the jugular in a clearly winable game. Nope....we will continue to rest them for bmuff. Lets hope that doesnt backfire and we fing ourselves 2 down and out the game in the first 20mins.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Jack Daniels

Aug 25, 2011
Buggers Hole
Propps, Stephs and Gross might be a tad frustrated at the stagnation of the lads in front of them, AK and March in particular.
How would stephens know whats going on in front of him? He gets the ball, turns, and plays it to duffy, who plays it to dunk, who plays it to bong, who plays it to march, who plays it to propper, who then a) trys to set AK or bruno away b) plays it gross. Seen it so many times now.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
If its just about entertainment then there would be no promotion or relegation and draws would be decided by a public vote based on entertainment value.
However its based on results but clearly this is an alien concept to some

That’s just rubbish! I can’t believe you believe that either. Let’s get some sleep.

Aveacarlin'

Jul 5, 2011
Will we be seeing a 4-4-2 on NYD? If not I'll **** it off and watch it down the boozer.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Absolutely brilliant once touch passing at times today. Certainly something we’ve improved in this season. The only negative to that is we don’t do enough of it in the final third. Certainly picked up more second balls than them which was excellent to see and Stephens & Proper really did play well.

Keep the faith and keep that points tally ticking along...:bhasign:

yep ...i was really impressed with the way we zipped the ball around but we really need to become more attack minded , anyone would think that the opposition goalie had a rampant case of embolus going on yesterday......the scottish commentator on the box , not sure if it was andy gray or not but he was bemoaning the constant sideways and backward passing of both teams .....perhaps at the end of the day we weren't as much of a push over that they were expecting , having said that Matty Ryan definitely kept us in it with some great keeping

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
I get we want goals, we all do but for me its all about remaining in the game and survival 1st. Its still finely balanced as only 4 points above the dropzone. But 12th at the end of December is great. The only 2 teams we have played twice we have taken 4 points from. Am sure Watford and Newcastle are more disappointed than us with that. Yes the cream topping would be a few more goals but I enjoyed the game today and thought we looked the better team. We are still a work in progress and am sure if we stay up for a few seasons we will play with more freedom but we need to grow and we are doing that just fine.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Same old same old. It’s supposed to be entertainment featuring GOALS and yet we don’t even shoot let alone witness GOALS. Spare me the long term bolllcks, that doesn’t exist in football. It’s now or tomorrow. We need to score GOALS to stop ourselves dying from boredom let alone stay up. We’re just so incredibly DULL. And I for one am not going to sit back all content because we simply prevented another team from scoring. GOALS. I want to see some ****ing GOALS from my team. Yet not one player, let alone two or three, in a professional squad of ‘elite’ players can do this. It’s nothing short of embarrassing. And boring as hell to watch. No other team is as predictable as us. If you’re a gambler (I’m not) the you should be living in a Manor House by now it’s so easy. You need shooting if you’ve not cleaned up recently. Get all your money and stick it on Brighton & Nil Albion.

Mike Bailey anyone?!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here