Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Other teams Transfer Business

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
I thought their chairman wanted to emulate our more sustainable less fool hardy approach to the PL?

100k wages as a newly promoted club, smashing your existing high earner's stricture by 150% is not something we would do and thankfully so.

I hope they have a relegation clause.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
If you strip out broadcast revenue, they are roughly £12m ahead. You'd expect both commercial numbers to be increasing, but Leeds very likely to increase at a greater rate than ours. They are clearly a bigger commercial draw and won't give a shit about getting into bed with retail gambling outfits, etc. But, the delta is really not that significant, given broadcast is over £100m. God knows what they'll be paying Rodrigo, who must be on close to £100k pw at Valencia. You'd think they'd be insane to pay him anywhere near that, but their wage inflation might get out of control if they start down that road. Ours is bad enough - largely due to having 16,000 players.

Leeds
£18m Matchday
£21m Commercial

Brighton
£18.5m Matchday
£8.8m Commercial

Very good point. Highlights the fact we need to trim down our squad a bit. Rodrigo will be on considerably more than the rest of their squad, I'd still argue they need atleast 3 more in to have a great chance of comfortably staying up. Manager only does one year contract at a time. Signing a player who has been rapidly declining over the past 2 seasons who's approaching the end of his prime for £30m if they are trying to go down the same route as us which is what they said they wanted to do then they're already taking risks we wouldn't there doesn't seem to be much of a long term approach.

Long way to go in this window but I expect them to spend 80-90m I expect us to let go of 4 or 5 and bring 1 or 2 more in don't think our net spend will be much at all and we should have a team worthy of a mid table to top half finish. Leeds squad even with Rodrigo still screams bottom 4 to me.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I'm by no means Mr p***sheets, but this is the horrible bit isn't it. We've done quite a bit of our business and now we're seeing our rivals do theirs. Not deriving huge enjoyment from the sports news at the moment

Talk of Everton buying James Rodriguez. Crikey

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Well one things for sure, we are definitely being linked with a fair number of strikers this window. More than previous years.

So would assume the club are actively trying.

It may well go to deadline day. Let’s see.

'Linked' yes but any deal or deals that likely. Even Naylor and Owen haven't said much of late. I pretty much ignore the paper talk and specualtion which in our case is often just complete guess work.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
He doesn’t play upfront, same as trossard position. So trossard is shithouse too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the majority of his time at Valencia he did play up front though.. The season they won the Copa Del Rey which was probably his best season he played in a two up top with Gameiro. Only really this season and when he first joined he's been utilised behind the striker from what I've seen.

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Very good point. Highlights the fact we need to trim down our squad a bit. Rodrigo will be on considerably more than the rest of their squad, I'd still argue they need atleast 3 more in to have a great chance of comfortably staying up. Manager only does one year contract at a time. Signing a player who has been rapidly declining over the past 2 seasons who's approaching the end of his prime for £30m if they are trying to go down the same route as us which is what they said they wanted to do then they're already taking risks we wouldn't there doesn't seem to be much of a long term approach.

Long way to go in this window but I expect them to spend 80-90m I expect us to let go of 4 or 5 and bring 1 or 2 more in don't think our net spend will be much at all and we should have a team worthy of a mid table to top half finish. Leeds squad even with Rodrigo still screams bottom 4 to me.

I'm not so sure. I genuinely don't know how their current team will fare in the PL, I would expect them to be utterly undone, and start to lose cohesion and togetherness quickly. Sadly, probably no fans to turn on them after a bad patch. However, it may just be that Bielsa is the comparative genius everyone claims him to be. I think their real risk is in injuries - they don't appear to have any decent backups. Their fans will say "use the U23's as backup", and they have done well in the development league they're in, but I don't think that's much of an indication of how they'd hack it in the PL!

I'm quite looking forward to finding out to be honest. Could do without all the Leeds knobbers being quite so ridiculous. You'd expect them to be a little more grounded, a little more down to Earth.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
Agree, and I’m not just saying this Leeds lurkers, but I genuinely don’t see the appeal of this signing.

Past his best striker, no Prem experience. No other clubs after him, poor record.

He reminds me of the Spanish lad Spurs got many years ago who couldn’t score. Trivia question there if anyone can remember (not Llorente).

Something like Postiga I think. Could not score for Spurs but then scored against England when playing for Portugal.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Don't think I've ever seen a newly promoted squad put under so much pressure by the fan base. The majority think they will be mid table, some think top 6 a few believe staying up is the goal and absolutely none of them can comprehend the very real possibility they could get relegated. When we first came up I like to think nobody got carried away.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
'Linked' yes but any deal or deals that likely. Even Naylor and Owen haven't said much of late. I pretty much ignore the paper talk and specualtion which in our case is often just complete guess work.

Quiet is good.

Both Naylor and Owen have confirmed our interest in Nunez for example yet not constantly being referenced.

Sounds like how we do business now and I’m hopeful he is one we will get over the line along with a new LB

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Agree, and I’m not just saying this Leeds lurkers, but I genuinely don’t see the appeal of this signing.

Past his best striker, no Prem experience. No other clubs after him, poor record.

He reminds me of the Spanish lad Spurs got many years ago who couldn’t score. Trivia question there if anyone can remember (not Llorente).

You're talking about Soldado. They're very different players.

From the way you're talking about Rodrigo you clearly haven't watched him play a lot and are letting your anti Leeds agenda get the better of you. Rodrigo is an excellent signing for them no doubt. I would be absolutely delighted if we were to get him.

And you're also wrong about no premier league experience, he played for Bolton in the Premier league 10 years ago.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020

Soldado? One of the ways they spent the Bale money, he flopped bad and was arguably better than Rodrigo in Spain

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Quality signing for them. He was due to leave last summer but a move to Milan fell through which affected him early on and Valencia have been a basket case for most of the season. Significant upgrade on Bamford but similar in terms of style (except he can finish)

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Quality signing for them. He was due to leave last summer but a move to Milan fell through which affected him early on and Valencia have been a basket case for most of the season. Significant upgrade on Bamford but similar in terms of style (except he can finish)

According to his stats, not very often

Looking at Twitter Leeds fans think they're getting a number 9 but appears he's a winger , if he is an out and out CF then his stats are shit for £27 mill plus add ons

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

Understand he's been signed to play alongside Pat Bamford, not instead of.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland

Looking at Twitter Leeds fans think they're getting a number 9 but appears he's a winger , if he is an out and out CF then his stats are shit for £27 mill plus add ons
He's more of a left winger than a true striker.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Personal opinion. Might not be popular. There are 18 other rival clubs we can be talking about. Obsessing over one isn't healthy

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

On watching his ‘All The Goals’ showreel, the majority of his goals are tap-ins finishing off great Valencia moves. If they are looking for a Striker with the finishing versatility of Maupay (all angles, multiple distances, head, left foot, right foot etc) they should look elsewhere.

https://youtu.be/UEKsB5kv7K4

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Scored 4 goals last season?

I wouldn’t be happy with that

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here