Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT: trojan attack help needed!!

H2O

Jul 27, 2004
Hove
Hi one for the techies here the home computer has been attacked by a trojan any ideas what I can install/run to get rid of it

cheers in advance

H2O

Jul 27, 2004
Hove
yes McAfee came free for a year with the Sky upgrade

H2O

Jul 27, 2004
Hove
im glad you said AVG as i have that on my laptop and never has a problem the damn xp autivirus 2012 firewall alert is now blocking me from using internet explorer!

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Download and install AVG on your Desktop. It should ask you some questions in the set up and would probably turn off the windows xp firewall to stop them clashing. Then remove mcAfee :thumbsup:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
AVG, Avast, Avira and the Microsoft Security Essentials are all free and a whole lot better than McAfee. A lot of firms give McAfee away, Dell and BT amongst others but it is useless, I speak froma lot of experience and I find it staggering that so many corporate users still use it.

H2O

Jul 27, 2004
Hove
i dont think its letting me install AVG properly every time i try to run it nothing happens and its blocking me from using firefox I can only access internet explorer!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Buy a Mac and then install Mackeeper. Costs £20 pa and is very good.

TNBA

TTF

Apple have been attacked in the press lately for not supplying a free Anti Virus and Malware package. Due to the vast number of Ipad and Iphones people are now writing viruses for them. One to watch out for is Mac Guard, a spoof that asks you for money to get rid of the virus it created. Put a decent package on your PC and you'll have no problems. I paid £10 on Ebay for my three user license for Webroot which is an excellent package.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
i dont think its letting me install AVG properly every time i try to run it nothing happens and its blocking me from using firefox I can only access internet explorer!

Bring it up in Safe Mode.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware or SUPERAntiSpyware Professional to get rid of the trojan, or spybot which is free, if your trying to install another firewall/antivirus you need to delete the first one first,

phoenix

May 18, 2009
I would def run malabytes in safe mode.If it wont let you. Reboot in safe mode with networking.Then download Malabytes and run.

Jan 30, 2008
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware or SUPERAntiSpyware Professional to get rid of the trojan, or spybot which is free, if your trying to install another firewall/antivirus you need to delete the first one first,
got all three , done the business but THE WINDOWS AUTOMATIC UPDATE SETTINGS FACILTY WAS STILL DISABLED . had to source Tom Rafterys to sort it!

Last edited:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
try downloading Ad-aware ,the free version , i had a trojan and this isolated it and put it in the virus fault enabling me to continue to use the pc, im not that much of a tekky so cant explain the ins and outs but it worked

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
You say its a trojan not a virus, the first thing you need to do is disconnect from the internet, you have no idea what information the trojan may be extracting from your computer. What indicator do you have of the trojan any messages or any other info?
As many have said there is no perfect solution each AV/maware, etc works against their own database of infestations and no of them catch everything.

If all else fails try the application HiJackthis to check your system, and then use the forum http://www.majorgeek.com for detailed help.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here