Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] OT New York

Jan 21, 2012
Thanks for the advice. Mrs has booked a private car from JFK to the Hudson Hotel which I think is right on central park. Already bought passes for the EST and a few museums. Other than that just gonna wing it. Only thing I insist we do is to go to ground zero to pay our respects.

Cheers !

They do a nice touch at ground zero by putting a white rose in the name of the person that died on their birthday.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Nope, you're right!
dea2f07696fdfa2207ced07c97b6bebf.jpg

dd031c5a787843d8dcf8dce387bad9b6.jpg

[emoji106] [emoji41]

They're great photos to be fair. I just thought there were other places that people don't bang on about that were better. And central park was INCREDIBLE. I could have spent days wandering round central park. Though we went in summer.

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire
They do a nice touch at ground zero by putting a white rose in the name of the person that died on their birthday.

Thanks for that. I lost some colleagues that day so just want to go and pay my respects.

Heard so much about NYC im just grateful to go experience it as its on my bucket list. The mrs has just told me we are in business class and the weight allowance is ridiculous> Should i be worried shes taking a suitcase in a suitcase? ???

Jan 21, 2012
Thanks for that. I lost some colleagues that day so just want to go and pay my respects.

Heard so much about NYC im just grateful to go experience it as its on my bucket list. The mrs has just told me we are in business class and the weight allowance is ridiculous> Should i be worried shes taking a suitcase in a suitcase? ???

We didn't actually go shopping when we went because we only went for 4 days and wanted to do all the 'tourist' stuff. Busy time but i loved it so much. This thread has got me wanting to go back there again lol

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
They're great photos to be fair. I just thought there were other places that people don't bang on about that were better. And central park was INCREDIBLE. I could have spent days wandering round central park. Though we went in summer.

I spent hours wandering around central park in heavy snow, absolutely wonderful. That was the day before those photos were taken. Highline was good but in spring and summer I bet it's beautiful.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
If I were only going to do one tall building, I'd do Top of the Rock because you get to see the Empire State in full glory. Go late afternoon and see the sun go down and the lights come on.
But don't do it when it's pissing down, like I did, and not be able to see much apart from clouds.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Off to New York for 5th time at Easter. Thinking about staying outside of Manhattan, possibly Brooklyn for something different and potentially a bit more value for money. Budget is reasonable, say £600-£650 for 4 nights so open to suggestions.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Off to New York for 5th time at Easter. Thinking about staying outside of Manhattan, possibly Brooklyn for something different and potentially a bit more value for money. Budget is reasonable, say £600-£650 for 4 nights so open to suggestions.
Im going 1st week of Easter. 27th March.

We are staying at Chelsea. Planning to see usual sites, but also Highline, Brooklyn Bridge. Eating at Ellen Stardust diner for some Americana. Will see a show. If weather is ok go to coney island. Definitely go to 911 memorial.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I rented an apartment for 4 nights in Park slope...Brooklyn. .. I can send the info if you pm me...600 odd dollars all in...I have also rented in prospect heights also similar costs...the subway trips back into Manhattan are short and cheap....but in fact Brooklyn has more then enough to see...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I rented an apartment for 4 nights in Park slope...Brooklyn. .. I can send the info if you pm me...600 odd dollars all in...I have also rented in prospect heights also similar costs...the subway trips back into Manhattan are short and cheap....but in fact Brooklyn has more then enough to see...

Thanks, message me the details and ill take a closer look.

Did find a good deal on the Knickerbocker in Time Square which had just been totally refurbed and around 30% off which looks good.

Also just booked some New York City FC for $40 each. Can't be bad to see Lampard, Pirlo & David Villa tear it up. Never been to Yankee Stadium

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Thanks, message me the details and ill take a closer look.

Did find a good deal on the Knickerbocker in Time Square which had just been totally refurbed and around 30% off which looks good.

Also just booked some New York City FC for $40 each. Can't be bad to see Lampard, Pirlo & David Villa tear it up. Never been to Yankee Stadium

The nicest area of Brooklyn I went to was Carroll Gardens which has a realy nice neighbourhoody vide going on, not to mention some good restaurants. Could be worth a go.

I stayed in Williamsburg on South 2nd Street. It's a tad loud down that end but plenty going on.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
The nicest area of Brooklyn I went to was Carroll Gardens which has a realy nice neighbourhoody vide going on, not to mention some good restaurants. Could be worth a go.

I stayed in Williamsburg on South 2nd Street. It's a tad loud down that end but plenty going on.
Park Slope... and the 5th Avenue strip of very trendy bars shops and restaurants is a very cool location...plus right next to prospect park which has loads going on. Subways are plenty too.

Carol Gardens is up and coming but it borders on the red hook and gowanus areas which are a bit industrial.... in my view....although I have eaten in a nice Italian in Caroll Gardens...

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
I'm going for the 4th time in May. We've found a 3 bedroom apartment on Airbnb and the cost split 3 ways makes it far cheaper than staying in a hotel.

Fran112

Jun 6, 2011
Waterlooville
I'm going in May too, gonna be there for the last game v m,boro! What chances some one will be showing it in a bar? Any suggestions on where if they are?

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

I heard you could buy these delicious cupcakes next to a diner from two quirky waitresses who work at the diner. One has a great rack and the other father's in "the slammer" for Madeoffing people's money. She was extremely rich and now doesn't have two pence to rub together. The former hasn't met too many blokes she doesn't fancy.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Shopping in Manhattan isn't so great to be honest (best bargains are at a store called Century 21 - very close to the 9/11 site. It looks like a bit of a jumble sale inside but tons of good stuff in there). If you are forced into a shopping trip, go over the river to Jersey City (no sales tax) or Woodbury outlet mall (bus ride away).

Agree with [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] on Top of the Rock. Queues will be way shorter than the Empire State as well.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
If you want to go to MSG. Go and see the Rangers rather than the Knicks.

They are a better team and the crowd is far more like a football match for a hockey game.

And there's a Century 21 just by the Lincoln Center as well if you're staying further uptown.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here