Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] OT New York

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Im going tomoz....gonna try and watch the Blackburn game in a bar on Sat morning as Bein are showing it!

Brighton games are normally shown at Legends Bar at the Football Factory just opposite the Empire State Building but it’s not showing on their schedule at the minute or if you fancy hanging out with the hipsters in Williamsburg try Banter in Brooklyn when they update their schedule for Saturday. Enjoy NYC

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
Brighton games are normally shown at Legends Bar at the Football Factory just opposite the Empire State Building but it’s not showing on their schedule at the minute or if you fancy hanging out with the hipsters in Williamsburg try Banter in Brooklyn when they update their schedule for Saturday. Enjoy NYC

Thank you... first time...sooooo looking forward to it!

Jan 21, 2012
photo (3).JPG I took this from Brooklyn Bridge on my iphone a couple of years ago. Such an amazing place and can't wait to go back.

Jan 21, 2012
I was hanging over part of the walk way on the bridge. I love this photo so much that my missus had it made in to a canvas for me.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Angmering - that is a heck of a good photo. How did you take it, it seems like it was taken from an elevated position

It's a quality photo.
The Brooklyn Bridge walkway is above the tunnel. It's nice a wide with a cycle track running along it too.

Tower Bridge? Sydney Harbour Bridge?

I would say do a helicopter ride. Then you get an incredible view.

If you have the option of a helicopter ride, of course, that'd be amazing.
I loved walking along BB - amazing view of the Manhattan skyline after a nice pizza in Brooklyn. :thumbsup:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I must say the amount of tourists on Brooklyn Bridge kind of detracts from the enjoyment. Some great views over in Brooklyn, especially from the Wythe Hotel bar terrace.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I'm off to NYC Thursday and can't wait! Went three years ago and will be trying some of the suggestions I didn't have time for last time.

Can anyone recommend a decent hotel in a central location please

Same !! On the BA AM flight out of Heathrow. Never been before and neither has the other half. Have been reading these threads to swot up on it so it looks like I know what im talking about :whistle:

Im going tomoz....gonna try and watch the Blackburn game in a bar on Sat morning as Bein are showing it!

Angmering - that is a heck of a good photo. How did you take it, it seems like it was taken from an elevated position

You might have already sorted your arrangements, but if you're flying into Newark, easiest way (in my experience) into Manhattan is the AirTrain from Newark airport to New York Penn Station (NOT Newark Penn Station!).

Cost me around $9.50 - roughly a 40 minute journey.
Out from NYC Penn and leisurely walked up to my hotel in about 30 minutes whilst taking in the sights.
Easy!

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
I personally think walking over Brooklyn Bridge is a must - great mix of history, photo opportunities and atmosphere. Yes, it is chokka with tourists (some of whom insist on setting up bloody great camera tripods right in the middle) and you have to dodge the cyclists who seem to regard it as their personal property - but it's only a short diversion. Also, if here by Wednesday don't forget to buy your ticket for the $1.4 billion Powerball

Last edited:

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
You might have already sorted your arrangements, but if you're flying into Newark, easiest way (in my experience) into Manhattan is the AirTrain from Newark airport to New York Penn Station (NOT Newark Penn Station!).

Out from NYC Penn and leisurely walked up to my hotel in about 30 minutes whilst taking in the sights.
Easy!

Flying into JFK mate...just gonna jump in a cab I think!

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Flying into JFK mate...just gonna jump in a cab I think!

Fair does, Taxi is easy but just another option if you decide you'd rather a cheaper option or if you're arriving around rush-hour:

AirTrain from JFK to Jamaica Station.
Metro (tube) from Jamaica to anywhere between Central Park and Empire State (no changes).
Cheap & Easy!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Fair does, Taxi is easy but just another option if you decide you'd rather a cheaper option or if you're arriving around rush-hour:

AirTrain from JFK to Jamaica Station.
Metro (tube) from Jamaica to anywhere between Central Park and Empire State (no changes).
Cheap & Easy!

Can confirm this is a piece of cake.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Quickest trip to Central Manhattan is with LIRR (Long Island Rail Road), about 20 minutes from Jamaica to Penn Station, about 7 bucks off peak.

I must admit if I have a lot of luggage I will get a taxi into Manhattan from JFK, saves lugging it around subway stations (a lot don't have lifts or escalators) and you get a great view of the city as you drive in - it is also an agreed flat rate so no haggling, yes it is more expensive but if there are two of you it's not too bad really

juliant

Apr 4, 2011
Northamptonshire

Easy!

Thanks for the advice. Mrs has booked a private car from JFK to the Hudson Hotel which I think is right on central park. Already bought passes for the EST and a few museums. Other than that just gonna wing it. Only thing I insist we do is to go to ground zero to pay our respects.

Cheers !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here