Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT: Lies you are allowed to tell your insurance company

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
when you make a claim they will want to send details, forms and eventually the payout to the post code given.

And if the vehicle is written off you have to send them the log book, when it don't match the post code they wont pay out.
Are people really that naive.

I think of you lie on ANY of the original questions you are ****ed when you try to make a claim.

I was presuming the OP meant they were lies people told just in order to GET their insurance, so that they won't get caught and done for driving without insurance, provided they don't have an incident.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I think of you lie on ANY of the original questions you are ****ed when you try to make a claim.

I was presuming the OP meant they were lies people told just in order to GET their insurance, so that they won't get caught and done for driving without insurance, provided they don't have an incident.

Thats a very good point. did not think of it in that context.

forrest

Aug 11, 2010
haywards heath
When i used to work in the alcohol industry years ago my insurance brooker told me to lie about my line of work as my premimum would of be higher if I said I worked with wine as they see that line of business as high risk. At the time he said you would be surprised at what job you did would effect your insurance costs.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
We once had a vehicle with modifications in the region of several thousand pounds. They were all declared. The insurance company had photos of them all and weighted the premium accordingly.
A few years later said vehicle was stolen. The insurance company refused to pay out for any of the modifications and would only pay for the book value.
I even wrote a 4 page letter to the ombudsman who deemed the offer to be reasonable.
Declare modifications? Don't bother in my opinion:mad:

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath
We once had a vehicle with modifications in the region of several thousand pounds. They were all declared. The insurance company had photos of them all and weighted the premium accordingly.
A few years later said vehicle was stolen. The insurance company refused to pay out for any of the modifications and would only pay for the book value.
I even wrote a 4 page letter to the ombudsman who deemed the offer to be reasonable.
Declare modifications? Don't bother in my opinion:mad:

I have to pay another £25 a year, for modification insurance which covers everything. As well as my premium being slightly higher.

The problem with not declaring them is, if you were to crash and take out a £30k car and it was your fault. And your insurance was then void, well.....

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
I'm of the impression that the difference in premium between whether the car is parked on the road, in the garage or on the driver is miniscule.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I'm of the impression that the difference in premium between whether the car is parked on the road, in the garage or on the driver is miniscule.

Varies from Insurer to Insurer but up to about 10% difference in premium between garaged and on street, depending on where you live.
Its becoming a little more complex that just "cheap if garaged" because of the increase in high value cars stolen by breaking into the house for the keys. In these target areas and these sorts of cars, there's often a discount to leave the car on the road as its harder to identify the owner's house!

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
I've worked in the Claims Industry for 25 years and it never ceases to amaze me what people think they can get away with....I could tell you some real stories, like the woman who was driving down a country road in Bedfordshire who collided with a peasant or the guy who had suffered from consistently high blood pressure, suffered 3 heart attacks, failed to tell us and then complained when we turned down his Critical Illness claim for...yes you've guessed it, a heart attack - all because when he asked if he'd suffered from any heart problems, including high BP, chest pains, etc...He'd said no!

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
1. OK
2. Too Far
3. OK
4. Too Far
5. Too Far
6. Ok (As long as the tint is legal and the wheels are the same size as they're supposed to be)
7. Too Far
8. Too Far
9. Too Far

Personally I wouldn't like about any as the insurance companies will find any excuse to not pay out, however I could understand if people bent the truth with the 'OK's' above.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Consumer Insurance (Disclosure and Representations) Act 2012 or if not a consumer Marine Insurance Act 1906 no incorrect answers are permitted and remedies are available to Insurers Also an offence under S174 of the Road Traffic Act 1988

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box

I work in young driver insurance, so most of them think they are F1 racing driver level and will never have an accident, so its just about getting on MID and not being stopped by the OB. We even put a box in the car to track their driving behaviour and still they don't realise how much I know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here