Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

OT: Lies you are allowed to tell your insurance company

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Agree. Not sure I would have even thought to tell my insurer of 6, but I wouldn't do the others, I'd just assume I'd get caught out of something happened and they wouldn't pay a penny.
Actually, as someone else pointed out, 1 isn't so bad if you actually have a drive, and park on it sometimes. No 3 is a small difference (8k vs 10k) but it doesn't make much sense to me, as I don't suppose the insurance would be cheaper anyway.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
1. I park my car on the road outside the house but tell my insurer its garaged/on the drive. Ok or Too Far? OK

2. I lie about the postcode where I keep my car, saying its kept in a nice area when its not. Ok or Too Far? OK-ish only because Insurance Company's screw the military if they keep their cars on camp, protected by guys with guns, behind massive fences. :censored:

3. I tell them I do 8,000 miles a year but I always do 10,000. Ok or Too Far? OK

4. I tell them I do 3,000 miles a year but do 30,000. Ok to Too Far? Too Far

5. The insurance is in my dad's name because its cheaper, even though it is my car. Ok or Too Far? Are you a second named driver if not too far.

6. I have a new exhaust, alloy wheels and a window tint but told them no modifications. Ok or Too Far? Too far and you are a idiot.

7. I told them I was 21 but I'm actually only 18. Ok or Too Far? Too far

8. I said 5 years NCD but I haven't got it. They never check anyway. Ok or Too Far? Too far but i could be persuaded to change my opinion

9. I drive without insurance because its too expensive. Ok or Too Far? Go to jail, do not pass go, do not collect £200

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
1. I park my car on the road outside the house but tell my insurer its garaged/on the drive. Ok if you have a drive! or Too Far?

2. I lie about the postcode where I keep my car, saying its kept in a nice area when its not. Ok or Too Far?

3. I tell them I do 8,000 miles a year but I always do 10,000. Ok or Too Far?

4. I tell them I do 3,000 miles a year but do 30,000. Ok to Too Far?

5. The insurance is in my dad's name because its cheaper, even though it is my car. Ok or Too Far (assuming you mean 'Main driver')?

6. I have a new exhaust, alloy wheels and a window tint but told them no modifications. Ok or Too Far'ish?

7. I told them I was 21 but I'm actually only 18. Ok or WAY Too Far?

8. I said 5 years NCD but I haven't got it. They never check anyway. Ok or Too Far?

9. I drive without insurance because its too expensive. Ok or WAY WAY WAY Too Far?

this. except 6, i think one can reasonably not mention (modest) alloy wheels and (modest) exhaust change, after all how are you expected to know the factory specification. you brought it like that, right? 19" rims on a Ford Ka is too far, but some nicer 15" alloys ok. technically, you'd have to tell the insurer if you've got any non-OEM or pattern part and i bet anyone not using the stealerships wouldnt be able to say that honestly.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
this. except 6, i think one can reasonably not mention (modest) alloy wheels and (modest) exhaust change, after all how are you expected to know the factory specification. you brought it like that, right? 19" rims on a Ford Ka is too far, but some nicer 15" alloys ok. technically, you'd have to tell the insurer if you've got any non-OEM or pattern part and i bet anyone not using the stealerships wouldnt be able to say that honestly.

Like I said before, if the changes don't affect either a. the value (that you might try to claim) of the car, or b. the car's performance, I can't see why the insurance company would need to know.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Average Car insurance costs £750. Typical fine for driving without insurance £180. Not really that much of an incentive!

That's not comparing like with like though. I presume £750 is for a year? A fine is for a single instance of driving whilst uninsured. Also, a typical fine is 1.5 times weekly wage in court or a fixed penalty of £200,although I believe this is soon to rise to £300. Then there's 6-8 points on your license.

As for all your questions, I've never lied about any of them but then my insurance is only about £200 on each of my cars (I'm 50, live ina nice area and have a clean license tho)

Dec 29, 2011
1. Too far, sometimes insurance doesn't cover road breakins/thefts if it's not garaged, I wouldn't risk it.
2. Too far, too easy to prove you lied.
3. Very much OK, hard for them to prove anything.
4. Too far, easy to prove this.
5. OK, but only because it saves thousands of pounds and is fairly hard to prove.
6. Too far, easy to prove, and wouldn't make a huge different to insurance prices I imagine.
7. Too far, stupidly easy to prove and makes your insurance invalid.
8. Depends, if I had 4 or 3, I might stretch to 5 and claim ignorance if asked. If I had 1 or 2 it's too far.
9. Obviously too far.

My basis seems to be on if it's easy or hard to prove. If I could drive with no insurance and no-one could prove it, I'd definitely do it.

Cars

Feb 13, 2012
Haywards Heath
Like I said before, if the changes don't affect either a. the value (that you might try to claim) of the car, or b. the car's performance, I can't see why the insurance company would need to know.

Research shows that people who modify their cars are more likely to make a claim, so when declaring mods you pay a higher premium.

Doesn't matter what the mod is, even changing the interior in your car can be a reason to void insurance.

As stupid as it is....

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I work in Insurance and so far this week I've had a never ending increase in the bare-faced lies being told to me about people's car insurance.

I just wanted an unscientific but hopefully unbiased poll on what lies people think are acceptable and what you think is too far...

This pretty much covers mu week so far:

1. I park my car on the road outside the house but tell my insurer its garaged/on the drive. Ok or Too Far?

2. I lie about the postcode where I keep my car, saying its kept in a nice area when its not. Ok or Too Far?

5. The insurance is in my dad's name because its cheaper, even though it is my car. Ok or Too Far?

6. I have a new exhaust, alloy wheels and a window tint but told them no modifications. Ok or Too Far?

7. I told them I was 21 but I'm actually only 18. Ok or Too Far?

8. I said 5 years NCD but I haven't got it. They never check anyway. Ok or Too Far?

9. I drive without insurance because its too expensive. Ok or Too Far?

If you personally would do any/all of these, what is too far? Anything?

If you personally wouldn't do any of these, what lies would you tell?

The only one that is probably just acceptable is 3. 1, 2, 4, 5 and 6 may well become apparent when you make a claim and as a result may mean the claim isn't paid! 7 and 8 are wrong but could easily be checked by insurers by insisting on NCD proof and the driving licence number (poss even certified copy of licence). With regard to 9, why is he ringing the insurer?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Ok so hypothetically:

I used to live in a small housing block in Brighton with a shared drive. Only once in a blue moon did I ever get a space on that drive, and it got to the point that I started to not bother even trying and just parked on the street. If something happened to my car, it would obviously have been on a "rare exception" when it wasn't on the drive. Would that have worked on the insurance claim, or would the fact that it wasn't on the drive at the time render the insurance void?

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Tell them the truth on everything. Insurance companies are evil *******s who will try to do anything to get out of paying up. One of my top pet hates.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Not sure why people are getting het up about the 8k to 10K question. They are just looking for an indication of what you do. 8k to 10k is much difference in the grand scheme of things however, 3k to 30k is a considerable difference and means you are on the road a lot longer and therefore more of a risk of having an accident.

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
Insurance Companies not paying up when the money is needed - OK or too far?

Why does it take so long to settle a claim, especially when you are the innocent victim?!

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
1. I park my car on the road outside the house but tell my insurer its garaged/on the drive. Ok or Too Far?
Ok if you park your car on the drive/garage a percentage of the time

Too far.

Ok for that increase anything over say 5000 miles out I would say was too far

Too far

5. The insurance is in my dad's name because its cheaper, even though it is my car. Ok or Too Far?
Too far

6. I have a new exhaust, alloy wheels and a window tint but told them no modifications. Ok or Too Far?
Ok as they are not performance enhancing

7. I told them I was 21 but I'm actually only 18. Ok or Too Far?
Too far and surely illegal?

Too far

9. I drive without insurance because its too expensive. Ok or Too Far?
Way too far. IMO these people should have the car impounded and crushed.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Mostly online nowadays.

when you make a claim they will want to send details, forms and eventually the payout to the post code given.

And if the vehicle is written off you have to send them the log book, when it don't match the post code they wont pay out.
Are people really that naive.

BHAZiggy

Pedant
Jan 12, 2011
Hastings
when you make a claim they will want to send details, forms and eventually the payout to the post code given.

And if the vehicle is written off you have to send them the log book, when it don't match the post code they wont pay out.
Are people really that naive.
Like you need to ask.:D

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada

If the claimant uses a Solicitors or an Accident Management Company, all correspondence and payment can be (and usually is) sent to the representatives.
Fake or incorrect addresses are created and used every day in fraudulent claims.
Are you really that naive? :cheers:

phoenix

May 18, 2009
1. I park my car on the road outside the house but tell my insurer its garaged/on the drive. Ok if you have a drive! or Too Far?

5. The insurance is in my dad's name because its cheaper, even though it is my car. Ok or Too Far (assuming you mean 'Main driver')?

6. I have a new exhaust, alloy wheels and a window tint but told them no modifications. Ok or Too Far'ish?

7. I told them I was 21 but I'm actually only 18. Ok or WAY Too Far?

9. I drive without insurance because its too expensive. Ok or WAY WAY WAY Too Far?

Funny enough, exactly the same as Titanic :thumbsup:

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
If the claimant uses a Solicitors or an Accident Management Company, all correspondence and payment can be (and usually is) sent to the representatives.
Fake or incorrect addresses are created and used every day in fraudulent claims.
Are you really that naive? :cheers:

Your missing the point, the address of the registered keeper of the vehicle would have to match the policyholders address for them to pay out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here