Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] OT - Cocker Spaniels

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
2nd right
It's looking like when we've chosen, that will be the only one that's still available, so you're in there.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Our lovely girls :)

delidog.jpg
P6160230.JPG

ShanklySeagull

Justice for the 96...
May 30, 2011
Littlehampton
Yes 8-10 years. Got to enjoy them while they are there...Newfies that is...

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I promise (ish) not to keep updating this thread with pics of our new pup, but here's one pic, a week before he arrives:

Huey small jpg.jpg

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Ollie, the rescue has him as two years which seems about right. He is as mad as a Springer should be.
I'd like to see that at Crufts - shoulder feel right, head shape is good, required level of madness...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Can anyone recommend a good vet in Hove?

I'd like to check out the prices of decent local vets to see if they're similar, or if any are more extortionate.

Thanks

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Interesting article on springers, stuff on cocker spaniels here too. Springers seem like a right handful

https://totallygundogs.com/the-trouble-with-springers-part-one/
Friends and I used to walk a springer in rural Sussex. He was full on mental. There was nothing he wouldn't do to retrieve your stick. Being irresponsible kids, that meant throwing it over the densest undergrowth you could find, and he'd come back wagging his tale, with the stick and a few new cuts. Maybe he was calm with his owners in the evening, but whenever I saw him he was mad.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Interesting article on springers, stuff on cocker spaniels here too. Springers seem like a right handful

https://totallygundogs.com/the-trouble-with-springers-part-one/

I completely agree with that article, it pretty much backs up my earlier post on this thread.

I work ESS and they are a joy to own. If you train them properly from an early age, they don’t exhibit any of the supposed problems associated with the breed

Recall isn’t difficult to teach, start as soon as you get your pup.

It just takes time, consistency and patience.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
I completely agree with that article, it pretty much backs up my earlier post on this thread.

Recall isn’t difficult to teach, start as soon as you get your pup.

It just takes time, consistency and patience.

I wish our rescue's owner had done it properly, but the good news is he learning really quickly.

Honky Tonx

Jun 9, 2014
Lewes
SPANIEL RAGE SYNDROME!!

Suggest that you google this. Single colour Spaniels more prone ( Golden, blond, black and red ). In my experience your best bet would be to go for a Blue roan. Great dogs, love exercise, great with Children and families. Have had Spaniels since 1984. Currently have a Springer who is still totally mad at 17 years old. Charges through the woods and over fields.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Been watching this thread with interest as my Wife and I are thinking of getting a dog and I have always loved cocker spaniels. We have never had a dog before so have no idea what we would be letting ourselves in for and wondered if I could get some advice from the experienced owners on here?

We have 2 young kids and would like to take our dog in to work with us (a busy office environment) so need a breed that is good around children and people. Do you think that a cocker may be too high energy and difficult to train for someone with no experience with dogs?

Also reading about spaniel rage as per the post above, any tips on finding a reputable trustworthy breeder?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here