Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] OT - Cocker Spaniels

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Apologies missed the running bit
No that's cool. It's the wife that runs, and I don't think it's that fast to be honest, so I reckon a Cav could keep up no problem.
good luck choosing a colour

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Damn! It was referring to it as “your” decision, wasn’t it?
It was all of it :D

I'd convinced the mrs that we'd be best with some time without a dog for a while - she wasn't delighted about it, but I think she was somewhat accepting of it. But I felt it was inevitable we'd get another soon enough and decided to surprise her. Now being a dumb chap, I assumed she'd be overjoyed with the surprise and I'd get plenty of brownie points. Well she was happy, but within about 3 minutes of finding out we could have another dog now, she was asking for 2. Women :facepalm:

Cockers need lots of human attention, so I don't think another would particularly alleviate them of separation anxiety. And having a dog that loves the family is a joy, but I don't see that having 2 of them adds much more than that, but it does add to the costs, the help you need from family when you're away, and I'm not sure how we'd fit two in the car.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If you want her out for hours and too nackered to talk when she's back then it has to be a Boarder Collie:rave:
My wife grew up with Border Collies and loves them, and I had a Bearded Collie who was wonderful, but they need more exercise than we can provide. If my wife was trying to keep running until the dog was tired, a Border Collie would be the death of her.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
If you want her out for hours and too nackered to talk when she's back then it has to be a Boarder Collie:rave:

Its not entirely surprising, but sad, that many of the dogs needing re-homing are border collies. We used to have one when I was a teenager and that dog wore me out and I was young fit and healthy!!

pb21

Apr 23, 2010

I’ve seen this before, but this is the first time since we got a dog in January, a German Shorthaired Pointer. :mad:

Found it funny the first time, but now find it both incredibly hilarious and incredibly anxiety inducing as this is exactly what our dog does/did. She is now on the lead until her recall is as close to perfect as possible, probably until she is two or so, another 18-months. :ffsparr:

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
I'm looking for a new family dog. I don't have experience with many breeds, but of those I do, Cockers are currently my favourites.

Can anyone recommend any other breeds that are perhaps similar - size, temperament (gentle, good with kids) etc?

And if we do go for another Cocker, can anyone recommend a good breeder? Also, any idea what a Cocker from a good breeder might cost these days?

Thanks

neurotic.

Labs are outstanding choice imo.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Another vote for the Cockapoo

We've had Woody for four and a half years and he is an amazing dog. Friendly, brilliant with kids and just an amazing companion.

We got ours from https://www.rosedaledoodles.com/ who I cannot recommend highly enough
Glad that you've got a lovely Cockapoo. Not sure how I feel about a business producing that many puppies, that then live in kennels, as opposed to a family home

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
Glad that you've got a lovely Cockapoo. Not sure how I feel about a business producing that many puppies, that then live in kennels, as opposed to a family home

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that all their puppies are homed very quickly after birth. Ours was one of a litter of six that were all out to owners by 8 weeks.

I know what you are saying though.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that all their puppies are homed very quickly after birth. Ours was one of a litter of six that were all out to owners by 8 weeks.

I know what you are saying though.
Just from a bit of googling, 8 weeks seems to be the recommended time. Much before that and they don't get used to their own kind - much after and they miss out on bonding with a human family, instead of their dog family (and other reasons no doubt). I imagine it's possible for the dogs in their care to be constantly well looked after and exercised etc, but it's quite clear the operation is about making money, rather than your typical dog lady who loves living with animals.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
family pic 6 weeks d.jpg

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
How are you supposed to choose?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here