Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ostigard - Sold To Napoli 18/07/2022

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
As this is the only conclusion that can be reached I find it odd that so many haven't reached it.

If a short term job needs to be done, then The Duffster will do it, before thundering off to his prearranged loan (transfer) elsewhere, at the 11th hour.

It's ridiculous to think the club would hold up Ostigard, Van Hecke or anyone else's march towards 'The Next Ben White' just to sit on the bench for 3 games this season, as the window slams shut.

Where is Van Hecke though ?

Read he had some great reviews last season and lots of clubs monitoring him yet not seen him at all pre-season in either photos or friendlies

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Where is Van Hecke though ?

Read he had some great reviews last season and lots of clubs monitoring him yet not seen him at all pre-season in either photos or friendlies

Naylor mentioned a while back that he is injured. No indication of whether it is a minor injury or longer term.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Which will mean that we are bringing in a central defender or that Duffy stays in the squad.... or both.

If Duffy is happy to be a squad player, I'd definitely keep him.

Not gonna start many, especially against ball playing teams, but would start him v burnley/West ham etc. V good option if a goal up or playing for a draw with 10 mins to go. Also a good option if going long trying to chase a game. Best defender for heading/scoring in attacking 3rd.

There's still life in the old dog. He's a decent defender who just isn't the best with his feet. But he's a useful experienced squad member

Sue1983

Aug 15, 2018
If Duffy is happy to be a squad player, I'd definitely keep him.

Not gonna start many, especially against ball playing teams, but would start him v burnley/West ham etc. V good option if a goal up or playing for a draw with 10 mins to go. Also a good option if going long trying to chase a game. Best defender for heading/scoring in attacking 3rd.

There's still life in the old dog. He's a decent defender who just isn't the best with his feet. But he's a useful experienced squad member

He is also useful to removing Maupay from a situation when he sees red mist.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Soooo.
This leaves us with 4 centre backs as our only recognised first team defenders to play Burnley. Dunk, Webster, Duffy and Veltman plus a LWB in March. At least Potter won’t have too much of a headache over which defenders to pick :lol:

Duffy would be my first name on the sheet to play Burnley. We'll need plenty of blood and thunder at the back for that one.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Interesting timing for Ostigard move. We could have done with an extra central defensive option for the weekend. Surely we could wait until the end of the month and loan him out then if we're well covered in the position.

I hope he's not going to be another like Clarke, where we continually loan him to Championship clubs. Hopefully it will be one more loan and then come into the squad

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
I live in the CCFC catchment area, and nearly all my close relatives up here are CCFC fans, several of them season ticket holders.
Inevitably therefore, last season I watched a vast number of Cov games very much with Ostigard as the focus, and also had reports on him from my relatives on any games I missed.

He was not popular to start with, made lots of early mistakes, but as the season progressed he got better and the fans warmed to him, to the point they were gutted to see him leaving at the end of the season.
His strength was his defending, he virtually single handedly won every ariel duel in both boxes all season, but his nickname amongst some fans was '50p head' because his headers frequently went off at odd tangents.

My overall impression of him is that he definitely has potential, but equally he isn't the finished article yet, and in my view is not ready for Premier League football.
I think another season in the Championship is a great idea, use it to burr off some of those rough edges he still has, and hopefully next season he could be our next Ben White.

chrisg

Apr 9, 2012
1 year contract and 1 year loan at Stoke.
Can someone explain how that benefits the club as he will be out of contract again next June and free to walk.
They can’t rate him that highly with only 1 year, unless the player refused to sign for longer.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Can someone explain how that benefits the club as he will be out of contract again next June and free to walk.
They can’t rate him that highly with only 1 year, unless the player refused to sign for longer.

We always had the option to trigger another year, so looks like we did that. But agreed doesn't inspire confidence, unlike Ben White who signed for 3 years I think it was before he went out on loan.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Weird. There is obviously something we are a little concerned about. Maybe his ball playing skills? Good move for him though and a real chance to convince us and get in the squad next year.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
It either means an extra year or another option at the end of this year.

Otherwise there is no point in the new contract for the club.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
We always had the option to trigger another year, so looks like we did that. But agreed doesn't inspire confidence, unlike Ben White who signed for 3 years I think it was before he went out on loan.

That was done in May (?) though. While I'll guess we'll know more later, it sounds like this is a different deal. Perhaps with another option to extend.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Weird. There is obviously something we are a little concerned about. Maybe his ball playing skills? Good move for him though and a real chance to convince us and get in the squad next year.

I think Ostigard has made it clear he would not sign a long term contract if he isn't going to be in the 1st team.

One year contract (presumably with a one year option) would make sense.

At the end of the loan he either signs a long term contract with us and moves into the 1st team or is sold.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

it may because of the player not the club.

Someone else wrote earlier in the thread (and no idea where it comes from tbh) that Ostigard didnt want to sign a new contract with us, unless he had some sort of chance at first team football here, he would sooner move.

So, it could well be that the club were willing to offer something a bit longer, the player was reluctant and so the club exercised the 1 year option to stop him walking on a free??

If he starts doing great at Stoke, they can always re address it in January.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
it may because of the player not the club.

Someone else wrote earlier in the thread (and no idea where it comes from tbh) that Ostigard didnt want to sign a new contract with us, unless he had some sort of chance at first team football here, he would sooner move.

So, it could well be that the club were willing to offer something a bit longer, the player was reluctant and so the club exercised the 1 year option to stop him walking on a free??

If he starts doing great at Stoke, they can always re address it in January.

“I need to take a choice and as I have always said, I need to play. I am not going to risk my career to sit on the bench so that’s my main thing as a football player.

So I want to play for a team where I can play rather than sit on the bench for a better team, so that’s my opinion on being a footballer, and that will be my main thing to think about.”

While its not exactly the same thing, I think it kind of indicates that he would be unwilling to sign a long term contract if he sees little chance of getting into the starting eleven - which is apparently not the case right now.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Stoke, the poor sod.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here